“Beautiful place in every way”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Las Terrenas
The Peninsula House
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This hotel is absolutely perfect and is a must visit.The house and the grounds are perfect the hosts and staff are perfect and the food is perfect.
The views from house and pool are amazing as well.
I can't say one bad thing about this place it's definitely worthy of being voted number one hotel in the Caribbean ( which it was recently)

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason J

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I felt all my concerns melt away as we drove up to the front of the house. Greeted by the owners even though we were late arriving, a sumptuous dinner was laid out before us on a collection of beautiful china. Our room was stunning and the bed allowed us to drift happily off to sleep.

The remainder of our stay was just as relaxing. The service was impeccable, the house truly a home to all who enter, and the attention to every detail superb. As elegant as it was, I never felt out of place leaving my shoes at the door.

After spending a week at the Peninsula House, we traveled on to our next destination on our honeymoon. There we cut our stay short so that we could return for an extra week in the care our new best friends in the Dominican Republic!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing. Roms 5 and 6 have the best view, 4 is the most private.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnAndCrispin
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is a lovely, family run property located in Samana (the northern area of the Dominican Republic). It is located outside of the town of Las Terrenas and is set up high on a hill overlooking the sea. Very private and secluded. Beautifully appointed. Beautiful gardens and grounds. There is a private chef who really knows his way around the kitchen serving delicious and interesting food. The table settings change with each service and they are something very special. The service is first rate not only with food and drinks, but housekeeping, logistics and concierge service as well. Marcela, Thomas, Marie Claude and Cary made sure that every detail of our stay was attended to. Angela made the best Mojitos I have had yet, anywhere! There is a swimming pool and pool house on site as well as a separate beach "club" a short drive away....where Luca and the girls will take amazing care of you as well! We loved the dogs and cat and miss them already! Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve dinners were delicious - about 5 courses with hors d'oeuvres and champagne first - and very well done. Also, we played a fair number of games of pool before and after dinner in the lovely pool room, which is right off the terrace where meals are served. This is a real gem! We came home fully rested and relaxed. The beds were especially comfortable and we enjoyed spending our time reading, exploring a bit of the island and eating!

Room Tip: There are six guest rooms here, within a large and beautifully appointed home. All are decorated wi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jean R
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We are now in Miami, wishing we were back at the Peninsula, and I have been thinking about what to say about a place that bills itself as not a hotel but a B&B type place that beats most of the 5 star hotels we have been to. And tonight sitting at a restaurant in Miami, my children said "We wish we were back, even though we may not have liked all the food it all tasted so good, we miss the calm and the dogs!" This is not a hotel and although we had our children with I wouldn't recommend it for kids or grown ups that cannot negotiate a beautifully set table or a house full of very nice things. It is like being in a English country house but yet not having to be the perfect house guest, as in all your needs are taking care of. You leave the room and someone is there to tidy up, have never stayed anywhere were I have Frette towels in the bathroom nor as beach towels… Lunch is at the Beach house which is lovely and Luca takes good care of the house guests.

When an issue arrived they were incredibly helpful. I cannot recommend this place enough and feel so sad knowing that it is up for sale as I am wondering if this could possibly continue as is. Have never been to anything like it and unless I can get back before they sell it am wondering if I will again. Go now!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank fabfourNJ
Reviewed 25 March 2013

The Peninsula House is a place you will not want to leave, except maybe to just grab some dinner in town.

The house is perched high on a hill that faces the ocean. Once you manage to find the entrance, you'll drive up the steep hill and arrive at the gorgeous house, a blend of colonial, spanish, and asian architecture, with even more diverse and tasteful interior decor and gorgeously serene views of the ocean and Las Terrenas coast.
NOTE: The hotel instructions can be somewhat vague, unless you are used to navigation to the tune of "go past three hills, then tun left at a white house and continue on the road until you come across a gate." So ASK for very clear instructions when you go.

The rooms are big and beautifully decorated, as is the rest of the house. What we loved about The Peninsula House, is that you are made to feel at home immediately! Jerome, one of the hosts, is just wonderful and goes out of his way to make you feel comfortable immediately. Because the hotel has only 6 rooms, it is very easy to feel like this really is your personal tropical abode.

We were concerned of not being 'ocean front'. But this in fact worked better. The hotel has a great beach house less than 7 minutes away. And the beach with its crystal clear blue water is amazing! It goes on and on with few people in sight. You can drive there yourself, or the hotel staff will be happy to drive you. It was so much nicer to spend the day at the beach and then retreat to the house in the evening; it gave us a good opportunity to engage in other things and visit the town and feel like we actually lived in Coson/Las Terrenas.

The town is not far away either--about a 10 minute drive from the hotel. It is buzzing and full of wonderful and fun people. Great restaurants as well. Which leads me to the only downside fo the Peninsula House: The food is not great. Everything seemed deeply cooked in butter, butter, and more butter. The food was not typical Caribbean food. And that is fine, but I believe they aimed for a French style of preparation and it just was not working (unless you like butter). Also, you would think that they would serve local tropical fruits given they are in a tropical country. The fruit at breakfast left something to be desired. It did not taste fresh or local. Beautiful China, though.

Overall, a magical place. Just go enjoy dinner in town.

Room Tip: They have 6 rooms and all are wonderful. But ask for a room that directly faces the ocean of course...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank LenParci
Reviewed 14 February 2013

The Peninsula House is one of the most perfect places I have stayed.

The region of the DR where the hotel is located (Las Terrenas) is fairly accessible, but it somehow remains almost empty. Running three miles on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and seeing exactly zero people is a beautiful thing indeed.

The house itself sits about 10 minutes from the beach, high in the hills. The view is the best I've seen in a long time. The house has just 6 rooms, and the owner and staff make you feel as though it is your house. The rooms are all quiet different, but each is large and carefully decorated.

The food was top notch, as was the service. Thomas, Sophie, Jerome, Luca and all of the other staff have managed to create the perfect balance of service - it is both low key and attentive. Jerome's mojito is easily the best I've had. Also try the cafe Coson at the beach house.

I would suggest avoiding activities - and I am normally an activities junkie. We saw humpback whales, which was nice, but the entire time I was wishing I had stayed at the beach relaxing.

I think everyone should go, but at the same time I want to keep quiet about it because I want to have the place to myself. If you are deciding between The Peninsula House and some other Caribbean destination, go to The Peninsula House.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Patrick O
Reviewed 15 April 2012

The most challenging part of The Peninsula House is finding it - but once found it doesn't disappoint. The old world charm began when Jerome greeted us at the door after our drive up the long and winding road to its door (thank you Lennon and McCartney). We were barely across the threshold when we were offered drinks as we were shown to our chamber. Chilled champagne followed! The entire house was a lovely and welcome taste of European decor and atmosphere. Our room was adorned with a chandelier in the entry and opened to a spacious bedroom complete with a four poster and a separate area filled with a velvet couch and chairs. Antiques and artwork were everywhere. The doors and windows opened to the balcony which overlooked the rolling, manicured lawns. I sank into the couch for a time and sighed when I entered the enormous bathroom. I was delighted by the french style bathtub - the large double walk in shower and the L'occitaine soaps and shampoos. I didn't think it could get much better - then came dinner. A starlit night on the wraparound porch - exquisite china and service. Jerome hovered but didn't annoy. The meal was to die for - one of the best we have had anywhere on our travels. Marie Claude and her staff, Sophie and Jerome outdid themselves. The history and culture that this hotel offers is a lovely throwback to the old world elegance of France, Africa and Asia - right down to the dishes and other adornments. Breakfast in the morning on the sunny balcony was complete with silver coffee and tea pots and toast and jam. Unfortunately on our visit there was construction noise from a neighbouring villa - however it didn't dampen my enthusiasm for this magical place. It is a delightful escape into another world. I promise you will be charmed.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple