My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon on May 25, 2012. We stayed for almost a week. The resort was beautiful and very, very clean. The staff was very friendly and we actually formed friendships with many of them. The resort provided a perfect balance of calm, peaceful, paradise and party, hardy fun. If you are looking to just relax, this resort is for you. You can always find a peaceful spot along the beautiful beach or by the pool near the front gate (which it seems not many people knew about). If you like the party, the other main pool, by the lobby is the place the be. They had water games, volleyball tournaments, and other activities for all ages. The food was ok. They did their best by trying to satisfy all tastebuds, and there was a pleathra of different things to eat. If you didn't like something, you could always go and try something else, and if you want to stick to the safe side, there is always fruit and french fries. LOL! The rice was always good and so was the chicken and fish. Drinks were endless...beer, wine, soda, water... whatever you wish. Beware of the little lizards running around. We actually had one in our room for 2 nights, but my husband finally caught the little thing and kicked it out on the patio. Apparently, they are harmless. There are also tree frogs, and tiny tiny frogs the size of a penny (or smaller) hopping around. The water is crystal clear and the reef is not far from the beach where you can see a variety of tropical fish. Beware of the pirates trying to push and sell you things while you are on the beach. If you don't want to be bothered, just state "No dinero" and they will keep moving. Be midful, it does take a 2 to 3 hour ride to get the resort from the Santo Domingo airport. The ride didn't bother us because we at least got to see the surrounding towns and a lot of the DR side of the island. It was very interesting. This place is near perfect. We definitly didn't want to leave when it was our time to depart. We do plan on going back in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 pools Jacuzzi Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, basketball court, volleyball net on the beach Water activity and scuba diving centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Main buffet restaurant and 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars Snack-bar Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, bars and disco. Rooms 582 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Club Golden Junior Suite, Junior Suite and Family Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Air conditioning Ceiling fan Terrace or balcony Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (with additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Ironing set (available on request) Superior Junior Suite: balcony or terrace, sitting area with sofa-bed, ironing set, coffee-making facilities, private guest service phone line, umbrella, VIP amenities. Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scout Water park Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Personalised diets on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TravelUp, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo Hotel Las Terrenas
- El Portillo Beach Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo Dominican Republic/Samana - Las Terrenas