I just got back from a group trip for a wedding and I had such an amazing time on this vacation!
We came from the airport at night so we couldn't see much, however, on the way back to the airport at the end of the week, it was a lot of fun to look out the window and see a mixture of both beautiful countryside and small towns.
The resort was small but beautiful and the rooms were nice and cleaned well. The cleaning staff do not speak much English, but are very patient if you need anything.
The staff in the buffet and the a la cartes were very friendly. They are very good at remembering people (not names, but they will acknowledge you if they know you). Winston was my favourite staff. They take extra time to be very friendly.
The entertainment staff was so much fun. I don't know his real name, but he called himself Tony Montana, Sexy Black Banana - he was the highlight. SO funny!
The Oriental restaurant was the best. Try the duck.
The pool is small, but not over crowded. And the beach is beautiful with tons of places to swim, or snorkel and look at fish and coral. The beach was very clean and well maintained.
There are a lot of organized activities throughout the day, or excursions, or you can just lay about and have a good time (if that's your thing). Good for family as well as couples. There were a few topless people on the beach. It made our group a little uncomfortable but if you talk loudly about how inappropriate they are, they move. ;)
Las Terrenas is nearby and for $10 each way we got taken there and back by taxi. There's a touristy corner of the town, but the rest is very local which is great for experiencing culture.
The taxis will also take you to El Limon or Samana city but I'm not sure of the cost.
The only complaint I have would be that the consisteny of drinks between bars and bartenders varied a lot... they were never bad, but they were never the same.
If you're thinking of having a wedding there, they set up a beautiful beach wedding with a reception in one of the a la carte restaurants.
If you go to Samana, I suggest leaving the resort as much as possible to experience the place. If you're a beach bum, go to Punta Cana or Puerta Plata. Samana is for those with an adventurous spirit and those willing to learn about the places they visit. One thing I noticed was that the locals are very proud to live where they do, and so I think it is a good idea to learn why. :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 pools Jacuzzi Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, basketball court, volleyball net on the beach Water activity and scuba diving centre WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Main buffet restaurant and 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars Snack-bar Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, bars and disco. Rooms 582 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Club Golden Junior Suite, Junior Suite and Family Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Air conditioning Ceiling fan Terrace or balcony Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (with additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Ironing set (available on request) Superior Junior Suite: balcony or terrace, sitting area with sofa-bed, ironing set, coffee-making facilities, private guest service phone line, umbrella, VIP amenities. Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scout Water park Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Personalised diets on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo Hotel Las Terrenas
- El Portillo Beach Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo Dominican Republic/Samana - Las Terrenas