We stayed here during the first two weeks of July and were located in block 10. We had not originally booked into this hotel but due to a closure at our original resort we were moved here, resulting in a 4 hour transfer (!!!) from the airport in Puerto Plata.
The hotel is stunning and our Junior Suite was beautiful, lovely and spacious with the bathroom alone bigger than many UK hotel rooms!!!
Staying in block 10 meant we overlooked the second pool in the resort - this pool was virtually deserted during our first week so it was almost like having your own private pool!!! We also had a wonderful barman Alam at our pool who provided excellent service!
The buffet restaurant had a different theme each night and the staff were always friendly and attentive. Food was okay I thought...but then I am a fussy eater! We didn't eat in any a la carte restaurants during our stay although there is a fish, an Italian, an oriental and a gourmet restaurant on site.
The evening entertainment wasn't great - they tried hard but the shows were very amateurish. Not ideal when you can't leave your resort!!! Cheesy entertainment, the lobby bar or your room were your only options for the evening! The disco was deserted on the few nights we went - no more than 10 people!
I would recommend this hotel but it is a very long transfer from Puerto Plata - when you've just come off a 9 hour flight from the UK then a 4 hour coach trip is not much fun!!
Two holiday hints: 1) book into a Junior Suite, it's well worth it! 2) try a Coco Loco cocktail - they're lovely!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 pools Jacuzzi Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, basketball court, volleyball net on the beach Water activity and scuba diving centre WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Main buffet restaurant and 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars Snack-bar Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, bars and disco. Rooms 582 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Club Golden Junior Suite, Junior Suite and Family Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Air conditioning Ceiling fan Terrace or balcony Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (with additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Ironing set (available on request) Superior Junior Suite: balcony or terrace, sitting area with sofa-bed, ironing set, coffee-making facilities, private guest service phone line, umbrella, VIP amenities. Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scout Water park Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Personalised diets on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo Hotel Las Terrenas
- El Portillo Beach Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo Dominican Republic/Samana - Las Terrenas