“Our best Vacation yet!”

Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Reviewed 8 October 2012

This was our second trip to the Dominican and again, it did not disappoint. (previously stayed at Cayo Levantado) From the airport to the hotel to our room and to the beach! A beautiful 2 weeks in a beautiful country hosted by beautiful people!

The reception staff were outstanding and friendly, ready to help with anything we needed, whenever we needed it, Gracias Carlos and Leandro! Leandro, you were right, you gave us the best room!

The dining staff always had great smiles and enjoyed talking with us when they could. The language barrier was a wonderful experience, they always helped me pronounce my Spanish words and I helped them with their English, always ending in giggles. Not to mention the food in the buffet and Al La Cartes was excellente! Gracias Ramon and Christian!

The bar staff were fabulous, even the new trainees paid attention to our faces and always seemed to remember what we were drinking. Muchos Gracias to Josephina, Martina and Nadia, you ladies really kept us smiling!

The entertainment staff were so much fun, always stopping by to say hello and asking us how our vacation was going. Gracias Juan Carlos and German for giving us great laughs everyday and really making us feel welcome.

Gracias to the housekeeping staff, very little English was spoken but once I learned how to say Mas Cafe y Mas Agua (more coffee and more water) I got big smiles from all of them and they always complied. Our room was well cleaned daily.

To the Photo Staff of Photoventura, Gracias for your daily smiles and beautiful pictures, and the professional way you take them, we will cherish them forever.

We indulged ourselves in a couples massage at the Bahia Spa, what a beautiful experience for two. Very professional and respectful. Thank you ladies!

The vendors on the beach selling their wares were friendly and not overly pushy, thank you all for sharing your stories with us and even showing us pictures of your children. And thank you for respecting our 'no gracias' at times.

Finally to the Gran Bahia chain. El Portillo is a beautiful location, the beach is immaculate, the snorkeling is fabulous and the chairs and cabanas are plentiful. We had a wonderful time and will most definitely return. Having a snack shop right at beach side is an added bonus.

hasta el próximo año!
Leila & Jeff Thompson room 3204

4  Thank ledejena
Customer Servic... B, Jefe Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

Dear Guest,

First let me inform you that your opinion is valuable to us, therefore we are extremely proud and happy for having left a pleasant memory. We are especially appreciating your positive comments about the quality of our service and our staff. Comments like that you send us, are what motivate us as a team every day to improve the quality of service we offer.

We hope to welcome you again to the Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo and to thank them in person. Contact us at our email address info.elportillo@bahia-principe.com.

Regard,

Gran Bahía Príncipe El Portillo

Write a ReviewReviews (6,205)

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Long travel from UK - but worth every mile!

We traveled as a group of 18 family and friends aged from 17 - 69 years and the hotel met the needs of all ages.

Hotel overall - lovely grounds that our very well kept and very clean. All gardening staff worked very hard and were always friendly - as were all staff - As not many English stay at this hotel (long airport transfer?) they loved speaking to us

Rooms - Again very clean and air con kept the room lovely and cool. Sheets changed daily. Didnt pay for safe - put valuables in case and used a combi lock.

Bars - bar staff were very friendly and would make drinks to suit and not expecting a tip but would wait on you hand and foot should you do so! The nightclub was open till 2am and the DJ would happily play requests and even let us use our own i-player to play music. You do get a lot of Spanish at this hotel so get used to their music as you'll find yourself dancing as they do by the end of the holiday (it just happens!)

Entertainment staff - To fully appreciate this very hyper bunch requires and open mind. The usual naff hotel entertainment but once you got chatting to them, you realize how hard they work (14 hour days) and what genuinely nice people they really are. Besides, if you really cant handle it you can sit in the more quiet bar

When we left we were given such a lovely send off by the staff which I've never experienced before. Our rep Dave was also great - couldn't do enough and was down to earth and a genuine nice bloke. He didn't push us to buy trips at his welcome meeting - just told us what we actually needed to know. We did go on a few trips which I've reviewed

Overall, the holiday was just perfect - this echo's the views of others that I traveled with. The people are so lovely and make you feel at ease.

Room Tip: Stayed in block 11 = great pool and ground views. Large rooms with Jacuzzi and separate walk in sho...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jackiedainton72

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time out to communicate the impressions of your vacation with our Tripadvisor community. We would like to think we are not a smaller hotel, we are a family hotel and we do everything possible to make feel our guests like part of this great family. In the name of our staff , we would like to thank you for vacationing with us at the Gran Bahía Príncipe El Portillo and we hope see you very soon in our property.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us in our e-mail address info.elportillo@bahia-principe.com.

Regard,

Reviewed 7 October 2012

I recommend this hotel to everyone. I work for an Airline and I have travelled quite a bit and I truly love El Portillo I have been back several times over the past year and half and it has been amazing every time. Very relaxing, clean, lots of fun and great people (very very safe). I have never meant such hard working people in my life from 7 am until 2 am the animation team is absolutely amazing (Rosa, Nicole, Carlito, Juan Carlos, Ariel & Daviel, German and managers Robert and Leinny). I personal think they are over worked but they never show it they are there to make your vacation the best. Reception manager Carlos will take good care of you from start to finish he truly gives amazing customer service. The waiters are amazing always on top of it you always have a drink and never a mess in front of you.

Room Tip: The resort is small you can walk from the beach to security in 5 to 7 minutes any of the rooms are g...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Stacey B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo and for being such a faithful guest.
We are very proud to have guests like you who know so well our All Inclusive quality service and recommend it to your friends and all the TripAdvisor users.

Do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit in order to give you the treatment that you deserve us in our e-mail address info.elportillo@bahia-principe.com.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 5 October 2012

This was an excellent hotel if you are looking for a secluded beautiful water front location. Food in the buffet was very good and varied. The theme restaurants were excellent. Drinks were strong and plentiful. Staff is very friendly and accommodating and gave us anything we asked for. The room we had was a good size room it was perfect on the first floor and close to the lobby excellent service by the cleaning lady, pool and beach and the balcony was great. The beach was amazing, warm turquoise, crystal clear water, with a fantastic live coral reef barely 50 feet from shore. That being said, if you are looking for a place to relax and enjoy the beach and entertained every minute this is the location for you, the animation team: best I have ever experienced! Morning to night they entertained, got people involved, made the stay a true pleasure. They worked tirelessly to keep things going! The beach party and ideal couple’s game will forever stay in my mind! The resort itself is beauty, lush greenery, awesome the main lobby space. I recommend going to the lobby bar for a cappuccino with rum! The. Disco - conveniently away from the main rooms, had A/C good lighting, fabulous dancing. I also would like to point out the service was EXCELLENT the people that worked there were friendly considering how many people they had staying that week we will also like to thank Nidia,Carlos at the lobby bar and Maryles at the buffet restaurant for making this vacation so special, and specially to you Carlos Rosario the front desk manager for everything and making feel at home and with all that was going on that week and weekend you still managed to stop and talk to make sure everything was fine WITH OUR STAY. Again thank you Carlos for making us feel at home!!!! All in all we did enjoy ourselves, and defiantly will go back next year. Well done Carlos for making us so satisfied with our VACATION..........You should be very proud of your hotel, your staff.............And your hard work certainly pays off. Take Care, be well see you soon!

Brenda Perez, Rocio Morel ... Brooklyn, NY

PS. Im sure i missed alot of people is so hard to remember all there names..... :-)

Room Tip: Jr. suite is consider vip large rooms excellent service
2  Thank lee924

Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort, especially the services from our front desk department and that you appreciated the professionalism of our staff, we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal- the continuous improvement of our services. We are very proud to have received your excellent comments regarding our employees.

Yours respectfully,

Reviewed 1 October 2012

First off let me say my husband and I have traveled to the DR before. Both my husband and myself are very nuteral people we have stayed in 5 star resorts to some that I don't even thing have a rating so we are not the type of people to just nick pick. Although this was the first time to Samana. With that said, El Portillo is a decent resort for the price. If you are looking for a 5 star resort then your best bet is to go elsewhere. We did have a few little problems durning our stay but still enjoyed our time. I think for us the main problem was when we arrived we did not realize it was a national holiday for the people of the Dominican Republic. We were hoping for a nice quite relaxing few days and instead headed into what seemed like a whril wind of hundreds of people. Don't get me wrong, by all means everyone deserves a getaway. It was just way too many people for our liking. You really could not even find a spot in either of the swimming pools. So we decided to hang on the beach which is really what we came for anyway, did not seem to have a problem finding a chair out there (I guess everyone wanted to hang out by the pools instead.) The beach area is clean and pretty, it is not as pretty as Punta Cana though, but it was nice. I liked that there was always some sort of breeze blowing through all the time. The rooms well, were average at that. We booked a regular room in hopes of being able to upgrade when we got there, but because of the holiday they were not able to do it till the next day and by then I was already unpacked and did not want to pack and move again since we were just there a few days. I would suggest to upgrade to a junior suite the rooms are alot bigger. The food was average we had the buffett which had a very big selection of food so unless you are a very picky eater you should not go hungry. The grounds and lobby area were nice and keeped cleaned. Now for the few problems we had, and again they were very minor problems, but still not something you want to incounter on vacation. The first night our toilet broke, our second night the toilet broke again. Along with 2 days of not having our mini bar refilled and our room not being cleaned at 7:00 in the evening. But I will say when we called the front desk they were on top of it. We had a maid in our room within 20 mins and a toilet fixer as well. I also would like to point out the service was good the people that worked there were friendly considering how many people they had staying that weekend, and a special thank you to Carlos the front desk manager I know he was going crazy with everything going on but still managed to stop and talk to make sure everything was fine. Again thanks Carlos!!!! All in all we did enjoy ourselves, but the question is would we go back? No, there are to many other places that we would like to explore. Let me also be honest and comment, we were only there for 4 days and for my husband and myself 4 days was enough.

Room Tip: Up grade to a juinor suite or higher if you can the regular rooms were way to small.
4  Thank Newfielover
Customer Servic... B, Jefe Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay in our hotel. We appreciate your comment and value your opinion for the overall betterment of our hospitality.

We appreciate the observations concerning the service and the staff, as it has helped us to reinforce the operational practices that are executed once a day. Indeed, our front desk Manager and our housekeeping manager have had a meeting with the staff. Due to the uncommonness of your case, we hope that this one experience has not overshadowed your perception of Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

We are sorry that we were not able to impress you with our services. Please let this not be a motive to not stay with us in the future as I can assure you that we continuously work with our staff in order to improve the quality and promptness of our services.

For any enquiry please contact us at our email address info.elportillo@bahia-principe.com

Reviewed 1 October 2012

This was an excellent hotel if you are looking for a secluded beautiful water front location. Food in the buffet was very good and varied. The theme restaraunts were excellent but in the off season only one is open per night and you have you have to be firm to get a reservation.Drinks were strong and plentiful. Staff is very friendly and accomadating and gave us anything we asked for. For those that don't speak Spanish be aware that this is the primary language of most of the staff but we had fun learning and communicating with the staff which also helped when we went off property. The rooms were clean, the AC worked fine, the mattresses were a little firm, the rooms are good sized, and the balcony was great. Did not use the gym, our group ( 50 somethings) was there mostly for relaxation. The beaches are amazing, warm torquise, crystal clear water, with a fantastic live coral reef barely 50 feet from shore. That being said, if you are going there expecting to be pampered and entertained every minute this may not be the location for you. It is quite an adventurous 2 1/2 hour ride from the Santo Domingo airport over some mountain roads, through small towns (at speed), with houses, kids, dogs, and people on horseback going past you at 100KPH. The resort is located near Las Terranas, a small French town that has not learned how to be a tourist trap so don't expect the usual t-shirt shops and excursion companies. The buldings are quite rustic and you have to see them to get a feel for the area. We spent a couple hours in town and that was enough but, it would have been fun to go back at night. You can find activities if you are active. There are dive tours, excursions to island and secluded beaches where you will be the only people there. We arranged an all day trip through Cheap Carribean that included a visit to a local village, a cigar "factory", a local families home (plantation), and a ranch where we had lunch and then went to the Limon falls. It was a very interesting adventurous day. I will review the Limon falls on that site. All in all a fantastic visit and our only complaint was that we did not stay longer.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank DJB1954

Dear Guest,

Firstly, we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Tripadvisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our service.

We greatly appreciate your comments about facilities, services, grounds and the friendliness of our staff; Comments such as like yours are what motivate us as a team everyday to improve the quality of service that we offer and fulfill our commitment with customer satisfaction.

We hope to have you back in the near future at Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo and I take the opportunity to send a very warm greeting.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us in our e-mail address: info.elportillo@bahia-principe.com

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Still a very beautiful property. Hot food was actually hot and a good selection. Staff and drinks were very good. Do NOT purchase the upgrade. We were with another couple and they wanted a room in building 1. The desk clerk said they would have to purchase the upgrade to get the room they wanted. We too decided to upgrade as the building is close to everything. The clerk told us what was included in the upgrade. Room upgrade, pool towels and robes in the room. 20% off of spa services. VIP bar and lounge in another building. Oh and 4 specialty resturants. Free T shirts and a bottle of some booze. All for $150.00 for the week, $30.00 per room per night. The lady in guess services presented a different list. I asked for a document to better understand what was included. No list exists. No towels or robe in the room. Two lamps missing light bulbs, not broken, but missing. VIP bar and lounge, this was a joke. There was table in guest services building with 5 bottles of booze and a sofa. Oh, you made your own drinks. Only allowed 2 specialty resturants. My wife had to ask for the T shirts and bottle of booze. When checking out we were told we would not get the 20% off of the spa services as we had purchased a promotional upgrade. No idea what that meant. One morning as we were leaving the room for the beach a basket of fruit was delivered, we waited for the guy to place it in the room. When we returned, the basket of fruit was missing, no idea why. Would I go there again? YES, but would not purchase the upgrade. We were there for 5 nights in September 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank drbutch

Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for having taken time to express your impressions of your past stays with us. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our service and facilities, we put our greatest interests and value in our guest’s opinion.

We are very proud to receive comments and opinions such as yours. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, thanks to an arduous team work and the devotion and commitment of each member of our staff. Be assured at Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo will never cease in its effort to achieve our goal – the total satisfaction of our guests.

We are very sorry to hear about the fact that in some aspects we could not fulfill your expectations. The mentioned occurrence in your Room up grade have concerned us so much, therefore be advised that your comments have been tried with the up most diligence and have been referred to the General Hotel Manager as well as the different Manager of the departments involved in order to take the appropriate measures in your case. Comments such as like yours are what we strive for everyday to improve the quality of our service which we provide.

We hope to welcome you again at Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo. Please feel free to contact us at the following address whenever you are planning to come back: info.elportillo@bahiaprincipe.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Las Terrenas
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
#6 of 54 in Samana Province
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 54 in Samana Province

Been to Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo? Share your experiences!