Very clean, well kept resort with good food/drink, nice people and great beach.
Please read bellow more details about rooms, beach, food-drink and other stuff, thanks for helpful votes :)
Check in was one of very few problems, there was some mess to assign us a room (pre-booked via travel agency). Furthermore, we had to wait strictly to 3 PM to get a room (arrived 11 AM), they were not able to ask cleaners to do the room first..
In general, reception work could be better, not much English spoken. We had some minor technical issues in the room (broken bulb, broken toilet seat), asked twice to fix it - never done..
Clean, spacious all with nice balcony. Cleaning 8/10 points, just some minor comments.
Our junior suite was large enough and had separated tube with jacuzzi and shower. We pay extra for this junior suite but finally we found out that standard room would be enough too.. In case you need a room for sleep/shower only, save your extra for JS for other stuff.
Our room was in the back of the resort - some 3-5 mins walking distance to beach/all food-drink places. In case you walk often room-to-beach, ask for some closer one.
We asked (by mail before check in) to get a room in top floor, this was a wise choice - there is more privacy (rooms in ground floor has just rails in the balcony so there is no privacy for people staying in that rooms, higher floors has a solid wall on the balcony so you have much more privacy + less chance of any insect inside the room.
Unfortunately, doors are very simple so any noise from the corridor may disturb you at any time, mainly if you go sleep earlier and other - noisy - people come later on.
Our room had a connecting doors to other room, this may be a source of a lot of noise if your neighbors are not quite!
The beach is really one of main plus of the hotel. Great, wide, clean with palm trees all around - just what you expect from your Caribbean destination. Furthermore, just steps off the hotel beach, you find great bays and empty beach, just for you.
We pay extra trip (private car to drive to some of best beaches of Samanna - 200 USD / day/ car) - well spent money - they brought us to real gems of that area, empty great beaches. In case you are beach lovers, check with taxi drivers or some locals to get this trip.
Back to hotel beach, this was very clean, any mess brought by sea was cleaned immediately by hotel stuff so you have always clean beach.
Only drawback was that in busy days, there were not enough of sun beds so you really need to walk up/down to find your place.
Great snorkeling just 5 meters from your sun bead, small reefs just on the beach. You will love it!
Don´t forget your polarized sun glasses (if you do not have one, get them..) This will make your picture of the sea and beach even more "catalogue - like".
Photographers, spent some money for polarized filter to your lens - set your camera to auto - any picture you make, you can sell :)
Food and drink
I am a gourmet, still had no problem to get all I need at this point.
There is a main restaurant with wide choice of buffet, cold/hot - you always find something for you.
Small disappointment is that changes are just very minor so you probably eat same food more than once in your stay, still, everybody find his food there.
Nice outdoor seating.
There are 3 alacarte restaurants - we tried only one and agreed with wife and friends too that it´s better to stay with main buffet - you can try, but we just like the options of buffet more.
Selection of good rums and all local stuff is good :) The portions of rum you get will keep you happy all your holiday.. :) The choice of better quality alcohol is in the main bar / lobby. Beach bars serve you with basic quality of alcohol only.
Nice people with smile are a bonus of the resort, ola greets make your holiday even better.
Anytime you need something, just ask (space for improvement in reception).
Waiters in lobby bar in the evening may be quicker, go to the bar and do your order is quicker and safe to get what you want.
If there is something we really hate on the resort, this was the animation team. Always noisy, bothering with "funny" noise that entertains 10 people other 100 all around. For some that like ANY kind of fun, you may like this. For normal person that expect a nice holiday, they will just annoy you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 pools Jacuzzi Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, basketball court, volleyball net on the beach Water activity and scuba diving centre WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Main buffet restaurant and 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars Snack-bar Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, bars and disco. Rooms 582 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Club Golden Junior Suite, Junior Suite and Family Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Air conditioning Ceiling fan Terrace or balcony Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (with additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Ironing set (available on request) Superior Junior Suite: balcony or terrace, sitting area with sofa-bed, ironing set, coffee-making facilities, private guest service phone line, umbrella, VIP amenities. Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scout Water park Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Personalised diets on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo Hotel Las Terrenas
- El Portillo Beach Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo Dominican Republic/Samana - Las Terrenas