When we first booked this resort, it was because we were travelling with friends that were going here. The pictures on line looked ok, but we had been to some pretty nice places before so they didn't look spectacular. All I have to say is the pictures on line do not do this beautiful resort any justice. The resort is far more modern and does it while keeping the Donincan feeling in the design. The gardens are very lush and plentyfull. The buildings are spead out but nothing is really too long of a walk. We were very close to everything in Building 5. The pool, beach, buffets, and lobby are all within 20-30 steps of each other.
Hi-lites of our favorite things
Beach-Very clean! Never had an issue getting a chair under some shade. There is a lot of Coral, but is in patches. So there some of the most amazing snorkelling we have ever experienced!! In between the coral patches the ocean floor is very smooth and sandy, with plenty of room to swim around. This was great for our 7 yr old daughter. It keep her very entertained. Bring snorkel gear and maybe water shoes for the kids if they plan on exploring around the Coral as it can scratch.
There are vendors on the beach, but they dont bother you. If tou say no they just move on and they don't repeatedly bug. You can get a 1hr massage on the beach for $20 and it was well worth it!!
Pool - the main pool is quite large and never seemed crowded. There is a second pool at the top end of the resort and it was cometely empty!! Lots of chairs, but a bit harder to find shade unless you get there first thing.
Rooms- very spacious. The bathrooms are very modern. The decor is traditional to that area. Beds were a bit hard for our liking.
A la cartes - all very good
Buffetts - I am a very picky eater!!! I had no issues at all finding food that I loved. I have never been to a resort that i have eatef so well. No one in our family got sick at all while we were there.
Lobby - Big and nicely decorated. Wi-fi is free for one hour a day in the lobby. The furniture is grouped in conversation set ups and is very cozy feeling. The bar located just off the lobby served premium drinks and had a pool table and fooze ball table for the kids.
Gardens - Very lush!! Lots to look at. There a a feature pond that has some turtles in it. The Kids really enjoyed checking them out when we walked by.
Enertainment- The Circus show was amazing!!! The Beach Party was so much fun! The Annimation team was incredible!! Adrianna and Ruddy as well as the others were fantastic with the kids!!
Little Scouts - they were always around to see if the kids wanted to join in the activity of the hour or you could bring the kids to the club house for a break. There was entertainment every night for the kids if you wanted. They had movies playing, a variety show and a mini beach party for them.
Water Slide Park - again there are no good picture on line to show this feature! We were pleasently surprised by this little park. Are first thoughs were this was for little kids age 1-5. However our 7-9 yr old children played there for 4 hrs one day. There is a bar right there and plenty of chairs with shade huts available. Because it is further away for the main pool and the beach, there was no one else there but us. So we had a blast!
Service-Carlos and Kiera were amazing and helped us get settled. Everytime we saw them they asked how things were and if there was anything we needed to let them know.
Excursions - we went with a local Jonathan (vendor #40 also sells jewelry) we were introduced to by another guest. We did Walk the Plank ziplining and Bacardi Beach with him. He was terrific!! He picked us up in an airconditioned van as promised and took us to the GOOD zip lines for an amazing price. The travel agents people who try to get tou to book through them were going to charge $110 for zip lining and $95 for bacardi island. We got both for $120 per person and $60 per child. I promise you this was the Good zipline. 12 lines 13 tables they do the breaking for you!
All in all, we will go back for sure!! I would recommend this place for sure!
I hope your experience will be as great as ours!
Thank you to Bahia Principe El Portillo! You have really out done yourself! Keep up the amazing work.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services: 2 pools Jacuzzi Sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, basketball court, volleyball net on the beach Water activity and scuba diving centre WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Main buffet restaurant and 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars Snack-bar Pueblo Principe: local craft stores, live music, shows, bars and disco. Rooms 582 rooms including 4 types: Standard, Club Golden Junior Suite, Junior Suite and Family Suite. Junior Suites are larger than Standard rooms. Room facilities: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Air conditioning Ceiling fan Terrace or balcony Telephone Radio alarm clock Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (with additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Ironing set (available on request) Superior Junior Suite: balcony or terrace, sitting area with sofa-bed, ironing set, coffee-making facilities, private guest service phone line, umbrella, VIP amenities. Club Golden and Club Hacienda Junior suites (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scout Water park Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Personalised diets on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo Hotel Las Terrenas
- El Portillo Beach Resort
- Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo Dominican Republic/Samana - Las Terrenas