“Best holidays till today”

Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Almost everything 100%.
The food was not spicy. The food was always the same flavor.
In my particulr case.
Please review the terms of Portuguese food.
Almost all the dishes presented as Portuguese, have nothing to do with our food.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Luis M
Customer Servic... B, Jefe de Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Firstly we hope you had a good trip back home and we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Tripadvisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our service.

We hope to have you back in the near future at the Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo and I take the opportunity to send a very warm greeting.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

Write a ReviewReviews (6,220)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

To be honest the resort was a beautiful clean well-kept resort. The food was great the service was fast. Everything was fantastic until we were robbed nine days into our trip.
We were three couples traveling together from Hamilton Ontario Canada. As the three of us were together we decided to rent a safe in one room as it was strongly suggested by our trip advisor from West jet. On April 11, 2014 we were enjoying our day by the pool in the sun and walking on the beach. When we came back to our room everything seemed normal. I went to our friends room to go into the safe to get some headache pills for my wife. Our friends could not enter the safe. Her husband tried to get into the safe also but couldn't.
They said that they would call the front desk to have somebody come over and check the safe. When we were ready to go out for dinner around 7 PM I was called to the room and told that the safe had been broken into. Upon checking my contents in my bag I realize that there was $500 in American money stolen. The room that the safe was it and they also had $400 an American money stolen plus a wedding ring and a necklace gold necklace with a badge on it that belong to them. The next couple that were there also had all of their jewelry stolen.
The front desk was notified. It took about 5 to 10 minutes before one of us decided to go to the front desk and see what was going on and how come a representative or security was not at the room yet. Another five minutes went by until I could bring somebody to the room. Security came. A report was written with public relations as they were there also. Very little English was spoken.
After the report and everybody left we were told that the police would be getting called as it was a significant amount of money and valuables stolen. The next morning at 10 o'clock the Dominican Republic .
We gave the Dominican republic police report again of what I've happened and what have been taken. There was not very much English spoken because the representative when WestJet refused to come with us said he was too busy. The assistant manager Carlos at the front desk decided that he have to leave again with the monitor to check the room key to see who had entered our room. 15 minutes went by and I had to go and get the assistant manager at the front desk again as that we did not understand anything that was said.
After becoming victims of the Taft we became suspects . Our three rooms were searched top to bottom, linen, suit cases ,bags ,under pillows between mattresses everywhere that is imaginable the police and security went through.
I then had to go with the police chief to the pool area where our wives were to take the bags that were there bring them to the room and have the police took them an empty them on the beds and check all the contents in the bags. After an hour and a half we were then told we have to go to the police station and make a report.
After all that this debate here principate L Portillo in Samanna is not taking any blame whatsoever about the test. They are saying that nothing was stolen not the responsibility because there was no show of key entry and no damage to the safe.
My suggestion is do not trust the safe do not trust security do not trust housekeeping do not trust or believe anything that they are saying to you. You have to sign a piece of paper when you leave the resort to go walk on the beach and you have to sign in. That gives whoever is involved time to organize themselves and go and check your room.
To me it seems that all the staff Carlos the assistant manager and Melkar the other assistant manager the manager of the resort and the supervisor of security seem to be all involved in these fast because they do not take any responsibility and we have not heard anything but negative stuff from that Bahia Principe.

Room Tip: Make sure the safe is bolted to the wall. Any room is good
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
13  Thank Claude L
Customer Servic... B, Jefe de Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Levesque,

Cordial greetings from all the team working in Grand Bahía Príncipe El Portillo; we would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate the impressions of your vacation with our Tripadvisor community. It is clear that our customers are the most important, naturally so are their comments. Observations are treated with the utmost interest; as it is the best way to know what specific points we must focus our attention on to improve in all aspects.

Grand Bahía Príncipe El Portillo Hotel is known for our guests’ suitability, thus for this reason please accept our apologies for the inconveniences that you have experienced; your disappointment is ours to rectify, and to ensure that our guests do not leave with letdown feelings but rather those of satisfaction. As our goals are to fulfill those and meet our guests’ expectations, to turn the negative into the positive with finding solutions to our problems, we wish to welcome you back at our best and effective treatment.

Best wishes,

Grand Bahía Principe El Portillo

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I would like to start by saying that I would like to give a rating of GOOD. But only have a choice of 3* Average or 4* Very Good.
This is our second visit to Samana. The first time being 6 years ago when we stayed at the Bahia Principe Cayacoa. Weighing all things up, we preferred the Bahia Principe El Portillo out of the two hotels.

I have set out below the positives and negatives :

Flight into Samana –
6 years ago we flew directly into Samana. This time we flew into Puerto Plata and had to be coached 3+ hours to the hotel in a mini bus. The only reason for this is purely down to cost savings. If you are traveling with children this is definitely a consideration to take into account.

Bedrooms –
We had a Junior Suite in block 5 and I have no complaints. The rooms were well cleaned daily and the fridge topped up with Water and Beer x 2
The beds are firms yes but very comfy and I must say as a huge plus for this hotel there was absolutely no noise/disturbance at all from neighbours. Lovely and quiet.
99% of all the TV channels are in Spanish
Lots of hot water daily but not a power shower. We did however have a whirlpool bath but this took around 40 mins to fill – nice treat though

Beach –
Protected by a reef for a far as you can walk, so although not on the Caribbean side of the island the water is shallow and warm. Lots of fish for snorkelling and the hotel staff work hard to clean the beach daily.
BUT! Before we had even had the opportunity to walk down the beach we were informed by the Rep that the tour operators only advised that we walked LEFT towards Las Terrenas and not RIGHT. We were not told why at this time but since found out that someone had be held up and robbed by gun point.
So! Up to you really. I did turn right and had a lovely walk but it did make me feel a little uneasy.

Gardens –
Beautiful!! Full of lovely plants and birds. Try to find the Lilly Pond near the main gate to the hotel.

Pool –
There are two……………the main pool between the reception and beach. In a word - Horrendous! Packed to the rafters full of AI drunks standing in the pool drinking and smoking. At 5pm the already load PA systems was turned up and the drinking games commenced. The noise could be heard anywhere in the hotel grounds. Just dreadful.
The smaller pool near the main entrance to the hotel was lovely. Mainly couples in their 40+ who wanted some peace and quiet – we had a great time there. I honestly believe that this pool ought to be main ADULT Only. I say that because the other pool is for everyone and there is the most wonderful water park for the children and parents which on the two occasions we passed was completely empty . I was just stunned the kids would have just loved it but I honestly believe it was due to its location in the hotel grounds – either the parents or the children didn’t want to walk up there.

Entertainment –
???-Moving on!

Restaurants –
The main restaurant caters for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. The breakfast and lunch I found to be very good indeed. Dinner was supposed to be themed but they did not seem to stick to this and we had more than I fair share of ‘Mexican’ nights.
The restaurant did have a bit of a canteen feel to it however there was a good number of tables outside it you want a bit of peace.
The Beach restaurant was Buffet also. Nothing to write home about and I think it would have been nice to have a menu seeing the main restaurant was buffet also.
Italian – we didn’t try it
Fish Restaurant – probably up there with one of the top 10 worse meals I have ever had and most definitely the coldest 5 courses I have had to eat.
Gourmet – very nice……..had a lovely meal (Steak! Yum) and it is my fault that we did not book
until week 2 so only managed to go there the once.

Trips out –
If you can make the effort and take a trip to Las Terrenas (10 mins down the road in a taxi and a great little town – great beach too!!) Anyway there is an independent Tour Company called FLORA TOURS (you will find them on the high road). They are absolutely great and a good deal cheaper than booking through the Rep.
We went on the ‘National Park’ day out – great trip and we also did the ‘Horse Riding’ trip to El Limon – another good trip.
The same cannot be said for the one trip we did do with First Choice/Thompson – the Catamaran Day out which basically entailed 3 hours on the boat sailing around the bay in a mile radius and then lunch at a hotel!!! Not exactly as advertised and 90+USD each for this. Not impressed!

Ok a couple of moans –
In 2014 are we not past the stage of parading Reptiles, Birds and Animals up and down the beach so you can pay to have your picture taken with them!!! Really! and this is the hotel staff doing this. I didn’t see anyone taking up the offer so why not just stop it completely. From what I saw there was a monkey, a parrot, a snake and another reptile.

Secondly, the Privilege Club! Again part of the hotel staff who trick you into giving them your name and room number on the premise that they are your service/help staff for the duration of your stay. They are not! They ask you this as they do not have the information and as soon as they do they are calling your room, dropping off ‘invitations’ and generally hounding you.
They want just an ‘hour’! of your time to try and persuade you to join the ‘club’ for £14,000 or maybe £6,000 depending on how well you barter. If you want to waste an hour for a free bottle of Rum and a plastic watch then feel free but what I don’t agree with is trying to trick the elderly into giving out their credit card number to be entered into a free drawer!

In summary
This hotel is definitely aimed at Families (mainly South American) and not couples so if you are 40+ and want a quiet vacation then you may want to consider another hotel.
Also, once last consideration is that at weekends they open this hotel up to the locals and it becomes very very busy indeed.
Saying that we enjoyed ourselves as we managed to avoid the maddening crowd ‘most’ of the time!
Hope this information is helpful………give me a shout if you need any further information that could help.

Room Tip: Did not see the Standard Room however if you can upgrade to the Junior Suite I am sure you will enjo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Neatn0gs
Customer Servic... B, Jefe de Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Guests,

First of all thank you for your comments about your stay at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

T hank you for letting us know your observations and we sincerely regret for haven’t met your expectations, We appreciate the time that you disposed to share your valuable feedback with us.

It will be a pleasure to have a second opportunity to make of your vacation an unforgettable experience.

We hope to receive you soon.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I went to this resort in Samana with my husband and four year old son. It was absolutely wonderful. I've never experienced staff that was so focused on children. Even the wonderful resort Management played with my son. Specifically, I want to call out Carlos Rosario and Amilcar!! These handsome gentlemen made a point of knowing the guests including the children. The resort is large enough to have every amenity you could ever need, but also small enough to offer intimacy. Everything was easy to walk to. We interacted with a lot of the guests. Our children played together, parents drank together :) I had a massage on the beach ($10 Canadian for 30 minute massage), it was heavenly. When we first arrived my husband didn't like our room view because we could see construction. Carlos helped us right away and moved us to a room with a nice view. The water park was GREAT!! There were disney movies at night for the kids. The pool was right beside the beach. ... I don't really know what to say. These words seem insufficient. This resort ranks highly for a reason. I didn't even come close to exhausting everything this resort has to offer and I still had an amazing time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Juliana T

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen this Resort as your holiday destination. It is a real pleasure to know that we have provided you a wonderful experience and it is wonderful to read that you are considering coming back to our Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo.

Looking forward to seeing you soon

Regards from Dominican Republic,

Grand Bahía Principe El Portillo

Reviewed 13 June 2014

May I start by saying that if you are traveling from the UK to this hotel, or any other in the Samana, be warned it is a three and a half hour transfer time from Puerta Plata airport!
We arrived at the hotel on new years eve, now if you have been to a Bahia, before like our selves, you pretty much know what to expect in the sense of what the rooms are like which is normally Spanish style, clean but dated now I'm afraid. The dining areas are much the same only different sizes. The food is mostly consistent very good although I feel there may have not been as much choice here as at some of the larger hotels in the chain. There are two small pools one near the beach, and one nearer the entrance. this is classed as the quite pool but is some distance away from the dining areas. The beach is lovely with clear blue sea, and powder sand. The staff are very friendly and helpful especially the guy who runs the pool bar who is hilarious! The street that is a norm in most Bahia's is very small and has very few shops and is also the centre of the entertainment on an evening. Now don't get me wrong I did like this hotel, but it was let down by certain things one of them being the poor service at meal times, it was so badly organised there was never enough spoons! Every day if you wanted a spoon you had to bring you own lol! Your fingernails could have grown an inch before you could be served with a drink lol! Now in my opinion the servers are blameless in this, they are poorly managed and work very hard but get nowhere fast! In contrast the Grand Bahia Ambar in Bavaro, has impeccable service, faultless! The last point I would like to make is the honesty of the management. On the day of our departure, we had been told by the porter to leave our cases and he would place them on the mini bus for this service we tipped him and he told us to get on the bus There had been 4 couples, and 8 suitcase's. When we had arrived at the airport we found our suitcases had been left behind at the hotel and not enough time to retrieve them!
The hotel claimed it was our fault because we had asked for them to be placed in storage, which was a total fabrication! Also we would have to pay to have them shipped back home! The Thomson, rep took up our case, and fortunately I had video evidence of the suitcases being left right where I said, and Thomson paid for them to be delivered to our door 2 weeks later, and awarded us £140 compensation! If you are thinking of going to the Dominican Republic, and you are from the UK take my advice stay in Punta cana, the long transfer time, and the fact that the hotel is nothing special is the overwhelming factor here. By all means go to a Grand Bahia, but nearer the airport.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Madmikemacgyver1

Dear Guets,

Thank you very much for having taken part of your valuable time to share your experience.
All your comments are very important and we take them with responsibility and professionalism.

We are truly sorry that we did not fulfill your expectations and that we could not provide you with a more personalize service. We will review your opinions with all our departments. Expecting to have the opportunity to receive you again in one of our hotels to be able to offer you a more agreeable experience.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Samana

Receive our warmest regards,

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Samana is a truly paradise on this earth. Im so glad i chose this hotel to experience the exuberant beauty and serenity Samana has to offer. I met great people, spent quality time with my family and came back home with memories of a lifetime.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Tarina R
Customer Servic... B, Jefe de Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind opinion about our hotel, we really appreciate it because it helps us to learn about our guest needs and satisfy them.

We are really so happy that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel and our staff hope to welcome you once again in Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Now I have to start by saying that this is our first return to all inclusive in several years. We choose this because we were looking for a 10 day get away and this fit the bill. We soon discovered that many of our good friends have already been to this location and gave us all the inside info. Landing in Samana D.R> for the first time was excellent. Twenty minutes out the door right to our taxi a waiting. I must say the 40 minutes from the airport was easily missed. The magnificent coastline views were breath taking, and the small villages were quaint. Arrival at the resort was not rushed and Franklin at the front desk whisked us thru to our rooms in no time. A little change of the room ( asked for a king room) and NO PROBLEM. Clean rooms Clean grounds clean pool clean beach.. excellentea!! It was great to have the live music in the Buffet every night and Melba was mucho fantastico, a fun girl. The shows were pretty good yet the "Circus" was incredible!! Dont miss it. All in all a great holiday. The privilege club sales people need to back off!! tiresome ... Presidente beer was skunky yet you can always find something to drink.. Margaritas!! If your up for a day trip catch a cab for the day Phillip was awesome and check out Luis restaurant yummy and the Pina Coladas OH BOY unbelievable... great resort great times.. HOLA

Room Tip: All rooms are within reasonable walking distance to everything, if you book a King room make sure it...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bully37
Customer Servic... B, Jefe de Calidad & Customer Service at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We are really so happy that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel and our beautiful beach we hope to welcome you once again in Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo.

We hope to welcome you again to the Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo and to thank them in person.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
#5 of 54 in Samana Province
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 54 in Samana Province

Been to Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo? Share your experiences!