“Excellent service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Las Terrenas
“Excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My experience at Bahia Principe el portillo was more than expected. The staff was very kind, great food
, very clean. I was able to relax and enjoy myself. Great place for families or couples. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
3 Thank Antigua S
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice words about your recent stay at Gran Bahía Príncipe El Portillo. We are really glad that you have enjoyed our hotel, food and service.

We hope to welcome you back again next time to make your holiday once again a memorable vacation!!! For any enquiry.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana

Kindest regards,

Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (917)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I have always been leary in going to an all inclusive versus cruising but this place had definitely kept me interested for the near future. The resort was extremely clean. The rooms were excellent and we really appreciated not having any other resorts nearby. They only had two pools which worried me a bit but it worked out perfectly actually. One was where all the activities were and the other was amidst the villas where we were at. So if you wanted some quiet-near the room lounging, we had it. The restaurants were good. The servers were so attentive. The good proms were a bit small but expected that from the ala cart. We could always count on the buffet to satisfy everything else. The staff at the main dining room were superb. I found myself running out of tip money and had to get more because we were just so pleased everytime. I have been to several cruises and although there was a language difference between my family of 20 and the staff, we always felt like they were trying their very best to make us happy.

The beach was awesome. Calm waters that you can just relax in for hours til the sun went down. The best part was that the raised snack dining area right by the beach which took my breath away. Nothing like dining with the view of the beach just feet away and the warm breeze to add to the wonderful scenery.

Staff: wonderful. From the bar tenders to management, servers and the entertainment team, my family certainly made friends while we were there. The activities were fun. I participated in any contrast that's I could join and although I want very good at most of them, they made me feel like a winner anyway. We learned Spanish from one of the entertainment folks. David was great about it. - he taught me how to say my name in Spanish - Gingembre for Ginger pronounced Hinhembre! The same gentleman for the beach aerobics and beach activities. Nadiuska (hope I spelled her name right) got my 8 year old doing the bachata on our first night and he's been wanting to fame more with me ever since! Thank you! My first server at the Flamboyan bar Anabelle hugged me everytime I saw her! She was so friendly and helpful! - miss you Anabelle! Carlos Rosario was one of the best managers I've come across - very helpful and midday accommodating. I miss the resort and everyone there. Definitely I would recommend! !!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank gingerm111
Dear Guest,

First let me inform you that your opinion is valuable to us, therefore we are extremely proud and happy for having left a pleasant memory. We are especially appreciating your positive comments about the quality of our service and our staff. Comments like that you send us, are what motivate us as a team every day to improve the quality of service we offer.

We hope to welcome you again to the Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo and to thank them in person.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Concord, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I travelled with my family to the Dominican and stayed at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, from July 12, 2014 to July 19, 2014. The premises were beautiful, always kept clean and very well maintained. The food was good. There was always something there to eat for even the most pickiest of eaters. The rooms were always kept clean. We did have a few issues with the room, but was promptly looked after and addressed for which I have to thank and mention Mr. Amilcar, Assistant Manager, he is such an efficient person and an asset to the Bahia Principe. Whatever issue(s) you may encounter, he deals with it in a very professional manner. (My entire family was very impressed with his attention to customers and handling of issues). Keep up the good work Amilcar, you are a true "ASSET" to the Bahia Principe, they should be proud to have such an amazing customer service Assistant Manager at their disposal. Whoever is going to this resort and if you do happen to encounter issue(s), I highly recommend getting in touch with this gentleman. I can assure you, he will personally take it upon himself to make your stay there worry free.

The beach is beautiful. They also have two pools, I cannot comment on the pools as we spent all our time on the beach.

We went on two excursions: the first was a safari through Sunquest, which I was not impressed with. The second was to El Limon Falls, with Pelagio Espino. That was lovely. I personally recommend it. Mr. Pelagio Espino can be emailed at espino@hotmail.com or phone : 1-892-209-0916.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend this resort and would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank rozferns
Dear Guest,

First let me inform you that your opinion is valuable to us, therefore we are extremely proud and happy for having left a pleasant memory. We are especially appreciate your positive comments about of our facilities and our staff. Comments like that you send us, are what motivate us as a team every day to improve the quality of service we offer.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Belleville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We spent a fantastic week at the El Portillo from the 4th - 11th April, 2014. What an incredible vacation we will return to this resort for sure. We were so sad when it was time to leave. Wish we would have had more time there.
The resort is small and quiet easy to walk to everything. If you have trouble walking they will take you in the shuttle. There isn't much nightlife on the resort there is a disco bar. We still had a great time, making friends and hanging out regardless. The Lobby Closed at 11pm. The resort is usually quiet after 11pm when entertainment is finished.

Travel Info to Resort:
We booked our all-inclusive vacation with Sunquest they flew us with WestJet when we landed our Sunquest Rep Catherine Jacques meet us at the airport. We were taken to an air conditioned van with one other couple. We had tones of room in the van .The rest of the Westjet people went on a bus. The driver stopped on the way to the resort at a lookout point to let us see the beautiful view of the ocean from the mountain. When we came back they also let us stop and see the lookout again and at the huge cave when we ask if we could stop and see it. The new road is great. We had never seen unspoiled palm tree wooded areas before so much area with no hotels was wonderful sites to see. You get to go through a couple of small villages and see a little more how they live. (WestJet Flight was good also.)

** { I want to say a great big Thank You to Sunquest Rep Catherine Jacques. You are an amazing Rep.}

Hotel is spotlessly clean and grounds are kept immaculate, great job to all the staff for working in such hot temperatures to make the place a very beautiful and enjoyable.

Food:
The food was so great and the service was excellent.
Main buffet always had fantastic selection and great food.

Our favorite A la carte Restaurants: Great Food!!
El Pescador Seafood Restaurant: Love the staff they were so funny and we had a great night with them and our friends tonnes of laughs.
Orquídea Gourmet Restaurant: We loved the relaxing and romantic dinner we had here. The staff always making sure you had everything we need.
The buffet snack bar on the beach is great food was good. The section food and bar is open all day and it is located just off the beach. We never had to leave the beach area to head back to the main buffet for lunch.

Room:
We were in a junior suite, building 24 room 24203. It was a beautiful room overlooking the garden. But as I had surgery on my leg in November, I was not able to walk a lot. So they moved us to a royal gold junior suite by the beach building 1 room 1103 ground level it overlooked the beach buffet and beach. It was close to everything. The junior suite rooms are very spacious and have large bathrooms with a separate shower and Jacuzzi tub. The king size bed and pillows were very comfortable and the air con worked extremely well. The rooms were clean, no smells, there was no shortage of hot water, fridge was restocked daily without asking. The room also had a small table, 2 chairs and a couch in the room also a table and 2 chairs on the balcony. Our room was always clean and decorated.
We would leave a couple of $ in US. I also took things for the maids and there kids and left them out on the for them.

Safe:
I wish we did not have to pay $4 per day to use a safe.

Internet:
You get 1 hour a day free or it is $50us for 24 hour internet for the week. Next time I will pay for the week. As I forgot to turn the internet off when we got distracted and ended up not able to us it on 2 different days.

Reception:
****Special mention to Miguel you were a life saver to use and our fantastic vacation. Miguel did you find out if you are having a baby girl or boy yet? Please message and let us know. P.S.. I hope the cloths we brought for the babies have been helpful for everyone.
Franklyn on reception, what a great person, nothing was too much trouble always willing to help you, if you need anything just asks for him, I want to say thank you also to the rest of the staff as you guys do an amazing job at making sure everything is good.
The Hotel Manager is doing a wonderful job of managing the Resort she is always walking around and talking to guest and the staff to make sure things are good.
The staff is wonderful, friendly and so super helpful. We loved it there.
This is a few names I can remember.
Miguel, Franklyn-Front desk ,Feley-Porter , Ariel (Not too sure of the spelling) He made my morning Mimosa, Miguelina-Buffet, Ysabel- Buffet, Alberto- Lobby Bar Euclides-Beach Bar, Isabel, Yaris, Gysele, Luis. Also a big thank you to our maids as they did a fantastic job.

Beach:
Absolutely stunning beach with excellent snorkeling right out in front of the resort. There is a reef that breaks the waves. Each day we were fortunate to get a palapas for the two of us at the beach. The one day we had to wait for about an hour till someone left but we just set in the sun and enjoyed it.
*** I think it would it be possible to add one more row of palapas, as there seems to be enough space plus a few more loungers as people were looking for a place later in the morning..
We saw so many types of fish and urchins. We were able to take lots of underwater photos of them. We love the reefs so much went snorkeling every day. We took our own snorkeling equipment with us.
My favorite bar tender was at the beach bar his name was Euclides. He always made me amazing drinks.
*We never really had a problem with the beach vendors you just have to say no if they approach you.
***Please be nice to the dogs on the beach they are so friendly. They will lie beside you and never bug you. We never seen them on the resort just the beach. There is one that only has 3 legs and he always seemed to lie near us.

Pools & Whirlpool:
We would go to the pool and whirlpool late in the afternoon. They have 2 pools the main pool and bar by the beach where they have the entertainment team. There is also a quite pool and bar back by building 10, 11, 12. It is really nice to have a choose of pools. The whirlpool was up by the main pool.

Entertainment:
They had the entertainment team doing stuff on the beach and pool. They also did nightly entertainment shows. They were good and lots of fun.

Las Terrenas:
We went in to Las Terrenas by cab it was $20us. They picked us up at the resort lobby and took us into Las Terennas. They will drop you off and come and pick you back up at the arrange time you set. We had a great time looking around and shopping. We went to the l. You can walk, the street is quite busy and the beach is quite deserted at times and the walk would be super long. I never walked but some people we met did.

Excursions:
We did the 1/2 day horse ride to el Limon waterfalls falls and the full day jeep safari. Were both so worth it. I would suggest you look into these if you want an excursion.

Room Tip: All the room are close to everything. Junior Suites are bigger then the standard room. Building 10...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
8 Thank Cin_Marv
We are very happy to hear that you have found Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo a wonderful hotel and that the assigned rooms were suitable for you and your family.

Thank you for your review about the hotel. Your experience is specially valuable for us, as you can give us feed back along the time.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

First of all, I must say that the best thing about this hotel is the staff. They work hard and are always ready to help you.
The location is excellent and the beach is very good. We felt very safe In the hotel and in Samana.
The first room we had, the bed was really hard and we were waking up with back pain so they let us try 2 other rooms with different beds in order for us to pick the bed we wanted.
We are not big fans of all inclusive hotels but the food was very good and the fruits were amazing.
The area they need to improve is the rooms, they are outdated, TV's are old, doors are stained and just old and over used. Bed sheets were rough,felt like wool on your skin. This was the only thing that kept reminding me this was a 3 star hotel.
Other than that this is an excellent choice for the north side of the Samana peninsula.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank efegy
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all please receive greetings from the Grand Bahía Príncipe El Portillo; we would like to thank you for trusting in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts as your holidays destination.

We really appreciate that you have taken the time to give us your feedback on Trip Advisor as your comments are valuable to us in order to continuously improve our service and standards and we want to thank you for mentioning our staff.

We are looking forward to welcome you back again at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Samana.

Best regards,

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo from July 5 to July 12. This was our second time staying at this resort, and it turned out to be another success.
The service we received during our stay was wonderful. The staff was extremely friendly, and treated you more than just a guest.
The food was even better from our last stay. An exceptional variety of food was prepared fresh daily. The food was very tasty.
The beach was wonderful as usual. If you enjoy snorkelling, then this is the place for you. There are coral reefs right at the shore with plenty of colourful fish to observe.
Nightly entertainment was typical. The nicest show was performed by a local circus.

Overall, we greatly enjoyed this vacation and would recommend it to anyone deciding to visit Samana.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

you will be welcomed by a very servicial staff. food is well seasoned (has to be mentioned on the upper level) every day somthing new, but a lot of recycling. wine is a decent everyday wine and even the champagne is served by glass at any hour. room service is quality wise good but very slow (count 3/4 of an hour min).
handy men : it took them more than 4 hours to fix the safe; blackout if you touch the wrong swich---and then----------- try to find the break (after a couple of times we found out ourselves) lavabo in the bath was leaking (handyman could not find the solution)
otherwise we can recommend the place (specially kid-friendly)
watch out-----for the last 25 km to las terenas the highway charges you 507 rd$ to and the same on your way back-------------but the view is very nice
enjoy your vacation there---it´s worth it

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank kraal_11
Customer Servic... B, Social media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Firstly we hope you had a good trip back home and we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Tripadvisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our service.

We hope to have you back in the near future at the Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo and I take the opportunity to send a very warm greeting.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Samana

#6 of 60 in Samana Province
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,770 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#3 of 60 in Samana Province

Been to Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo? Share your experiences!