“Family Vacation in Samana - El Portillo”

Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just stayed at El Portillo in mid July for 5 days with my family. It was 7 of us in total and had a really great time. The hotel is very nice and the staff is superb. Everything was as promised and some areas exceeded our expectations like the food, despite it being at the main buffet area - you can get anything you want and it is all good. The staff is really friendly and try to help in every way possible.

Con: The one big downside was the room key and the cards, They did not work well and had to get the re-issued several times. And one night the lock system actually was broken and we waited outside of our room for over 1 hour to get it repaired after walking back to the front desk 4 times to get the key re-issued. This caused us to miss our dinner plans with our family so while it got fixed it did mess our plans somewhat. I heard other while in the front desk having problems with this so obviously it is a problem with the hotel and they need to fix and not inconvenience their guest.

Otherwise, great time, great food, good entertainment and a good value for the money.

Room Tip: Some of the buildings are close to the disco so it could get loud if you are close that that area...
4  Thank Vcast169
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write this nice review about our hotel!

We are really happy that you have enjoy your holiday in El Portillo and at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo.

We are really glad to see that you have enjoyed every minute with us, we work hard to succeed our guest needs.

We apologize for the inconvenient that you had, we are working currently to make it better.

We hope to welcome you again to the Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo and to thank them in person.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Samana

There are newer reviews for Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I am going to buck a trend and write a review whilst still on resort!
This is the first time to resort for my daughter and my self and it is fantastic!
Having been to a few islands myself this is the best beach I have been to and the fish on the coral are amazing whilst the water is shallow and my daughter felt very safe.... And I was relaxed as a parent knowing she was having fun and safe!
The staff really go out of their way to help even when it's busy in the buffet, they are always smiling and trying their best.
Special praise to Elias the omelette chef, he is the king of omelettes and a really nice guy!
A great place and brilliant holiday.....right off to enjoy last few days!
To sum up great value for money, brilliant family resort (even though water park is in a strange location) best kept secret in Dominican Republic!

4  Thank Coxy1066

Dear Guest,

Firstly we hope you had a good trip back home and we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Tripadvisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our service.

We hope to have you back in the near future at the Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo and I take the opportunity to send a very warm greeting.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed 31 July 2014

this was our 4th time coming to this resort and i would come back again next year, it was amazing as always, Carlos Rosario and the rest of the staff at reception were very helpful with everything. Daniel and the animation team were very entertaining, and i cant wait to go back for a 5th time!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side a re quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sabrina P

Dear Sabrina,

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort, especially the services from our front desk department and that you appreciated the professionalism of our staff, we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal- the continuous improvement of our services. We are very proud to have received your excellent comments regarding our employees.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Yours respectfully,

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We booked this hotel primarily because of the great reviews it has. We were expecting the best of the best, but that was very far from what we got.

Let me start with the positive, food was OK, not great but just fine. Service was also OK, but I cant say it was bad either. Premises were always kept clean (except the one time we saw a cockroach in the italian restaurant, needless to say, we stuck to the buffet after that). Scenery was beautiful. Pools and beach were very nice, lots of shade in the beach and always plenty of lounge chairs. Kid's water park was one of my fav things about the resort. Drinks were also good.

OK, now for the fun part, and I am being brief only because it was way too much to write it all down. Biggest negative for me was the unbearable HEAT, everywhere you went, there's no AC in the lobby, no AC in the buffet, no AC in the restrooms (imagine eating a plate of hot pasta and having to go to the restroom in the middle of your meal because your 5 year old has to go number 2 and you have to walk into a fricking sauna, sweating your butt off as you hold your 5 year old so that HER butt doesnt touch the toilet) if you are sensing a bit of anger is because its already been a month since we came back and I still havent gotten over it. The entertainment sucked, you have to walk a mile to get there first of all, and when you do, you sit in plastic chairs outside and watch whatever lame show they are doing that night while being eaten alive by mosquitoes. LIGHTING was horrible, lobby at night was super dark and the rooms are worse, thanksfully we traveled with my in laws and had connecting rooms and they shared one of their floor lamps with us. We only did was tour and it was Los Haitises and Cayo Levantado, to make a long story short, they sold us a CD with all the pictures that they had taken during the tour and when we got here that we put it in the computer it was empty, the catamaran ran out of gas in the middle of the ocean at 1:00pm and we were stranded there for more than one hr waiting for the "rescue", if you've seen the movie Captain Phillips, thats exactly what the boat that came to rescue us looked like, bottom line, horrible.

This place is not tourist ready yet, they are working on it, but just not there yet. You can book a much nicer hotel in Cancun for the same price and you will get a lot more for your money. Needless to say, we will not be going back there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Yailen A
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind opinion about our hotel, we really appreciate it because it helps us to learn about our guest needs and satisfy them

Sorry for the inconveniences that you have experienced; your disappointment is ours to rectify, and to ensure that our guests do not leave with letdown feelings but rather those of satisfaction. As our goals are to fulfill those and meet our guests’ expectations, to turn the negative into the positive with finding solutions to our problems, we wish to welcome you back at our best and effective treatment.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, hoteles todo incluído para sus vacaciones en República Dominicana.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My experience at Bahia Principe el portillo was more than expected. The staff was very kind, great food
, very clean. I was able to relax and enjoy myself. Great place for families or couples. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Antigua S
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice words about your recent stay at Gran Bahía Príncipe El Portillo. We are really glad that you have enjoyed our hotel, food and service.

We hope to welcome you back again next time to make your holiday once again a memorable vacation!!! For any enquiry.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Samana

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I have always been leary in going to an all inclusive versus cruising but this place had definitely kept me interested for the near future. The resort was extremely clean. The rooms were excellent and we really appreciated not having any other resorts nearby. They only had two pools which worried me a bit but it worked out perfectly actually. One was where all the activities were and the other was amidst the villas where we were at. So if you wanted some quiet-near the room lounging, we had it. The restaurants were good. The servers were so attentive. The good proms were a bit small but expected that from the ala cart. We could always count on the buffet to satisfy everything else. The staff at the main dining room were superb. I found myself running out of tip money and had to get more because we were just so pleased everytime. I have been to several cruises and although there was a language difference between my family of 20 and the staff, we always felt like they were trying their very best to make us happy.

The beach was awesome. Calm waters that you can just relax in for hours til the sun went down. The best part was that the raised snack dining area right by the beach which took my breath away. Nothing like dining with the view of the beach just feet away and the warm breeze to add to the wonderful scenery.

Staff: wonderful. From the bar tenders to management, servers and the entertainment team, my family certainly made friends while we were there. The activities were fun. I participated in any contrast that's I could join and although I want very good at most of them, they made me feel like a winner anyway. We learned Spanish from one of the entertainment folks. David was great about it. - he taught me how to say my name in Spanish - Gingembre for Ginger pronounced Hinhembre! The same gentleman for the beach aerobics and beach activities. Nadiuska (hope I spelled her name right) got my 8 year old doing the bachata on our first night and he's been wanting to fame more with me ever since! Thank you! My first server at the Flamboyan bar Anabelle hugged me everytime I saw her! She was so friendly and helpful! - miss you Anabelle! Carlos Rosario was one of the best managers I've come across - very helpful and midday accommodating. I miss the resort and everyone there. Definitely I would recommend! !!!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank gingerm111

Dear Guest,

First let me inform you that your opinion is valuable to us, therefore we are extremely proud and happy for having left a pleasant memory. We are especially appreciating your positive comments about the quality of our service and our staff. Comments like that you send us, are what motivate us as a team every day to improve the quality of service we offer.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I travelled with my family to the Dominican and stayed at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, from July 12, 2014 to July 19, 2014. The premises were beautiful, always kept clean and very well maintained. The food was good. There was always something there to eat for even the most pickiest of eaters. The rooms were always kept clean. We did have a few issues with the room, but was promptly looked after and addressed for which I have to thank and mention Mr. Amilcar, Assistant Manager, he is such an efficient person and an asset to the Bahia Principe. Whatever issue(s) you may encounter, he deals with it in a very professional manner. (My entire family was very impressed with his attention to customers and handling of issues). Keep up the good work Amilcar, you are a true "ASSET" to the Bahia Principe, they should be proud to have such an amazing customer service Assistant Manager at their disposal. Whoever is going to this resort and if you do happen to encounter issue(s), I highly recommend getting in touch with this gentleman. I can assure you, he will personally take it upon himself to make your stay there worry free.

The beach is beautiful. They also have two pools, I cannot comment on the pools as we spent all our time on the beach.

We went on two excursions: the first was a safari through Sunquest, which I was not impressed with. The second was to El Limon Falls, with Pelagio Espino. That was lovely. I personally recommend it. Mr. Pelagio Espino can be emailed at espino@hotmail.com or phone : 1-892-209-0916.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend this resort and would definitely go back.

4  Thank rozferns

Dear Guest,

First let me inform you that your opinion is valuable to us, therefore we are extremely proud and happy for having left a pleasant memory. We are especially appreciate your positive comments about of our facilities and our staff. Comments like that you send us, are what motivate us as a team every day to improve the quality of service we offer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Las Terrenas
Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
#6 of 54 in Samana Province
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 54 in Samana Province
Viva Wyndham V Samana
Viva Wyndham V Samana
#4 of 35 in Las Terrenas

Been to Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo? Share your experiences!