“Fourth time's a charm? Everytime is a charm!”

Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Montreal, Canada
“Fourth time's a charm? Everytime is a charm!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

As you can probably tell from the title of this review, this is the fourth time that I go to Grand Bahia Principe el Portillo and just like that first time, I only have great things to say.

First off, because I have been there 4 times, I have obviously made friends with the employees at El Portillo. Yearly, I advise them the week that I will be there to ensure I get the room (villa) that I always stay in. This time around, my usual Villa was not available due to construction (Carlos Rosario, the hotel manager, advised me of this before arriving to the hotel). I was a little dissapointed knowing that I was not going to be staying in the villa that I liked so much, however, Carlos Rosario definitely made up for it, the room I stayed in was bigger and better than the one I am used to. In the room they welcomed us with a fruit platter along with t-shirts and bottle of rum (which is very nice on their part).

It's so great to return to El Portillo, the employees remember their guests and they welcome you with arms wide open. It really feels like home away from home!

The staff is great. The reception staff, the animation staff, the buffet staff, the bar staff, etc. they are all great. They make sure you feel at home and if you have any problem, they definitely go out of their way to help you. I had some issues with the AC the first night I arrived and within the hour it was fixed and it worked great.

The food is very good. I am a very picky eater, and if I am able to fill up my plate and enjoy my food, anybody can.

All in all this hotel is a great place to stay at. It is more of a family place and not a party place. If you need a week (or 2) of relaxation, Portillo is the place to go. I'd like to give a special thank you to everyone who works at Portillo for making our fourth stay a great one. A very special thank you to: Carols Rosario (Boss), Johnny, Daniel, Angelo, Eli and Marco in animation, Nidia at the bar (our mommy away from home who knew exactly how I like my coffee) and Pedro at reception. See you all next year! :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Sabrina A
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort, especially the services from our front desk department and that you appreciated the professionalism of our staff, we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal- the continuous improvement of our services. We are very proud to have received your excellent comments regarding our employees.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Yours respectfully,

Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (957)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

my favorite hotel i have stayed in and so cheap for what you get! I went here last summer and have just come back from a hotel in egypt. i paid 890 to come to Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo and paid 1100 to go to Baron Resort in Egypt. Grand Bahia was so much better, the beach is AMAZING you cant find a better one, the food is GREAT and the rooms are an excellent size and very comfy! I recommend everyone to go here so amazing and cheap

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank katewalker575
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest,

First let me inform you that your opinion is valuable to us, therefore we are extremely proud and happy for having left a pleasant memory. We are especially appreciate your positive comments about of our facilities and our staff. Comments like that you send us, are what motivate us as a team every day to improve the quality of service we offer.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had a great time at this resort. The staff was friendly, welcoming, and attentive. The beach was amazing, pristine, and not at all crowded (since there are no other resorts around)! The coral is close to the shore and makes for great snorkelling, no need to book an excursion. Food was good, no complaints. Even though we were a large group of 20+ people, the staff was very accommodating when we were making reservations at the a la carte restaurants.

The only negative about this resort is the entertainment/shows available, but other than that it was great.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are located farther from the beach, if you don't mind the (short) walk it's def...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JLOCK04
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time out to communicate the impressions of your vacation with our Tripadvisor community. We are a family hotel and we do everything possible to make feel our guests like part of this great family. In the name of our staff , we would like to thank you for vacationing with us at the Grand Bahía Príncipe El Portillo and we hope see you very soon in our property.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just stayed at El Portillo in mid July for 5 days with my family. It was 7 of us in total and had a really great time. The hotel is very nice and the staff is superb. Everything was as promised and some areas exceeded our expectations like the food, despite it being at the main buffet area - you can get anything you want and it is all good. The staff is really friendly and try to help in every way possible.

Con: The one big downside was the room key and the cards, They did not work well and had to get the re-issued several times. And one night the lock system actually was broken and we waited outside of our room for over 1 hour to get it repaired after walking back to the front desk 4 times to get the key re-issued. This caused us to miss our dinner plans with our family so while it got fixed it did mess our plans somewhat. I heard other while in the front desk having problems with this so obviously it is a problem with the hotel and they need to fix and not inconvenience their guest.

Otherwise, great time, great food, good entertainment and a good value for the money.

Room Tip: Some of the buildings are close to the disco so it could get loud if you are close that that area...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Vcast169
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write this nice review about our hotel!

We are really happy that you have enjoy your holiday in El Portillo and at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo.

We are really glad to see that you have enjoyed every minute with us, we work hard to succeed our guest needs.

We apologize for the inconvenient that you had, we are working currently to make it better.

We hope to welcome you again to the Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo and to thank them in person.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Samana

Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I am going to buck a trend and write a review whilst still on resort!
This is the first time to resort for my daughter and my self and it is fantastic!
Having been to a few islands myself this is the best beach I have been to and the fish on the coral are amazing whilst the water is shallow and my daughter felt very safe.... And I was relaxed as a parent knowing she was having fun and safe!
The staff really go out of their way to help even when it's busy in the buffet, they are always smiling and trying their best.
Special praise to Elias the omelette chef, he is the king of omelettes and a really nice guy!
A great place and brilliant holiday.....right off to enjoy last few days!
To sum up great value for money, brilliant family resort (even though water park is in a strange location) best kept secret in Dominican Republic!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Coxy1066
Dear Guest,

Firstly we hope you had a good trip back home and we are very grateful you have taken the time to express your views in our Tripadvisor community. The reviews help us to improve and raise our service.

We hope to have you back in the near future at the Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo and I take the opportunity to send a very warm greeting.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

this was our 4th time coming to this resort and i would come back again next year, it was amazing as always, Carlos Rosario and the rest of the staff at reception were very helpful with everything. Daniel and the animation team were very entertaining, and i cant wait to go back for a 5th time!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side a re quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Sabrina P
Dear Sabrina,

Yours respectfully,

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We booked this hotel primarily because of the great reviews it has. We were expecting the best of the best, but that was very far from what we got.

Let me start with the positive, food was OK, not great but just fine. Service was also OK, but I cant say it was bad either. Premises were always kept clean (except the one time we saw a cockroach in the italian restaurant, needless to say, we stuck to the buffet after that). Scenery was beautiful. Pools and beach were very nice, lots of shade in the beach and always plenty of lounge chairs. Kid's water park was one of my fav things about the resort. Drinks were also good.

OK, now for the fun part, and I am being brief only because it was way too much to write it all down. Biggest negative for me was the unbearable HEAT, everywhere you went, there's no AC in the lobby, no AC in the buffet, no AC in the restrooms (imagine eating a plate of hot pasta and having to go to the restroom in the middle of your meal because your 5 year old has to go number 2 and you have to walk into a fricking sauna, sweating your butt off as you hold your 5 year old so that HER butt doesnt touch the toilet) if you are sensing a bit of anger is because its already been a month since we came back and I still havent gotten over it. The entertainment sucked, you have to walk a mile to get there first of all, and when you do, you sit in plastic chairs outside and watch whatever lame show they are doing that night while being eaten alive by mosquitoes. LIGHTING was horrible, lobby at night was super dark and the rooms are worse, thanksfully we traveled with my in laws and had connecting rooms and they shared one of their floor lamps with us. We only did was tour and it was Los Haitises and Cayo Levantado, to make a long story short, they sold us a CD with all the pictures that they had taken during the tour and when we got here that we put it in the computer it was empty, the catamaran ran out of gas in the middle of the ocean at 1:00pm and we were stranded there for more than one hr waiting for the "rescue", if you've seen the movie Captain Phillips, thats exactly what the boat that came to rescue us looked like, bottom line, horrible.

This place is not tourist ready yet, they are working on it, but just not there yet. You can book a much nicer hotel in Cancun for the same price and you will get a lot more for your money. Needless to say, we will not be going back there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Yailen A
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind opinion about our hotel, we really appreciate it because it helps us to learn about our guest needs and satisfy them

Sorry for the inconveniences that you have experienced; your disappointment is ours to rectify, and to ensure that our guests do not leave with letdown feelings but rather those of satisfaction. As our goals are to fulfill those and meet our guests’ expectations, to turn the negative into the positive with finding solutions to our problems, we wish to welcome you back at our best and effective treatment.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, hoteles todo incluído para sus vacaciones en República Dominicana.

Best wishes,

Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
#6 of 53 in Samana Province
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 53 in Samana Province
Viva Wyndham V Samana
Viva Wyndham V Samana
#4 of 34 in Las Terrenas

Been to Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo? Share your experiences!