“The BEST week of my life!!!!”

Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Toronto, Canada
“The BEST week of my life!!!!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My family and I decided to take a last minute trip to the Dominican Republic. We ended up going to El Portillo. First of all, I have nothing negative to say!!! This was the best vacation I have ever had!!! The hotel is amazing, the beach is breath taking, and the food is so delicious!!! I couldn't ask for more!!! We also loved the staff and I ended up making so many friends there!!! They work so hard, they are really funny, and they always put a smile on your face!!! A shoutout goes to Natalia, Yissel, Roman, Raul, Francis, and everyone else who I met there!!! Also, the entertainment team is crazy and they make your visit so much better!!! I couldn't stop laughing when they did the water aerobics and the other fun stuff!!! Plus, I think that your dancing skills will improve when you go there!!! If you end up going to this beautiful resort, you will have a great time!!! My family and I are definitely coming back!!! See you soon El Portillo!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Natalia K
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Natalia,

We are very happy to hear that you have found Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo a wonderful hotel for you and your family.

Thank you for your review about the hotel. Your experience is specially valuable for us, as you can give us feed back along the time.

We hope to welcome you again to the Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo and to thank them in person.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for your summer holidays in Samana

Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (946)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This resort has a very welcoming atmosphere as soon as you walk into the main lobby the first time you arrive. Everything people have said about food/service being excellent is very accurate as well as many other aspects such as an immaculate beach for snorkeling/relaxing, spacious rooms and a very clean resort.

Only complaints are that music selection could be reworked for the disco/animacion events since it tends to get repetitve over time and that italian and seafood a la cartes match the amazing quality of the french restaurant.

Many of the staff here work very hard so that people like us can enjoy our time at this resort and it really shows during the vacation. Recommend staying at least 10-14 days if you like to meet people. Would definitely consider coming back.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Snyper0012
Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort, especially the services from our front desk department and that you appreciated the professionalism of our staff, we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal- the continuous improvement of our services. We are very proud to have received your excellent comments regarding our employees.

Yours respectfully

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We went as a family group of 20. The flight into the Samana airport was easy as well as the 40 min. Bus ride to the resort! Props to Pops Dionisio!
The resort is clean and well looked after! The landscapers work hard to make the grounds beautiful! the Grand Bahia welcome was nice and the checkin went smoothly! Honourable mention to Carlos Rosario for helping us out with our temperamental safe & for looking after my nephew who was stung by a spiny fish at the beach!

The beach had nice soft sand and the water ever so calm! The coral reefs are near the shore so one could walk up to the coral and stand to look at all the colourful fish! Be sure to bring your own snorkel gear and some cheap inflatable pool floaters.

The rooms were clean and comfy! The ladies work hard to keep them spotless!

The food at the buffet had great variety especially enjoyed the tropical fruit! It's mango season! The Ala carte restaurants were good too! It was nice they were able to accommodate the 20 of us at each Ala carte restaurant! El pescador was our favourite!

We chose to do 2 excursions...Herman through Sunquest was a big help! ATV & Walk the Plank Ziplining (was our fave)! Others in our group did El Limon Falls w/ horseback riding.

Lastly I would like to mention the animation team were great with aerobics on the beach (w/ Mr. OMG-eliadel & Marcos) to Spanish lessons & salsa on the beach w/ David & not sure what his partner's name was! Nightly entertainment was ok. Our rooms were near the quiet pool so Edison & Rudy kept the drinks coming as well as in the sports bar! Anabel was our bubbly little hostess with the mostest in the lobby & sports bar/pool! Mamajuana shots were surely not to be missed!
We would come back for sure!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank lisa m
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Guest,

First let me inform you that your opinion is valuable to us, therefore we are extremely proud and happy for having left a pleasant memory. We are especially appreciating your positive comments about of our facilities and our beautiful beach. Comments like that you send us, are what motivate us as a team every day to improve the quality of service we offer.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

We hope to welcome you again to the Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo .

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was my first time in the Dominican Republic and my first time at a resort as an adult. I must say, this has been the highlight of my summer. The rooms were spacious and clean, super clean (I'm not a nit picker but I am very meticulous and I didn't see anything in this room, not even debris in the corners!!!). The thing that made this trip so memorable was the staff. I am in the hospitality industry as well and the staff here went way above and beyond to make guests feel welcome. Ronald and Carlos at check-in and check out were awesome. Alfonso in the restaurant was a gem. Estefania, David, and Rudy were some of the entertainment people and they were super sweet as well. One night we went to a circus and although it was small it was very entertaining. I got sick from the food like many other people that wrote reviews but that is definitely not the hotels fault!! I also got bit by something, which was not the hotels fault either (sand fleas)! I read some of the other reviews and I don't think it's fair that the hotel was being rated on a naturally occurring thing, clearly when people come here they know this is the Caribbean and the insects here will be a bit different than in the US or wherever they come from. Also, the fact that people are complaining about the language, well I'm sorry but not everyone in the world can speak English and if there is going to be an issue with that, maybe they should go on vacation to an English speaking place. All in all I had a terrific time and I am planning on going back with my family in the near future!!! I definitely recommend going here!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rebekah C
Dear Guest,

We are greatly appreciating your comments. Our goal it is achieve maximum satisfaction of our guests. We hope to welcome you again to the Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo and to thank them in person.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for your summer holidays in Samana

Greetings from El Portillo.

Terrebonne, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014

First off ... nothing negative to say ... except for the lack of good venues for menu dinning. Also kids are great love them .... but in a fine restaurant ... dont need them ...

The motivators or anitaion team are great, restaurant staff amaizing, bar staff awesome... food at buffet great ... restaurants ... need fixen ...

Disco .. needs overhaul and a good DJ ... music sucks, i feel that i was back in the 70`s and latino music not even up to date .... and DJ needs to get the crowd into it ...

Room Tip: need roome far from employee resting area and discco
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Andrew R
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guests,

We are very happy to hear that you have found Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo a wonderful hotel and that the assigned rooms were suitable for you and your family.

Thank you for your review about the hotel. Your experience is especially valuable for us, as you can give us feedback along the time. We work every day to satisfy our guest needs.

We hope to welcome you again the next year to the Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo and to thank them in person.

Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My daughter and i stayed at this resort for 2 weeks in July and i felt i had to write a review as this was the best hotel of all the ones we have been to in the caribbean. The resort was spotless, the rooms spacious, and the overall ambiance was just beautiful. The beach was amazing a total paradise and no problems either here or at the pool getting sun loungers- there is also lots of shade provided for those needing it. Another benefit was we never saw a mosquito or bug throughout our stay.
The variety of food and drinks on offer was first class and there was always something for even the pickiest of diners. We had an exceptional holiday with not one thing we would change( but the 3.5 hour coach trip from/ to the airport for those traveling with Thomson is a bit of a drag after the long flight)
I truly believe the reason this resort is so outstanding for us was the way it is managed by the staff who were all so hard working, friendly and helpful from the minute we arrived to the day we left- in particular i commend the attentiveness of the exceptional managers Carlos Rosario and Amilcar who really lead by example, are so helpful, thoughtful and hardworking - both are very special assets in the Bahia Principle management chain. Also Ronald (frontdesk), the entertainment team and Antonio (poolbar) who do a wonderful job at making you feel special. We are having withdrawal symptoms as it was so amazing and are already planning our return to this hotel hopefully for christmas but we are DEFINITELY RETURNING and can't wait.

Room Tip: got room close all amenities as i had requested -14103 which was on the ground floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank nuala755
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice words about your recent stay at Gran Bahía Príncipe El Portillo. We are really glad that you have enjoyed our hotel, food and service.

We hope to welcome you back again next time to make your holiday once again a memorable vacation!!! For any enquiry.

Kindest regards,

toronto
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Me and my wife travelled July 21-28th to GBP El Portillo. Check in was very fast. We went Royal Golden and were given a room in building 5. Rooms were very spacious and clean. There was quite a bit of construction going on at the resort, but it didn't affect our vacation. Grounds are kept very beautiful and clean. There is always workers cleaning the grounds. The beach at this resort is the most amazing beach I have ever seen. The water is warm with very minimal waves, which is great for snorkeling. We walked down both sides of the beach and were amazed at how secluded this area is. We ate at the Italian and Gourmet a la cartes. Italian we thought was just ok. The Gourmet was excellent. We suggest you try the steak. To be honest, we can understand why people were content just eating at the buffet every day. They had theme nights and the food was great. We had also informed the resort before arrival that we were celebrating our 10 year anniversary. They put Bahia Principe t-shirts in our room and booked us a special a la carte dinner on our anniversary night. When we arrived for dinner, they had put flower petals on our table and came out to sing to us when they brought our dessert. Very nice. The shows in the evening were not great but entertaining. We did really enjoy the circus show our last night. I would recommend this resort to anyone. We did find that it did get breezy in the afternoon at the beach, so we split our time between the beach and pool. If I had to complain about anything, I guess it would be that the main pool was too small for the number of guests. The animation team at this resort did a great job. This were very active but not pushy. Our favourite for sure was Toby. What a great guy. If you see him, tell him Mr. Canada says hi. He sat with us many times during our week and would socialize. He even brought in his guitar to play us some songs on the beach. A moment we will never forget. Hopefully we will make it back again to say Hola to the great people at Bahia Principe El Portillo

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bill73met
Customer Servic... B, Social Media Coordinator at Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest,

First let me inform you that your opinion is valuable to us, therefore we are extremely proud and happy for having left a pleasant memory. We are especially appreciating your positive comments about the quality of our service and our staff. Comments like that you send us, are what motivate us as a team every day to improve the quality of service we offer.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Grand Bahia Principe Cayacoa
#6 of 54 in Samana Province
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#1 of 54 in Samana Province
Viva Wyndham V Samana
Viva Wyndham V Samana
#4 of 34 in Las Terrenas

Been to Grand Bahia Principe El Portillo? Share your experiences!