“The Truth”

Xeliter Balcones del Atlantico
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Las Terrenas
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We booked 10 "beachside" villas because their website at the time portrayed the property to be a charming boutique resort with 35 rental units (the website has since updated that information along with the misleading photo of what appeared to be a beach villa but is really their restaurant). So you can imagine our shock when we drove up to this monstrosity of a complex with hundreds of condos! And you guessed it, they are not on the beach. The first night, 3 "villas" were without AC, one didn't have electricity, one didn't have hot water. Now having said all of this, the condos are huge and lovely, all ailments were repaired the same day, the beach is spectacular, the restaurant isn't bad (although it was closed to the public one night for a private party so all 20 of us had to taxi into town), the 2 pools are big and very nice, the spa is expensive but worth the splurge and everyone had a great time. November is off season so we had the place pretty much to ourselves. It would have been a different experience if all units had been full.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank MichiganTess

Reviewed 23 October 2013

NO AIR CONDITIONER / NO ICE / BAD SERVICE / BAD CATV SYSTEM / the security when to my aptt noise, with a gum , no restaurant open at 8pm , no glass water at the apt , no towers , is terrible servicesss

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank SANTIAGO F
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I rented the 3 bedroom penthouse from Sep 24-28, 2013. Upon arrival we checked in and followed a golf cart to the building. No assistance with luggage was offered. My wife and I, my friend and his wife carried everything into the building. So that's the first thing that stands out.

The unit itself (121) has central air that works. The rooms are great. Balconies and furniture are incredible. However, the front door will NOT lock, leaving us vulnerable at night and anytime we are not here. The internet promised does not work. I'm writing this of my cell phone's wireless on my roaming money. The hot water works off and on. My guess is when the local power dies their backup generator kicks in but does not have enough juice to power the hot water heaters. I have a house in Puerto Plata and fully understand how that goes. When I call them they say "we are sending someone out to take a look." Guess what, that didn't happen.

When asked about the internet I am told "well it should work." There is no great leaps to get that working. I'm guessing the bill has not been paid. Just a guess of course. When asked about fixing the front door I am offered another unit, and told that they cannot fix the electronic lock on the door at this time. The villa I am shown is nice, but looks as though it has not been used, cleaned, or even opened in months. It smells that way as well. DO NOT RENT THE VILLA even if you ignore this message. You DO NOT want to pay what they are asking. It is small and the "pool" is literally 4 X 6 feet.

So we take a stroll of the property. The landscapers should win an award here. They do know how to keep the grounds clean. However, upon entering the pool area we all notice that the beautiful pool needs a little love. The water is clean, but the tiles are falling off in places and no one is fixing them. Again, probably a lack of management or money.

Off season notes. Do NOT purchase the breakfast package. They do not serve breakfast during off-season. Also, their one restaurant, which is great, is closed during the week. It's only open weekends during this time of year. So be prepared to drive into town. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CAR, OR ARE UNWILLING TO RENT ONE.

The pros: Unit is very clean and A/C works great. The unit is huge. They say its a 3-bedroom. It actually has a bonus on the top floor. This unit can accommodate at least 8 comfortably.

The cons: This is NOT a resort. Do not mistake it for one. It's a condo rental with near ZERO service. Views of the ocean are NOT what you see on their website. This is a con-job that needs to be cleaned up. Car required. No food on site. No store on site. No bartender on site (off season).

My suggestion: Use your hard earned money at a different location. DO NOT BE FOOLED by the great website.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else or live with your decision.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank LP148
Maxaida M, General Manager at Xeliter Balcones del Atlantico, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We sincerely appreciate having you as a guest in our property, and would like to thank you for providing detailed feedback regarding your recent stay. In our efforts to continually improve operations and exceed guest expectations, your comments will help us provide great experiences for future guests.

Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered in our property, I feel very sorry to read your comments. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again, we hope you give us the chance fo giving to experience Balcones in a near future, if so, please do not hesitate in contacting myself to arrange everything.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I was sorely disappointed with Balcones del Atlantico.

The website, the photos, and the reviews really paint a different picture than the experience we had. I still can't figure out why the glowing reviews here.

Guests are greeting by name by the security guard when arriving at the entrance, and it is quite a nice gesture. However, the property itself is large and impersonal. So large that once when I got lost walking around, I asked a staff member where the pool with the giant fish fountain was and he didn't know there were 3 pools! He pointed me in the wrong direction. That said, the gardens are lovely.

Check in involved an unpleasant surprise with additional fees to cover the change in currency. No maps, nor area activities described. No information in the apartment, either.

The gym (once I found it on my own... security didn't know) is located near the front desk. It is tiny, stuffy and hot. I couldn't even use it, though the equipment was in good shape.

Our apartment was nicely appointed and pretty big. However, I was really disappointed with the rooftop terrace and the view from the balcony. I guess this is where it gets its name... it really is a view of other people's balconies! The website show pictures of a view of the beach or ocean, but this is not the case! Also, the closets were stuffed full of other people's things...I hadn't realized this was a condo rental... they pitch it as a hotel.

Finally, the beach was hugely disappointing. It is across the road, and runs along the road, so you hear traffic. The beach restaurant takes up a lot of the space... great for dining, not so great for beach bumming.

To sum it up, I guess if you had planned lots of activities, have a car and expect to spend very little time at the hotel, this place is a good fit. However, if you are looking to settle yourself down to island time and enjoy part of your holiday relaxing from the terrace or the beach, staring off into nature, this is not for you.

Finally, beware the no cancellation policy!

Room Tip: Ask management what to expect, and have it in writing.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank moremanoi

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing Balcones del Atlántico and thank you for taking the time to wirte this review, your opinion is important for us, be assured, we take your review very seriously and will use this as a tool to retrain our team players and improve areas of deficiency.

It is an important part of our strategy to continuously improve the facilities and services we provide our guests. We hope you will reconsider the decision of return and give us an opportunity to provide you with an experience of a lifetime.

Once again, thank you for visiting Balcones del Atlantico and for your useful feedback. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again in a near future.

Best regards!

Balcones del Atlantico

Reviewed 1 September 2013

The unit we were provided was really sub standard. No curtains in the bedroom but a cheap broken plastic blind, the instruction sheet on the lamp from Ikea was still on the lampshades, no light fixtures on ceiling. In plain sight, instead of a dishwasher, was a dirty bucket ( probably what they use to clean the floor). There were still wrappings ( dirty and tired) on the handles of the cup board. There were old open bags of snacks in the cup boards making us wonder when was the last time the cleaning lady was there. There was some coffee packages but no creamer. There was no drinkable water ( well there was a 5 Gallon dirty bottle with a pump and few centimeters of water in it but we abstain). We were saved by one of the night time security guard that brought us few small bottles. There was no phone to communicate with theFront Desk and no internet ( we could not find any modem) . On top of it, the reception of local cell phone was very bad. Upon check in we were told that we were "upgraded" - wow - what is the Run of the House then? Upon check out, I express my disappointment and the Front desk Manager handled it professionally. I later send an email with pictures to the property Manager ( actually 2 emails). After one week with no answer, it is time to warn other travellers.

Room Tip: Make sure the unit you are getting is one that has been inspected by the management prior to your ch...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MarieJoseeB2011

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing Balcones del Atlántico for taking the time to provide detailed feedback of your recent stay at Balcones. Our guest comments are an important part of our strategy to continuously improve the facilities and services we provide our guests. Your candid feedback helps us to achieve that objective and we sincerely appreciate your time.

We strive to ensure all stays exceed expectations. Be assured, we take your review very seriously and will use this as a tool to retrain our team players and improve areas of deficiency.
We hope you will reconsider the decision of return and give us an opportunity to provide you with an experience of a lifetime. Should you decide to visit us in the future, please feel free to contact me directly to assist with making the necessary arrangements.

Once again, thank you for visiting Balcones del Atlantico and for your useful feedback. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We just returned from a great vacation at Balcones. My cousin got married there on Saturday. The wedding was unbelievably gorgeous. No detail was overlooked. Our stay at the hotel was very nice. The apartments are huge and have wonderful amenities. The grounds and pool and short walk to the beach were also great. The beach itself is stunning and almost private. We checked out another hotel nearby and were overwhelmed by how many people were there. I was so glad we weren't staying there. The staff, especially the waiters were amazing. So sweet. They worked so hard! The front desk even called an artist who had exhibited paintings there earlier in the week so he could bring me the painting I liked before I left.

The food was also very good. The included breakfast was amazing. It included scarmbled eggs, sausage, mashed plantains, fruit, etc. A really generous offering.

My only complaint is that they were a bit stingy with toilet paper and towels. There also were no towels available at or near the pool and, given how few we had in the apartment, we were very short. Other than that, everything was perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Melisita

We appreciate your feedback and I thank you for the details you highlighted as it is important for us to know what our guest appreciate.

We will be delighted to welcome you and make your next stay a perfect one!

I send you my kindest regards along with my appreciation, once again, for taking the time to provide detailed feedback of our property.

My best regards!

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Beautiful grounds, beautiful beach, immaculate accommodations. However, my review is heavily influenced by the professional and discrete service from Ramon (head of security) and Darling (manager) when I experienced a 'stranger-in-a-strange-land' incident in the Dominican. Basically, they helped defuse a potential disastrous situation that appeared out of nowhere. Ramon's experience as a former police officer and Darling's tactful insight helped rescue my visit. I know this is a strange review, but I would never stay anywhere else in Samaná.

Room Tip: If you can get a penthouse, it really adds to the ambiance.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Balcones del Atlántico. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. We continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

My best regards!

#1 of 1 in Punta Balandra
La Dolce Vita Residence
La Dolce Vita Residence
#14 of 35 in Las Terrenas

Been to Xeliter Balcones del Atlantico? Share your experiences!