“A place to relax”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lake Bennett
Caloundra, Australia
“A place to relax”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

On our arrival we found us to be the only couple at the resort so our dinner was served to us in our room. This suited us after being on the road most of the day. We did not receive any house cleaning for our 2 night stay and got provided with extra towels etc. Would have thought that would have factored into getting a reduced rate for our room but did not get that lucky. Lake Bennett Resort provided us with the tranquility we required after a hectic few days of travels and tours. Our room overlooked the lake and the sunset and sunrises were breathtaking. We had our best night sleep here and enjoyed waking to the call of the birds in the morning. Breakfast was basic but our meals at dinner time were just fantastic. We would have loved to stay a few extra days but unfortunately had to leave. Downside to its location would be the mosquitoes, but then you can't always have everything just right. There does seem to be a problem with a shortage of employees and someone with the knowledge of how to use the coffee machine, but it certainly did not spoil our stay.

Room Tip: Book a lake view room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at Lake Bennett Wilderness Resort on the 31/05/14 for 1 night. We found the location and service very good. Having drinks out on the terrace at sunset was amazing followed by dinner in the restaurant which was superb. Upon checking-in the receptionist told my wife about sunset on the terrace and we weren't disappointed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lapu Lapu, Philippines
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Lake Bennett resort is a great place to stay and visit, but there are problems here that need to be addressed !

The Chef changes almost every month, and therefore the menu is not always available in its entirety. There seems to be a problem with food, despite the fact that they are only 100 KM from Darwin ( running out of this and that ).

However I did enjoy the meals when Giles ( the Chef ) was there and I know that he did his best with what stores he had available at the time.

Lake Bennett is a beautiful location, its man made, which is an indicator of the brilliant thinking of the designers at the time. Its Accommodation ranges from up market Motel type Cabins which are well equipped and well laid out. Everything works, and the Air Con is icy cold which is also great.

There are Donga's and in the past there was a caravan park, which seems to have morphed into a Golf Course, which is sadly not used enough ( it was looking rather sad when i was last there )

However if you are coming for the day, it will be a great place to be, safe swimming ( no Crocs ) and Canoes for hire, the drive is not so far from darwin.

As an aside, there are a number of Lake side properties which are available for short term hire, either for the weekend or for the week, so if Lake Bennett does not suit you then you have other options !

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ashley K
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Where to begin...I made this booking for an overnight stay - family of 2 adults, 3 kids under 7.

Booked a room with 2 queen beds on the Lake. Sounds lovely, and felt welcome when making booking over the telephone.

Different story when we arrived.. the same lady who took my booking was not very welcoming when we checked in. Felt as if we had disturbed her... a bit disappointing since I was quite excited about this mini stay away - it was my birthday.

Apparently my husband had called a day or so prior to us arriving and asked if a dessert could be brought out with my name on it and a candle - to surprise me. He was told that if he didn't bring his own candle 'it wouldn't happen'.

After checking in we found a door which we thought would be for an interconnecting room - so thought - why not see if it's available and pay the extra $220. My husband walked down to reception to organise, only to come back saying the very same lady at the front desk was 'stroppy/grumpy', but got the key. You'd think she would be happy that we are spending more money..?

We did find the cleaning staff, really upbeat and polite, but that's where any good service from this place started and stopped.

We booked dinner upon check-in - for our family of 5. Again a little battle on our hands doing this as we were encouraged to dine at 6.30pm, where we wanted to go at 7pm. Only 1 waitress who ran in and ran back out of the dining room ignoring any calls from ourselves and other diners trying to get her attention. Service was difficult to get as the one and only staff member was not around. She came in to the dining room, dropped off some meals and ran back out without taking 2 seconds to look around and see if other diners needed her attention.

Apart from a quite a big bug in my meal which had been well cooked, a very dry Lamb Shank which may have been cooked for a previous meal time. My husband did not bring his candle so did not expect any surprise cake for me.

At his disgust of the poor service, he decided to leave the restaurant with the children as I found myself waiting outside the kitchen door a number of times to ask the waitress for various things.

So much more that I've not included - issues with food - which was later deducted from my bill as well as other bits.

I did get a chance to talk to the waitress when we left. She appeared quite flustered - understaffed perhaps, although I have waitressed in busier restaurants and that was not a busy night at the Lakes.

After we returned to our room - we jumped up to a banging at the door. I thought it was the wait staff coming to 'have words' with us. But management kindly sent me a slice of cake with chocolate writing around the plate and what do you know> They put in their own 'candle' - or should I say sparkler. That was a nice surprise, but after they left would you believe they hadn't even brought any cutlery - so we found 1 tsp (only 1 supplied out of 2 rooms paid for with the coffee facilities).

There was so much wrong with this dinner service. There was so much wrong with all the service.

This place is completely overpriced for what it is.

The only positives were:

- View is great!

- Cleaning staff were happy and polite.

- Canoeing was wonderful...........although the life jackets need a good old clean.
The one I was wearing had a stench of old perspiration - or should just say 'sweat'. It truly was unbearable.

There is huge potential with this place. What a major disappointment to what was to be my 'awesome birthday night away - with my family'.

Terribly disappointed. Not returning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank UbiqueDiner

Travellers are raving about these Lake Bennett hotels

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Overnight stay in a "Resort Suite". The room was nothing like a Resort Suite. Three people booked in and only two coffee Mugs. Bedspreads where faded and the queen bed badly needed a new mattress because the springs scrunched even when we sat of the bed. The lake is beautiful and but that is about all. When checking out and I told the person in the reception, I was told I should have come up and got another mug. Sorry when the booking was made for three people two months ago, you expect things to be right, we will not be back and will advise our friends.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and don't go there!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jenny C
Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

The service was similar to that received in many Darwin establishments, ie they act as if they are doing you a favour by allowing you to stay there! There was no hello or welcome. The room was so overpriced - even by Darwin standards - $230 for a drab and dingy room with a spa on the verandah. The spa had seen better days, there was no hot water, just a hose pipe to fill it and no bubble bath. The lake, however, is absolutely stunning and that alone made it worth the overnight stay. The restaurant was OK. An exceptionally friendly waitress who appeared to be working on her own, nonetheless, she at least was welcoming and tried to provide a good service. The food was acceptable but, again, overpriced, eg nearly $30 for fish and a few chips. This place could be a wonderful break for tourists and locals alike. They need to improve their service.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gilli68
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Had a fantastic stay at lake Bennett we stayed in a spa room with a gorgeous view of the lake. The room was spacious and comfortable. The restaurant served delicious food. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. We stayed here for valentines day and much enjoyed our selves

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Litchfield National Park
Batchelor Butterfly Farm
Batchelor Butterfly Farm
#2 of 3 in Batchelor

Been to Lake Bennett Resort? Share your experiences!