“Great Trip”

Foxglove Inn and Gardens
Ranked #3 of 4 Crofton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My friend and I visted in mid October. We were on a special package which included breakfast, dinner and one lunch. Mark is a wonderful Chef and a very good teacher. I thoroughly enjoyed the time we spent together. Nancy the co-owner took us on a tour and made certain we had a great time. Finally, I enjoyed meeting the other guests and the rousing game of 5 Crowns. I'd go again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Foxglove Inn and Gardens

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I visited the Inn In September as a single. I stayed in The Loft, and the room was so pleasant, and quiet and clean. It is decorated in a most appealing way.The Lodge was also very quiet with ample space with wonderfully quiet and comfortable places to sit and read, or daydream looking out at the grounds. Go for your dinner and you will find a very talkative and informative Chef, Mark Hillson; who makes you feel comfortable instantly by introducing himself and allowing the other guests to get to know one another in such a way that by the time the meal "experience" is over, you have made new friends.The meal was delicious and the company I was with was amazing. I would highly recommend this B&B, for single travel, or couples as it's just so lovely.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I usually don't write reviews about our business meeting retreat locations. But in this case I had to. I had never been here before and thought I would give it a try. What a wonderful place. Beautiful gardens, great food, and very relaxing. We actually got some work done.

Thank you Mark. The meals you prepared for my team are still being talked about today. We wish we could have stayed longer so you teach us how to prepare such great food. My wife wants to come back soon to pick up on some of your techniques. She had a great time as did the other spouses. I have already told my assistant to set up the New Years retreat with you.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank David O
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The Foxglove Inn promised and did not deliver the following:

Our first sight of the Foxglove Inn was not recognizable from the internet photos.

My friend actually hooked up the wireless network upon arrival and opted for another room so we could have larger + ensuite rooms. The receptionist/secretary Hazel was a lovely person.

Wine reception - Nancy the owner, gave us a bottle of wine each, sent us to the living room, presented us with a plate with a few crackers and 7 Laughing Cow triangles of cheese, and left us alone. (We were told later that evening that those staying in higher end accommodation were not invited to the Wine Reception or breakfasts in the main house. Difficult for interacting with other guests.)

Experience with Chef - owner returned to say we could go to dinner at 6:15 - we did not pick vegetables and herbs with the chef beforehand and when we arrived for dinner we did find 4 other people waiting at table, where Chef explained what we were having for dinner -
No Cooking Class - which was Leak and Potato soup (delicious), roast beef (overdone), Yorkshire pudding (delicious) carrots, corn, turnip, Duchess potatoes (dry and tasteless) and pound cake (dry) with a little carmel sauce on top and water to drink. It was a very heavy meal. Did have laughs during the meal, especially when Chef said the main house was a converted nursing home (where we were staying).

Next morning we had a flooding toilet followed by a very heavy, unhealthy tasteless breakfast (weak tea and coffee - yoghurt strawberry shake, fried onions apple sweet sauce, pieces cut up warm bran muffin, hash, scrambled eggs with orange cheese bits, sausages.

More Plumbing problems - one running toilet before we left the premises.

Decided not to stay another night due to heavy/unhealthy food (main reason for booking was Cooking School and delicious food - the reason we made the ferry trip to the Island from Vancouver - dodgy plumbing.

I could go on but I think you get the picture.

I would not recommend this Inn unless they decide to upgrade main premises + plumbing, retain a gourmet Chef and be truthful about everything they offer.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
11  Thank Bellacini
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We knew about this place via SocialShopper. It promised - Continental Breakfast, Cooking Class and 3 Course meal. The pictures were SO beautiful. But, I can only say it's just pictures, fluffy words and NOTHING was right about this place. Ruined our Thanksgiving weekend. Ps. We left a day earlier because we never wanted to go home from a getaway so badly.

1) Pets were allowed. I told the owner that our dogs were coming. Our dog who sat in the car for so long (4 hours) finally got out and could run because it was just so claustrophobic for our dog. Our dog was really happy running around. However, the innkeeper came out and alleged our dog charged at her, was aggressive and asked us to "LEAVE NOW, THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE"... (We have a golden retriever and a small little maltese). The maltese was barking at her because she was shouting at us, and she told him to shut up and said she can easily step on him if he is aggressive but for our big dog "she can't control this" and it will ruin her business and wants us to leave. It was a whole 5 minutes debate before she just stomped off. I mean, really?? Could she even tell us in a nicer tone or something. 0 customer service. So we wanted to leave, but of course grant us back our refund so that we have nothing to do with this place again. She did not want to do that and said sorry the $ is hers and we are left with nothing. No where to stay and no ferry back. Then her worker brought out a piece of paper, and told us to write a waiver and took down our credit card details. That's fine, because it's our dog so we will take the responsibility.

2) Our "Cooking Class" and 3 course meal was the 1st night of the stay. We went there about 630, with NO mood for wine, and just upset about the fact that we felt so unwelcomed and chased away by the innkeeper because of our "aggressive" dogs. So we went for this "cooking class", which was just some talk about what the chef is going to make for the day. FYI - the Chef did NOT wear any gloves. I've not seen that in a while. 0 cleanliness there. So there was no cooking class. Just talking about how this place came to be from an old folks home to a B&B. The dinner (priced to be $40 or something) was something else. We had some prosciutto melon salad, that's alright. The main course had really cheap ingredients in it. Some grilled veggies, pasta. Dessert was "bacon chocolate cake", and some cheap costco ice cream with it. $40 bucks - sorry, but I won't pay for it if it's $40. Thankfully it's included in that voucher for us.

3) The next morning - our "continental" breakfast was another joke. Instructions on the door said our breakfast would be brought to the kitchen and then we will have to cook it ourselves. We would never have guessed what was brought to us (it was brought the day before so we thought it was a snack), but it was 6 Walmart $3 muffins, a sad looking loaf of banana bread, and 3 bananas and 4 apples. This was to be shared among 6 of us. The rest of us did not expect to have this as a breakfast. We went to the main lodge and saw the owner cooking bacon and a full breakfast for the others. We asked her why is it so and then she said that we were supposed to cook our breakfast ourselves.. Well, lady, there's nothing to cook if we have Walmart Buns. What a joke!
Later on, we talked to her worker who said it was meant to be like that - something like if you get a nicer room (the Gables) you get a lousier breakfast. Do people work this way!??!!

3) So we checked out first thing in the morning because we just want to go home. Rid ourselves of this horrible dungeon. We did....so happy until 4 hours later we got a call saying we stuffed toilet paper in the toilet bowl, and we did it on purpose and stuffed our dog poo inside and we clogged up their toilet. We did no such thing! We bring our dogs out, and throw the poo in a poo bag which we collected bag of and did NOT throw it in her house even. Then she said she will call the plumber and it will be deducted off my card (the number i gave her earlier). I was appalled at this accusation and drove back another hour or so just to solve this problem. I didnt want a "Thanksgiving" bill shock on my card. She accused us that we did it on purpose. Oh come on, what bad accusations and how horrible we felt at that. My husband tried to go back to fix it but they would not let him into the home and then, later on they said it was fixed. Then when we were close to the ferry she called again and said her friend fixed it and will check it again to see if it's what we did on purpose, and if they were wrong of us they were sorry, and if they were right, we would have to think again.

Phew. I could not be more glad to leave that place early, in the comfort of my home typing this review. Long story cut short, save your money, spend it at a better place where you will enjoy your nice long weekend. :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Rahelle
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for a weekend in the attic of the Gables. The room was very nicely appointed with a cozy fireplace and a small TV in the corner. It had a shower so small that a man with any size to him would have trouble turning around in. There were no kleenex,small samples of soaps or shampoos which is a must when you are running a bed and breakfast and will always be expected.The Gables itself is newer and the house downstairs was nicely appointed. As for the grounds, they were neglected, really needed some spiffing up. The main lodge used to be a nursing home and I am sorry still looks and feels like a nursing home so would not even consider staying there. Your stay comes with a meal served in the chefs barn on the property. They will tell you to meet the chef there at 5:30 to ? help with the meal??? Well you arrive into a barn which also needs some updating inside and out. The tables are set nicely with wine glasses but they have failed to tell you that if you want any wine, bring your own!! Fine if they would have mentioned. You proceed to sit there and chat with others doing nothing,chef making dinner. Poor guy had planned pizza that night and only had one oven and no propane. there were 19 of us so-Yes we were finally eating at 8:30-3 hrs later and only served water until then. Very disappointing-again details that the owners of this establishment failed to correct. To top that off at breakfast the next morning, one of the other couples that were promised a room NOT at the Lodge (their package said as much) were unhappy staying at the main lodge and the Gables and Loft taken, so had to find a different venue to stay in. Was a very special 25th Anniversary trip for them so dissapointing. Their was a very loud disagreement that we all heard between owners and the couple reguarding a refund that we were all exposed to. Owner should have just given them a refund to avoid the scene. Again details of not so good innkeepers so beware. Don't think I would return !

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lindaBellinghamWa
Reviewed 9 October 2013

THis is not a bad place it just doesn't deliver what it promised. It promised a romantic Loft with kitchen and sitting area, with a beautiful balcony view of the ocean. It delivered a very small room with no view in a nice Inn, and with the walls so thin that you can hear private conversations. It promised a dining and cooking experience but didn't deliver that either. There is a dining hall and a very nice Chef, we got Tomato soup and Pizza, okay but nothing at all special and no cooking class or shopping with the Chef excursion that they advertise. If they would advertise what then people could choose that and they would be fine, but when I told the owners this is not what I bought (and I had e-mailed them to make sure that this romantic experience is what I would get) they got very very nasty very fast and actually kicked us out and threatened to call the police, it was very strange. They do have The Gables and The Loft which is the pictures that is on their website and some people did actually get to stay there (we had booked the Loft but for some reason they put us in this small room instead). I was in The Gables and it is lovely. The adventure of meeting new people is a lovely idea but they just have to be honest with you what you will get. Speaking of being honest they are on the bay and there is some lovely views but you are right across from the big pulp mill which is lite 24/7. It didn't smell when we were there but I have been told it can smell. They do have a lovely property but they have no walking paths on the property so at night after dinner there is no where to go. I don't know how to rate this because I was extremely disappointed because it did not deliver what it had advertised and the owners went so ballistic and were not honest at all, however, it is clean and could be a very pleasant place and if you get THE GABLES with some friends could be a blast as long as you know what you are getting.

Room Tip: Choose THe Gables maybe the Loft which we were supposed to be in but I haven't seen. I didn'...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank LynneKM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crofton
Best Western Plus Chemainus Inn
Crofton by the Sea Bed & Breakfast
Hummers Haven Bed and Breakfast
Eagle Rock Bed and Breakfast Chemainus
Hawley Place Bed and Breakfast
Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay

Been to Foxglove Inn and Gardens? Share your experiences!