“Quiet, central, but it pays to check for special deals”

Kununurra Country Club Resort
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Kununurra
Canberra
“Quiet, central, but it pays to check for special deals”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Advantages: very little noise from neighbouring rooms - not even when they had their airconditioners running - or from the bar and restaurant. Surrounded by pleasant gardens filled with palm trees. Centrally located but in spacious grounds. Clean rooms and comfortable, firm mattresses. Helpful staff. The food in the restaurant is about as good as it gets it Kununurra.

Disadvantages. The price difference between booking online (eg through Wotif) and booking directly with the hotel was about $80 per night more expensive if you booked directly with the hotel. Check online for deals that gives you late checkout, free airport transfer etc.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QuietlyRetired
Fiona K, Manager at Kununurra Country Club Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. On occasion we do have exclusively online specials available - sometimes we are able to offer them to guests booking directly. It never hurts to ask us if we can match an online price.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
NT
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

The restaurant is not the best looking but the food and wine list make it up for. The menu is well presented and you found something for everyone. As the food arrived, we looked forward to try it, because the presentation was very well and so the taste. It looked good and tasted great. Very enjoyed the night out

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Stevengree
Fiona K, Manager at Kununurra Country Club Resort, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Very happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal - thank you for letting us know! We are looking forward to refreshing the appearance of the restaurant - it is part of a whole of property review by the new owners and managers.
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Location: Nice and central in Kununurra, so very useful as a base for exploring the area.

Accommodation: My room was quite nice, if a bit gloomy. The bathroom looked a bit old, but was clean and well maintained.

Reception: Excellent - the staff were friendly, helpful, and well informed.

Catering: I liked the breakfast buffet, but my only experience of dinner at the restaurant was very disappointing. While the food was OK, different members of staff told me different things about what was and was not possible. Worse, I was completely ignored after I had got my main course, which meant that any idea of dessert or coffee was a non-starter. I appreciate that the staff had other customers to serve, but such an attitude is just not good enough. It ensured that I dined elsewhere the other nights of my stay.

Amenities: There is a good laundry and I liked the pool area. The airport shuttle is also handy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Fiona K, Manager at Kununurra Country Club Resort, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
We appreciate your feedback on your stay - both positives and negatives. The Country Club is on old property and despite the efforts of housekeeping to keep it clean and well presented, some areas are requiring refurbishment. The property changed hands in January, so refurbishment planning is underway. It's great to hear that you found our Reception team helpful and well informed - we hope they helped to improve your discovery of our extraordinary part of the world.
I am very disappointed to hear of your experience in the restaurant for dinner - it is not the standard of service we expect our staff to maintain so it will be followed up. It is such a shame you did not get the chance to enjoy our dessert menu and finish your evening on a positive.
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed one night, room was clean and spacious. all amenities worked well. Swimming pool area is beautiful. Service was fantastic. Ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel and was very impressed by the quality of food and the price. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Club room was the room I had, didnt see any others
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you - we look forward to welcoming you back to the Country Club!
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here for the 5th time, as my work often brings me to Kununurra and the employer uses this hotel/motel (to call it a resort is exagerration). This time i brought my wife. The rooms are simple, no microwave or any luxury, but OK. The airco works good. The restaurant had a good choice for vegetarians as well.
Breakfast buffet for 28 $ is scandalously overpriced and much better consumed in walking distance in town. The biggest joke is the wireless internet, or so it is called. All 5 times I stayed at the club over the last 20 months I was handed a little card with a passcode with useless internet. The connection drops all the tome and if you are really lucky and get some emailsin, then it is too slow to browse. It would be fairer to say that there is no internet available.
For well over 200$ vastly overpriced.

Room Tip: Second floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Fiona K, Manager at Kununurra Country Club Resort, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback. With the recent change of ownership, Management have been tasked with addressing a number of the issues you have raised. Unfortunately some of them are going to take some time to resolve to an appropriate standard. The WiFi is a priority and although we have been receiving excellent feedback on the improvement in April and May, the system has started experiencing intermittent outages again and we are working hard to resolve them or find an alternative system. Great to hear you appreciated the vegetarian options on the menu - this is something our Chefs are working hard to maintain.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at the Kununurra Country Club Resort. The location is central as I came upon the resort as I drove into town, close to the main shopping precint. The resort is beautifully maintained and has very tidy, but lush tropical gardens and great pool facilities.

It also appears very popular with tour operators as I noticed a few coaches arrive at different times.

The rooms are clean and a decent television, bar fridge, good bathrom and air-conditioner and fans make you comfortable in no time.

I dined at the restaurant, Kelly's Bar and Grill and found it hard to choose between the steaks and the Glacier 51 Patagonia tooth fish. I went for the steak and it was beautiful with great sauce and sides to accompany it. The portions were very generous.

I found the staff very helpful and friendly. I didn't have a particularly long time in Kununurra, but Fiona was able to direct me to the best nearby spots, with clear directions and accurate travels times- which meant I could fit in as much as possible. The visit to Lake Argyle was a real highlight.

Glad I chose this as the place to stay at, when prices were close I think this was best location, great rooms and fantastic meals - with friendly, helpful and knowledgable staff.

Looking forward to my next visit so I can try the Patagonia fish on the menu.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Great to hear you found us good value and enjoyed the service. We have a lot planned for the property in the coming year - so visit us again soon. Look forward to hearing about the Glacier 51 Patagonian Toothfish after your next visit - it really is amazing!
Canberra
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Beautiful tropical setting - great feel walking the spacious grounds filled with well-maintained tropical trees . Very attractive pool with well set up sails for sun protection.Very modern, well designed, spotlessly clean room ("Club Room") with excellent bathroom (with effective external exhaust) complete with twin contemporary basins and walk-in shower. Comfortable bed, good quiet A/C, effective & attractive timber shutters on the windows and adequate TV (small but good foxtel). Reception staff very friendly & could not be more helpful with advice, directions and assistance with storing luggage after checking out. A great stay. Unconditional recommendation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We a very happy to know that you enjoyed your time with us enough to provide an unconditional recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to the extraordinary East Kimberley soon!