“Nostalgic visit”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Palm Cove
Sydney, Australia
“Nostalgic visit”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Our last time in Palm Cove was 1987 (home leave from Tokyo), and the Reef House was there but much smaller. Accordingly, we chose this destination after returning from the first part of our trip spent at Port Douglas. Notwithstanding that "Ita" was brewing near the Solomons, the weather for our was near perfect, and this gave us the opportunity to see Palm Cove and the Reef House at their best.

Absolutely no complaints about our stay, as the amenities and service are first class and typically Queensland orientated. Very comfortable room, and a choice of several pools (one salt-water and one chlorinated). Lovely buffet breakfast was included (optional cooked breakfast fort a cost, although not really necessary). Interestingly, we made use of the resort restaurant for our dinner, and really wondered, afterwards, why we had been trying to find a dedicated restaurant in the area. The resort's meals were above expectations, and we were very impressed with the servers and the high quality of food . We had tried a highly recommended, discrete (and recently relocated) restaurant, and were very critical of the entire experience, especially after we were earlier told it was BYO and we then found that it actually "didn't have a liquor licence yet". My wife described it as "try-hard" food.

In respect to Reef House (it is an Accor hotel), we will definitely be returning for a longer holiday - hopefully when there is no chance of impending cyclones. A wonderful experience to remember, at a place to be recommended to any travellers, intending to stay in Palm Cove.

1 Thank KarateCronulla
Brett S, General Manager at The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear KarateCronulla,

Thank you for your positive review about The Reef House. I am very excited and happy to hear that you had another memorable stay here with us and enjoyed our hospitality once again.

I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team here and I am sure they will all be extremely happy to hear the same. I hope you get to visit us again during the dry season and enjoy sunny Queensland.

Thank you once again and we look forward to having you with us in the near future.

Brett Skinner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed for four nights last week at Reef House and had a great experience. Our time was cut short by a day due to the approaching cyclone and we look forward to returning to make up for lost time. The staff could not have been more helpful, especially in preparing guests for the coming storm. Our beachfront spa room was great, the pool and lounge areas well designed and the evening punch and canapés appreciated. The restaurant is first rate and we can recommend breakfast, lunch and dinner. Order breakfast from the menu rather than the buffet for great meals. The friendliness and helpfulness of the staff deserve great praise.

1 Thank Greg M
Dear Greg M,

Thank you for your positive review about The Reef House. I am very excited and happy to hear that you had a memorable stay here with us and gave you the comfort during Cyclone Ita.

I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team here and I am sure they will all be extremely happy to hear the same. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the restaurant and resort facilities thoroughly.

Thank you once again and we look forward to having you with us in thee near future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Loved our stay here. Staff couldn't do enough for us. Spacious rooms, 3 pools, great restaurant with open outlook to the beach and an honour system at the bar to make you feel special. Very peaceful and gentle place and quite different to the more commercial style modern hotels it competes with. Met some nice guests as well. We will recommend to our friends.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Madonna W
Dear Madonna W,

Thank you for your positive review about The Reef House. I am very excited and happy to hear that you had a memorable stay here with us.

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed at the Reef House for just the one night with my 11 month old daughter as we had a friend's party to go to in Palm Cove and I did not want to drive back to Cairns at night.

The staff were extremely lovely and helpful. Offering me a ground floor room to make it easy for me with a pram. They also carried my bags which was a big help.

The room was larger than I was expecting which was nice! The bathroom was small and the sinks were outside, but I find this quite hand, especially if you are travelling with a partner and you can get ready whilst the other is in the bathroom!

The ONLY problem I had with my stay is that I didn't find the bed particularly comfortable (perhaps because it was two beds joined together). The pillows as well weren't great- but for one night I wasn't too worried.

I also had breakfast at the resort which was the perfect size and reasonably priced. The staff were once again very friendly.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank bjedwards83
Dear bjedwards83,

Thank you for your positive review about The Reef House. I am happy to hear that we accomodated your requests for your stay and made you feel at home.

I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team here and I am sure they will all be extremely happy to hear the same. It is our aim to provide a memorable stay for all our guests at The Reef House.

Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a dreadful wet day and night, I would have loved to stay on a bright beautiful day and enjoyed the pool and facilities so much more.
The hotel is ageing but it has a lovely feel about the place with gorgeous pools and gardens.
The staff are brilliant, super helpful and friendly.
The rooms are large, shower only with basin in main room. Bed comfy, towels ok but more please and would have loved a compendium advising of all the facilities available in hotel and Palm Cove.
Not a lot of shelter getting up to room and about when its pelting rain, and whilst brollies are available at front desk, maybe leave a couple in the room especially in the wet season.
Loved the honesty bar, breakfast was nice without being WOW. Washing machine and dryers for a small fee. Undercover parking. Free internet.
The hotel is a lovely tropical getaway in the beautiful Palm Cove...despite the weather!!l

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear kezCairns,

Thank you for your positive review about The Reef House. I am very excited and happy to hear that you had a memorable stay here with us and made you feel at home even on a wet day.

I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team here and I am sure they will all be extremely happy to hear the same. As a boutique hotel we try to give all our guests a comfortable stay with the best possible customer service.

Sydney
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is our second stay at Reef House, although some 6 years apart. This time we stayed for 5 days on a relaxing break and whilst not luxurious, the hotel has a unique restful atmosphere. Staff are all very friendly and laid back with great service, both in the hotel and the restaurant. We had breakfast each morning and the omelette made to your individual requirements, is definitely worth ordering. We also had dinner one evening and the food was very enjoyable. The only disappointment was that the spa had closed down as our last visit had been one of our favourite spa experiences. We were offered spa treatments at their sister hotel, Sea Temple which was a reasonable walk from Reef House. Much more pleasant to walk downstairs for your massage and back to your room to relax. The two pools were very well kept and at this time of year were both very quiet. We would definitely stay here again and look forward to a treatment at the replacement spa on our next visit !

Room Tip: We stayed in a verandah suite on the third floor which was quite spacious and a nice view out to sea...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Brett S, General Manager at The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear cdmknows,

Thank you for taking time out to write a review about your stay at The Reef House. I am glad to hear that you had a relaxing stay and the service you received was exceptional.

We are extremely sorry that we could provide you the same spa experience as you received last time. We are working towards re-opening the spa as quickly as we can, keeping in mind to provide the best spa experience in whole of Tropical North Queensland.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we are looking forward to have both of you here with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Cove
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas
Peppers Beach Club & Spa
Peppers Beach Club & Spa
#4 of 11 in Palm Cove

Been to The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!