“GREAT TO GOOD”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Palm Cove
Brisbane, Australia
“GREAT TO GOOD”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My review of Reef House is tricky; I normally set the bench mark as Four Seasons Dublin and Hotel Widder in Zurich. Reef House is neither. As I walked up the open, but covered walk way to check-in, I felt my tension going away and my smile increasing. I did not have those feelings at the Four Seasons or Hotel Widder.
My visit was at the end of March and for 3 nights, pay for two which raises the value stakes considerably. I have visited Reef House on three previous occasions with the last visit around 5-7 years ago, I think. I gave up on Reef House and for my North Queensland experience, started going to Silky Oaks up on the Mossman River. Would I go back to Reef House this year absolutely.
Let me get to the real pluses: The restaurant is first rate, had all dinners and all breakfasts and one lunch at Reef House. The food was excellent, and better than Hotel Widder, Four Seasons and Silky Oaks. Portion size at dinner and lunch was ideal and the quality, presentation and freshness of each meal was noteworthy The buffet breakfast was adequate. The Nespresso coffee machine was a dual server and the coffee was, as to be expected, good with essentially not wait time. I did observe the full breakfast and it looked a significant step up from the buffet breakfast. Commendably there were two hot components that accompanied the cold components of the buffet breakfast. The dinners were so good at Reef House I did not bother to go to the other nearby restaurants.
Both pools are well maintained and nicely separated and crowding was never an issue. The feel of Reef House is excellent, it is hot and humid and everything seems to slow down, the vegetation is lush and reasonably well maintained.There is still an honour bar, albeit now limited in its offerings, during my previous visits the honour offerings from the bar were more extensive, whether the current offerings is due to the Mecure policy or some "duds" ripped off the system, I have never asked. Such a limited honour bar offering still does convey a homely effect and is nicely supported by some complementary nibbles as the sun goes down.
I am fairly sure my room was 201 [on the ground floor, on the western end at the end of the corridor].It was an excellent room, had a spa, outside area with sink and fridge and great privacy and only one common wall, although the folks upstair could be heard if in heavy shoes. The room was clean and the airconditioning worked well and without intrusive noise. Now here comes the but... the room looked a little tired and the vegetation could have been trimmed a little, just cleaned up. The televison was awkwardly placed but did have some soothing music. The bathrooms were also a little tired but certainly were clean and well stocked with good products.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Reef House, the vibe within Reef House created a lovely tranquility for me, the restaurant, the position of Reef House to the beach and those magic views of the Coral Sea easily overcame my few minor buts.
Get into your shorts, Tshirt, thongs/sandals and let Reef House magic work for you also

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Brett S, General Manager at The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Gregory G,

Thank you for taking the time out to write about The Reef House. I am very excited and happy to hear that you had a memorable stay here with us and felt at home.

I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team here and I am sure they will all be extremely happy to hear the same. I have also spoken with the maintenance team and we have actioned the gardening that you mentioned about.

Thank you once again for your time and we look forward to having you with us in the near future.

Brett Skinner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Rooms in need of renovation - were supposed to have a spa room but got "upgraded" to veranda room which appears to have been a downgrade. Tried to book appointment at the day- spa prior to arrival but when I contacted the hotel the staff member said no need to book an appointment- needless to say we ccould not get an appointment when we arrived - even left a message which was not returned - I would have given this feedback to the hotel personally however the staff member at checkout did not even bother to ask how our stay was

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Debbdavo
Dear Debbdavo,

Thank you for taking the time out to write about your experience at The Reef House.

Needless to say I am extremely disappointed that your expectations weren't met during your stay. I will be speaking to my staff members regarding your experience and take measures to ensure this does not repeat again.

It is our hope that you give us an opportunity to serve us better in the near future.

Coldstream, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My family and I, came to the Reef House Resort for my sons wedding, on the eve of Cyclone Ita. We were over 6hours late due to plane cancellations etc, arriving on the last plane tired, exhausted and hungry. The manager, Brett, personally greeted us on arrival, and made us immediately comfortable, and totally surprised us by bringing out food platters for us all so we could eat. Amazing.
I can only give the highest praise to the magnificent, helpful, and always smiling staff that work there, who all help you, no matter what you ask. Nothing is a hassle. The place was simply beautiful and serene, with gorgeous tropical gardens, spa & pools. The location is ideal. The rooms were great, with absolutely the most comfortable beds. They supplied fresh towels and bathroom accessories each day. The room had all you needed. The breakfast supplied each morning was awesome. Catered to everyone's needs. And the Restaurant Menu. DELICIOUS. All the meals, including the wedding reception meals, were sensational. ( I recommend the Gnocci & Tapas ). I can not fault this place at all. We will definitely be back here again. A great place for a special wedding.
* A special warm thankyou to Brett, Mark and Alex (Gavin, haha) You and your staff are all wonderful Cheers *

Room Tip: We had the Beach Front Spa room with a lovely view of beach and street, and pretty quiet considering...
Dear Connie D,

Thank you for taking the time out to write about The Reef House. I am very excited and happy to hear that you had a memorable stay here with us making you comfortable throughout Cyclone Ita.

I will pass on your comments to Mark, Alex & the rest of the team here and I am sure they will all be extremely happy to hear the same.

Thank you once again and we look forward to having you with us in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We needed a short getaway and were sold on FNQ so we could do the reef and relax. We booked via myqldholiday.com.au (My Holiday Centre) which was not only trouble free but one of the most informative calls we had made.

The Reef House with such history and in such an easy location was a great choice. The pools are great and our room had a spa & BBQ on the verandah allowing us to really just relax. We spent a heap of time by the pool and given this is not really a resort people go with kids felt we could really relax.

Whilst it was hot in February, we knew it and the afternoon drinks in the bar by the pool helped forget about the heat.

Restaurant was amazing.

Our only gripe was that whilst the rooms are large they can feel a little old world. You can tell that they are being upgraded though - the spa is a great example.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear James S,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Our last time in Palm Cove was 1987 (home leave from Tokyo), and the Reef House was there but much smaller. Accordingly, we chose this destination after returning from the first part of our trip spent at Port Douglas. Notwithstanding that "Ita" was brewing near the Solomons, the weather for our was near perfect, and this gave us the opportunity to see Palm Cove and the Reef House at their best.

Absolutely no complaints about our stay, as the amenities and service are first class and typically Queensland orientated. Very comfortable room, and a choice of several pools (one salt-water and one chlorinated). Lovely buffet breakfast was included (optional cooked breakfast fort a cost, although not really necessary). Interestingly, we made use of the resort restaurant for our dinner, and really wondered, afterwards, why we had been trying to find a dedicated restaurant in the area. The resort's meals were above expectations, and we were very impressed with the servers and the high quality of food . We had tried a highly recommended, discrete (and recently relocated) restaurant, and were very critical of the entire experience, especially after we were earlier told it was BYO and we then found that it actually "didn't have a liquor licence yet". My wife described it as "try-hard" food.

In respect to Reef House (it is an Accor hotel), we will definitely be returning for a longer holiday - hopefully when there is no chance of impending cyclones. A wonderful experience to remember, at a place to be recommended to any travellers, intending to stay in Palm Cove.

1 Thank KarateCronulla
Dear KarateCronulla,

Thank you for your positive review about The Reef House. I am very excited and happy to hear that you had another memorable stay here with us and enjoyed our hospitality once again.

I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team here and I am sure they will all be extremely happy to hear the same. I hope you get to visit us again during the dry season and enjoy sunny Queensland.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed for four nights last week at Reef House and had a great experience. Our time was cut short by a day due to the approaching cyclone and we look forward to returning to make up for lost time. The staff could not have been more helpful, especially in preparing guests for the coming storm. Our beachfront spa room was great, the pool and lounge areas well designed and the evening punch and canapés appreciated. The restaurant is first rate and we can recommend breakfast, lunch and dinner. Order breakfast from the menu rather than the buffet for great meals. The friendliness and helpfulness of the staff deserve great praise.

1 Thank Greg M
Dear Greg M,

Thank you for your positive review about The Reef House. I am very excited and happy to hear that you had a memorable stay here with us and gave you the comfort during Cyclone Ita.

I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team here and I am sure they will all be extremely happy to hear the same. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the restaurant and resort facilities thoroughly.

Thank you once again and we look forward to having you with us in thee near future.