The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Palm Cove

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Great location - the 'front door' is literally 10 metres from the beach

More a House Hotel / Guest House than a resort

Mandy who runs the reception in the afternoons/evenings is absolutely wonderful. Kind, genuine and provides lots of really useful information and help. Every hotel needs a Mandy!

Two swimming pools, not crowded and with ample sun loungers

Really great spa with great selection of treatments. Shona the manager is lovely

Breakfast as is others have described with cereals, toast, fruit etc

The front deck area is great with comfy sofas and chairs/tables and sea/beach views

Free wifi

Palm Cove is really nice and quiet and relaxing. Several cafes and restaurants. Main meals average $35 - $40 per person.

Palm Cove have three mini market / corner shops for supplies and snacks. There is also a Post Office and a couple of ATMs

The Bus 110 runs to Cairns every hour or so.

A Shopping Centre with a supermarket (I think Coles) is in the next village.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Brett S, General Manager at The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear TRAVELSfromBRISBANE,

Thank you for taking the time out to write such an informative review about The Reef House and Palm Cove. I am very happy to hear that you had a memorable stay here with us and felt at home.

I will pass on your comments to Mandy and the rest of the team here and I am sure they will all be extremely happy to hear the same.

Thank you once again and we look forward to having you with us in the near future.

Mount Evelyn, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband & I had our wedding at the Reef House. All the staff are amazing nothing is a problem and they will all go above and beyond to help you:) The resort gardens and Pools are beautiful and so relaxing. The room was beautiful and spacious with a spa on the deck. The resort has a beautiful feel to it that makes you feel so relaxed this was by the best place I have ever stayed. The Resort is directly opposite the beach with the restaurant having a beautiful view of the beach all the food including our wedding meals was fantastic especially the included breakfast everyday. My Husband & I are planning on coming back for our one year anniversary next year:) I would like to thank all the staff at the Reef House Palm Cove especially Claire, Mark, Alex, Brett & Holly you were all amazing! and also all the other lovely smiling staff that I don't know the names of:) Cant wait to come back

Room Tip: We had the verandah spa room it was so beautiful the bed was the most comfortable bed that I have ev...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kim D,

Congratulations!!! And thank you for taking the time out to write about The Reef House. I am very happy to hear that you had a memorable stay here with us for your wedding and honeymoon.

Thank you once again for writing about us and we look forward to having you with us in the next few months.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My review of Reef House is tricky; I normally set the bench mark as Four Seasons Dublin and Hotel Widder in Zurich. Reef House is neither. As I walked up the open, but covered walk way to check-in, I felt my tension going away and my smile increasing. I did not have those feelings at the Four Seasons or Hotel Widder.
My visit was at the end of March and for 3 nights, pay for two which raises the value stakes considerably. I have visited Reef House on three previous occasions with the last visit around 5-7 years ago, I think. I gave up on Reef House and for my North Queensland experience, started going to Silky Oaks up on the Mossman River. Would I go back to Reef House this year absolutely.
Let me get to the real pluses: The restaurant is first rate, had all dinners and all breakfasts and one lunch at Reef House. The food was excellent, and better than Hotel Widder, Four Seasons and Silky Oaks. Portion size at dinner and lunch was ideal and the quality, presentation and freshness of each meal was noteworthy The buffet breakfast was adequate. The Nespresso coffee machine was a dual server and the coffee was, as to be expected, good with essentially not wait time. I did observe the full breakfast and it looked a significant step up from the buffet breakfast. Commendably there were two hot components that accompanied the cold components of the buffet breakfast. The dinners were so good at Reef House I did not bother to go to the other nearby restaurants.
Both pools are well maintained and nicely separated and crowding was never an issue. The feel of Reef House is excellent, it is hot and humid and everything seems to slow down, the vegetation is lush and reasonably well maintained.There is still an honour bar, albeit now limited in its offerings, during my previous visits the honour offerings from the bar were more extensive, whether the current offerings is due to the Mecure policy or some "duds" ripped off the system, I have never asked. Such a limited honour bar offering still does convey a homely effect and is nicely supported by some complementary nibbles as the sun goes down.
I am fairly sure my room was 201 [on the ground floor, on the western end at the end of the corridor].It was an excellent room, had a spa, outside area with sink and fridge and great privacy and only one common wall, although the folks upstair could be heard if in heavy shoes. The room was clean and the airconditioning worked well and without intrusive noise. Now here comes the but... the room looked a little tired and the vegetation could have been trimmed a little, just cleaned up. The televison was awkwardly placed but did have some soothing music. The bathrooms were also a little tired but certainly were clean and well stocked with good products.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Reef House, the vibe within Reef House created a lovely tranquility for me, the restaurant, the position of Reef House to the beach and those magic views of the Coral Sea easily overcame my few minor buts.
Get into your shorts, Tshirt, thongs/sandals and let Reef House magic work for you also

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Gregory G,

Thank you for taking the time out to write about The Reef House. I am very excited and happy to hear that you had a memorable stay here with us and felt at home.

I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team here and I am sure they will all be extremely happy to hear the same. I have also spoken with the maintenance team and we have actioned the gardening that you mentioned about.

Thank you once again for your time and we look forward to having you with us in the near future.

Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Rooms in need of renovation - were supposed to have a spa room but got "upgraded" to veranda room which appears to have been a downgrade. Tried to book appointment at the day- spa prior to arrival but when I contacted the hotel the staff member said no need to book an appointment- needless to say we ccould not get an appointment when we arrived - even left a message which was not returned - I would have given this feedback to the hotel personally however the staff member at checkout did not even bother to ask how our stay was

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Debbdavo
Dear Debbdavo,

Thank you for taking the time out to write about your experience at The Reef House.

Needless to say I am extremely disappointed that your expectations weren't met during your stay. I will be speaking to my staff members regarding your experience and take measures to ensure this does not repeat again.

It is our hope that you give us an opportunity to serve us better in the near future.

Coldstream, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My family and I, came to the Reef House Resort for my sons wedding, on the eve of Cyclone Ita. We were over 6hours late due to plane cancellations etc, arriving on the last plane tired, exhausted and hungry. The manager, Brett, personally greeted us on arrival, and made us immediately comfortable, and totally surprised us by bringing out food platters for us all so we could eat. Amazing.
I can only give the highest praise to the magnificent, helpful, and always smiling staff that work there, who all help you, no matter what you ask. Nothing is a hassle. The place was simply beautiful and serene, with gorgeous tropical gardens, spa & pools. The location is ideal. The rooms were great, with absolutely the most comfortable beds. They supplied fresh towels and bathroom accessories each day. The room had all you needed. The breakfast supplied each morning was awesome. Catered to everyone's needs. And the Restaurant Menu. DELICIOUS. All the meals, including the wedding reception meals, were sensational. ( I recommend the Gnocci & Tapas ). I can not fault this place at all. We will definitely be back here again. A great place for a special wedding.
* A special warm thankyou to Brett, Mark and Alex (Gavin, haha) You and your staff are all wonderful Cheers *

Room Tip: We had the Beach Front Spa room with a lovely view of beach and street, and pretty quiet considering...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Connie D,

Thank you for taking the time out to write about The Reef House. I am very excited and happy to hear that you had a memorable stay here with us making you comfortable throughout Cyclone Ita.

I will pass on your comments to Mark, Alex & the rest of the team here and I am sure they will all be extremely happy to hear the same.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Cove
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas
Peppers Beach Club & Spa
Peppers Beach Club & Spa
#4 of 11 in Palm Cove

Been to The Reef House Palm Cove - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!