“Not very good....”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Palm Cove
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Me and my husband stayed here for 5 nights and wernt satisfied at all. We were told we could check in before the check in time but every time we went to check in they said 'another half an hour'. We knew which room we were in and for the 4 hours we were waiting, not one person went in there. Then 4 hours later when it was 2pm they said 'yep they have just finished'....lies.....
when we got in the room there was no mini bar, no bowls, spoons, forks or anything. We had to request these. our tv had poor reception and would often switch off! The pool was so hot but that is not there fault! the weather makes it hot! doesnt refresh you at all!!! there were about 2 or 3 staff that were fab! overall id pay a bit more to stay in a nicer place......also gym and 25m pool and tennis court are extra costs of about 9 dollars....the gym is pretty old and terrible so id avoid it! also we had extra charges on our bill, so always check!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Krishna R, Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear 238victorias,

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I apologise if you were told that you were able to check in earlier and this did not occur. The Hotel’s check in time is 2pm; although in some instances where the room is ready, check in may be permitted earlier. We are happy to store guest’s luggage until check-in if they arrive early so that you are free to explore the surrounds.

Our rooms do not have a minibar as all essentials are easily available for purchase from the Micro Bar in Reception. All rooms should however have utensils, and I apologise that these were not present in the room.

I note that you mentioned that guests have to pay to use facilities. I believe you are referring to the neighbouring leisure club which is not part of the Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove property. Our property has two great swimming pools for guests to beat the heat but it is a shame Palm Cove’s tropical climate didn’t appeal to you.

Thank you again for your comments. I do hope that you return to the hotel for a more positive stay again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove

Reviewed 6 January 2014

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I was up from Brisbane with my two young children to visit family who live in the area. We all had the great idea of taking a relaxing break in a 4* hotel at Palm Cove and chose the Grand Chancellor Hotel - what a MISTAKE! Upon arrival, we had to wait 10 minutes at check-in while a disgruntled hotel guest was expressing their list of concerns whilst checking out. Only one staff member was working at reception and saw no reason to call for assistance. When we finally got to our check-in, we were informed that despite requesting two rooms close together (for the uninitiated this hotel sprawls across a large area split by a road), the allocated rooms were at opposite ends of the complex. The manager was called and finally resolved - rather unsatisfactorily - to allocate our parties rooms at the opposite ends of the same half of the complex at an additional cost to us. We arrived at our room to find that it smelt musty, the bathroom was absolutely gross (picture chipped tiles, rust stains around the door frame, a stained white bathroom vanity)... and a soiled toilet. Housekeeping staff responded promptly to a request to clean the soiled toilet, but this is not the point. Guests expect a fresh, clean room upon arrival. Also, we had to remain in our room with the balcony door closed because of the overwhelming stench of cigarette smoke from at least one if not two of the "non-smoking" rooms next door. We dined (lunch and dinner) at the 'V Bar'. The one staff member working at the bar was extremely hard-working but was clearly overwhelmed by the requirement to take food orders, serve drinks and then rush from the bar to the restaurant to collect meals to be served (leaving the bar unattended). As a result, service is slooowwwww. When we returned for dinner, we found that the tables had not been wiped down from lunch (we found our nephews' squashed chips from lunch still on and under the table). Also, the arms of the chairs were all sticky (yuck). Breakfast served in the restaurant the next morning was no better. Our party was "greeted" by two quite unfriendly staff leaning on the front desk who did little more than ask our room number and failed to explain the buffet or even be superficially pleasant. We ate breakfast surrounded by dirty plates and bowls that piled up for 20 minutes before a new staff member appeared and cleaned them away. The experiences of my family were stellar compared with the two other families also staying at the hotel. We simply could not wait to escape from our "hotel from hell".

2  Thank Kathleen H
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Novotel taken over by Grand Chancellor sometime prior to Christmas break. Lunch booking made with Novotel with no correspondance regarding change of management. Found out about change when booked accommodation, assurance given on check-in that Xmas lunch bookings OK. Accommodation very tired looking and in need of refurbishment. VERY small and fridge not chilling food enough in our tropical climate. Resturant management on the day very poor, not enough seating for our party, made feel like we were trying to sneak extra numbers in when asked to produce our confirmation emails which were presented then not even looked at. Directed to wait on verandah, needed to request beverages while staff set extra tables. Once seated, meal was lovely and the waiting staff particularly Diane where terrific. Airconditioning in resturant not adequate.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Sharon B,

I would like to apologise if you did not receive notification regarding the change of hotel ownership. We did strive to communicate this to our contactable guests and I apologise that this did not occur for you. I would also like to apologise for the confusion with your Christmas day booking and am glad the day ended smoothly for you with a great meal and service. I will be sure to pass your praise on to the relevant staff.

Thank you for your feedback, it is most valued and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel was one disappointment after another from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. We pre-booked our rooms and requested them to be near each other and to be in a non-smoking area. Upon arrival we were told they were as far apart as physically possible and one of them ended up being in a smoking area! I complained about this so we were 'upgraded' to another room that was still at the opposite end of the block but at least on the same side of the road! I was told I would be charged $40 for the rollaway bed they would have to put in the room. Not sure why this would cost $40... The bathroom/toilet in one room was dirty and soiled and the bathroom tiles were cracked in both rooms. I also killed 3 spiders in this 'upgraded' room including one in the bathroom. The restaurant was not open for dinner, a fact that was lied about when I phoned earlier to check that it was open as we would have stayed elsewhere had we known it was closed. We had to eat at the 'bar' and the tables were still filthy from lunch time. After dinner, we walked the long trek to our room only to find our key (card) no longer opened the door! My 2 children and I walked all the way back to reception where the woman 'reactivated' our card and said it would be fine - NO APOLOGY! Long walk back to our room, only to find the card still didn't work! We walked back to reception again and there was a bar staff member disappearing around the corner who smartly said to her colleague from reception that she had people to serve. I failed to see the humour in her silly comment. I told the reception woman that the key still didn't work so she then came to our room with a 'tool' to open our door and then gave us 2 new cards which then worked. Once again, very little/no recognition of the ordeal we had been through and minimal apology. In the morning, my son slipped over on the wet tiles in our kitchenette which had become wet because of the leaking airconditioner in our room. He is now sporting a bruise on his arm. As part of our 'deal', breakfast was included for 2 people so we decided to eat there. The 2 women who 'greeted' guests as they walked in were extremely unfriendly and certainly not welcoming. Our dirty plates sat on our table for most of our meal until a 3rd hardworking staff member single-handedly cleared them away. Then check out... The morning reception woman said she wouldn't charge us the $40 for the broken rollaway bed they gave us to use. I thought this was inadequate considering the nightmare we had been through but by this stage I had had enough and just wanted to go home so I accepted it. Five minutes later someone else from our travelling party went to reception to check out and overheard this woman and the assistant manager discussing me. How unprofessional (yet again).

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
3  Thank Sue W

Dear Sue W,

Thank you for your feedback - I understand that several aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations.

I would like to apologise that the room you requested was not available. While we do try to accommodate all requests, unfortunately during busier periods it is not always possible. This is precisely why we offer room requests only and not guarantees. I was surprised to read that you said you were situated in a smoking area as all of our rooms are non-smoking with a handful of designated smoking areas around the hotel.

The restaurant is open for a buffet breakfast where as lunch and dinner operate from the V Bar. The V Bar is open 7 days a week for alfresco lunch and an a la carte dinner. I apologise if you were told different from the above.

Thank you for the mention of the leaking air-conditioner and I am sorry that your son slipped. I have raised this with our Chief Engineer for immediate inspection. I would encourage you in the future to mention any items of a maintenance nature to us straight away so that we are able to get them rectified for you immediately. In this way we hope to be able to ensure your comfort throughout your stay.

Thank you once again and I hope that you will consider returning for another stay in the future so that we can prove your experience was not the usual standard.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed here with my husband & 2 children. We had a room with 2 double beds, beds were comfie with nice clean linen, that's where the nice stopped!!! Our room was across the road from main building.

Room smelled musty on arrival, bathroom was gross, mould around sink and bath& broken units, window was nailed shut . TV didn't work ( rang reception, TV had to be swapped). Dirty and cheap utensils in kitchenette.

Our "balcony" over looked the back of property, which was fine, until u realise u couldn't use it as large colonies of ants had taken up home. Huge spider nests all around it. Basically the room was a haven for bugs, as we found a spider in my daughters pillow ( luckily we checked the bedding). We went to Palm cove pier to watch the New Year's Eve fireworks which were fantastic. On the walk back heading up the road to hotel there was no lighting, NO lighting on stairs up to room, which is all out door, NO outdoor lighting at all, so u try make your way in the dark praying that your kids don't get bitten by anything!!!

The pool was large and clean, once u manoeuvre around broken tiles, cheap white plastic furniture is not what u expect of a hotel boasting 4*.
We stayed one night and left early next morning. To realise we had been charged twice for the room when checking bank accounts.
All in all, we will never stay there again. Friendly staff can NOT make up for bad management.

Dear Samanthapar,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Palm Cove.

I was disheartened that your experience with our housekeeping team did not come up to your expectations during your stay with us. I have brought your feedback to the attention of our Housekeeping Manager so that they may ensure the team is aware of the issues raised, and that they are continually providing service that is up to our usual high standards.

I apologise for the issue experienced with the television and am glad that our staff were able to rectify this for you. I also understand that you had some insect concerns during your stay. Due to North Queensland’s tropical climate unfortunately insects are quite common and the Hotel does have a regular pest control program to combat these as best as possible.

You also made mention that the Hotel possesses no lighting however the property does have minimal lighting. I am sorry if you feel as though this was not sufficient for your family.

It was also quite disturbing to read that you were charged twice for accommodation. I can assure you that this is not usual practice and I deeply apologise. Please contact the Hotel on 07 4059 1234 so that we may look into this for you.

Reviewed 3 January 2014