“Tired hotel with misleading advertising”

Sarayi Boutique Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Palm Cove
Melbourne, Australia
“Tired hotel with misleading advertising”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

If Sarayi promoted itself as what it is - a relatively cheap hotel in the centre of one of the most beautiful beaches in Far North Queensland then I wouldn't be writing this review. It doesn't.
It is a cheap hotel and its lower cost rooms are badly in need of a renovation.
The Garden View Rooms are located on the ground floor and travelers wont have seen anything like them unless they were commercial travelers in inland Australia in the early 1980's. They look like converted fibro garages - maybe they are - we didn't stay in the rooms long enough to find out.
The friendly management (and he is friendly) were more than happy to transfer us to a hotel room - with the door opening onto reception. At least I guess it was close to all amenities except the pool located on the roof.
One of those amenities - advertised on every booking site is free WiFi. Forget it.
The Sarayi does have WiFi, originally configured apparently for pay as you go but these days its configuration (as the manager cheerfully admitted) is primarily designed to make it impossible to log on - and we were less than a beds length from the modem.
Don't worry though as you will be advised on arrival that free WiFi is in fact available in the Rising Sun Cafe at the front of the Hotel. Its not actually part of the hotel so you will have to buy something each time you want to access the internet (so does that actually make it free? No - and not convenient either.)
The best comes when you stay for more than one day.
We placed the 'Tidy My Room' hanger out as we left for the day only to arrive back later in the evening finding nothing touched in the room with the possible exception of the towels being changed - even that wasn't for sure. The hanger had definitely been placed back inside the room though. Three nights later and still no making of the bed or even sweeping of the floor.
After a quick look at the website listing and located deep in the 'features' we eventually found the term 'Limited Housekeeping". Maybe that is what that means - towels only.
Once our annoyance had subsided we just put up with the situation but its not a wise way to do business in my opinion.
Cheap room with limited service and no WiFi - Value for money. Sure.
Outstanding hotel with Exceptional Service? Whoever wrote that must have logged their review under the wrong hotel.
This is definitely not a four star hotel - three at most - but its probably decent value for money if the listing is corrected so future customers are not mislead about the service.

Room Tip: If you book the cheap rooms be ready for something well below four star quality and no internet or c...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank liquidseal
JohnAstle, General Manager at Sarayi Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Liquidseal,

It appears unfortunately that your review is based largely on my miss-understanding of a conversation we had.

When you returned later in the day around 6pm, I did apologize for my mis-understanding from our morning conversation that I thought you not longer required a daily service. I then offered you the choice of two hotel rooms for the final night of your stay. Choosing to stay in your existing room I then promptly vacuumed your room, changed the sheets, and supplied new towels. I am a little confused about your reference to “three nights later” because you only stayed with us for two nights.

Our daily housekeeping consists of new towels, and replacement of amenities – shampoo etc, tea and coffee, if required. A more comprehensive mid-stay service is provided for stays seven nights or more.

We have experienced some intermittent issues with Wi-Fi performance which are hard to diagnose. I have had two different guests stay in the same room – one experienced problems, while the other was able to work throughout the week-end on her university assignment without any issues. This highlights that in some instances that the device may contribute to the issue. The Rising Sun’s Wi-Fi within our building does offer a handy back-up at times.

The Garden Studios are definitely our “budget” rooms, but very popular with a large number of guests who are after a no-frills room in the heart of Palm Cove. Unfortunately I was not able to show you our Ocean View and Mountain View apartments as they were all occupied. However I am confident that they demonstrate a high standard of room that contributes to the consistent high rating of the hotel.

Kind regards,
John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We had our wedding on the rooftop at Sarayi at the end of April 2014 and about 30 of our guests, including ourselves stayed at the hotel for the week of the wedding. Firstly, John the manager, was outstanding on our wedding day and went above and beyond to make sure our guests were well looked after for the duration of their stay. Everyone had nothing but good things to say about the hotel and staff.

This was the fourth time we had stayed at Sarayi over the last 2 years and we have always been very happy with our rooms and quality of service. The food from "The Rising Sun" is top class and the staff are very friendly and professional. It was an easy decision for us to hold our wedding at Sarayi as the beach front location combined with the staff and management is a recipe for success!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle M
JohnAstle, General Manager at Sarayi Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Hi Michelle,

It was a pleasure to have your wedding on the rooftop at Sarayi. It was a great team effort from both the the hotel and restaurant staff to ensure that your special day went smoothly. We really appreciated the way everyone enjoyed themselves despite a little bit of rain. (:-)

Cheers,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here as a single traveller and the general manager was everything I hoped for. He arranged airport transfers, gave honest and personal advice on activities and he was a true gentleman ensuring very part of my stay was superb. The room was extremely spacious with everything you need, toiletries, fridge, coffee making facilities etc etc. The roof top pool was very private and overall cleanliness was very good. I stayed on the ground floor room by reception but noise was never an issue and I slept well in a very large and comfortable bed. The location is central to palm cove and all amenities were on the door step. Late check out was arranged with no hassle and nothing was too much trouble. The only downs (if you can call them that) were the inconsistent wifi, the low height of the shower and minor maintenance work that was done during the day. Overall and extremely pleasurable stay made all the better by the outstanding customer service from the management.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Hi Claire,

It is great to get such positive feedback from someone who is a regular contributor to TripAdvisor. I appreciate you pointing out even the small items that can help us improve our guest experience, especially the timing of our minor maintenance.

Cheers,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Sarayi in April 2014 for a wedding, when we arrived our booking wasn't there, the manager was so lovely he upgraded is straight away. Great service , very clean rooms, perfect location opposite the beach, walking distance to everything. I read the negative feedback , and I thought it was a pack of lies, because the place was beauitful and clean and the service was great , sometimes in certain spots I couldn't get phone reception but that's normal everywhere u go. Overall I enjoyed my stay and would highly recommend to stay here.

• Stayed April 2014
JohnAstle, General Manager at Sarayi Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Hi Brookeandmichael,

Thanks for being patient with the missing booking - a system glitch between the booking agent and our reservation system. I'm glad that I was able to assist and make your visit an enjoyable one. Thank you also for your comments about the cleanliness of the hotel - we have made some changes to our cleaning processes since that negative feedback.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Enjoyed our stay, staff was very accommodating, John, the general manager was very helpful. The hotel was clean, room was spacious, right at the beach. Price was vary fair. The restaurant served excellent fresh local meats, fish and produce Highly recommend this hotel.
Gerry and Donna W

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GerryWa
JohnAstle, General Manager at Sarayi Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Hi GerryWa,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Sarayi, and dining experience at the Rising Sun Bar and Bistro. We enjoyed having you with us. You will be pleased to know that Cyclone Ita did not cause any damage to us, and that after cleaning the leaves and branches, we were ready for a wedding reception on the rooftop the following day.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This hotel was great, as it was not only well placed but also very clean with spacious rooms and a fantastic management. Whatever I had to ask or needed, was fulfilled and answered immediately. There is a roof pool, I did not use, a washing machine and dryer to be used by the guests, free and fast Wifi, free and safe parking. The attached restaurant provides food and the small shop in the building is good for emergencies (Otherwise drive 5 km to a real supermarket). Also regarding my snorkeling tours, everything was organized for very good prices. All in all top !

Room Tip: Rather take a garden room towards the parking places, more quiet and better Wifi...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Karsten R
JohnAstle, General Manager at Sarayi Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Hello Karsten,

Thank you for your review of Sarayi. I am pleased that we were able to make your stay in Palm Cove an enjoyable one. I have checked with our I.T. provider, and the Garden Studios where you stayed definitely have the strongest signal for the Wi-Fi.

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

John, the General Manager, provided outstanding service during our stay at the Sarayi Hotel.
He communicated with us prior to our arrival & everything was exactly as we had arranged.
Quiet, very clean property, well located with easy walking access to all the local restaurants.
Great value & would definitely return to Sarayi. Thanks John!
Ray & Pat
Canada

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ray P
JohnAstle, General Manager at Sarayi Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Hi Ray and Pat,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm pleased that our service met your expectations, and helped make your holiday a memorable one. See you for Pat's next milestone birthday. (:-)

Warm regards,