“Simply lovely”

Pullman Palm Cove Sea Temple Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Palm Cove
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed here for a week in March 2012. Once arriving at Cairns rather early and picking up our hire car i rang the resort to see when our room maybe ready as we were happy to hang around Cairns if need be. The person who answered the phone was lovely, more than happy to sort out our room for us and told us it would be ready in 30 mins. Once we arrived we were greeted by the same man (sorry i have forgotten his name but he had a french accent) who helped my husband with the luggage and checked us in swiftly. We had just the studio spa room, which is only on the 1st floor, but still was well appointed and neat and clean. The resort facilities were great - the walk to the beach was right near the pools, the pool bar staff were friendly, as were the housekeeping staff. We had room service one night and it was the nicest room service we have ever had (the cocunut rice was to die for). The staff at reception helped us book our reef trip and car parking was a breeze. We had a slight hiccup with the hot water in room, as the water service blew 2 days before the end of our trip but the staff sorted it with another room to shower in (the hotel was quite empty as it was wet season) and delivered a nice bottle of bubbly to our room as sorry! We will go back for sure - perhaps not in March as wet season up there really is WET season! Pay a visit to the spa too - well worth it! Best pedicure i have ever had.

Thanks again Sea Temple. Looking forward to our next stay!

2  Thank GemmaZ
Write a ReviewReviews (1,212)

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Sea Temple is a beautiful oasis in the tropics. We upgraded to a one bedroom suite that had a full kitchen including a washer/dryer. When traveling for a couple of weeks that really comes in handy. The facilities are great. We ate at the restaurant, swam in one of the beautiful pools and drank mai tai's in the bar. Everyone was exceptionally nice, especially Arno the manager and Liam our bartender. The hotel is walking distance to the town as well. We would stay again if we go back to Palm Cove.

4  Thank Linda R
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We stayed at the sea temple, however we booked it though the owner of the penthouse. It was gorgeous. The apartment was perfect with huge king size bed and lovely open plan living. A true home away from home. We had a huge roof top covered terrace that had a spa, was just so nice to spend time there. We didn't use the other facilities that much as our own private sanctuary was all we needed, however there were 2 pools that looked lovely. The gym was also suitable for 'holiday exercise'. Enjoyed our 4 night stay.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for the penthouse.
3  Thank benedj
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights it was really nice and relaxing considering the weather was not too good, The rooms were very clean and spacious we will return

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Kim S
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I've worked in Hospitality (Front Office) for over 12 years and have stayed in numerous Hotels around the world, including Hong Kong, Vietnam and Malaysia (where you cannot fault the service) and have never EVER experienced as such a disgraceful stay as I have had here...

We booked on Wotif a Mystery Deal and initially were delighted to see that we got given the Sea Temple in Palm Cove. One of our tTop 5 Groups who used to stay with my Hotel in Ayers Rock use this Hotel as well, so I was assured that we would have a nice relaxing time and that we would be in good hands.

However when we arrived in Palm Cove, we didnt expect to have to walk such a long way just to get to the entrance of the Hotel. In early march the temperates were in the mid to high thirties, when you are lugging a suitcase and fishing gear its a bit of an annoyance

Anyway, we enter the Hotel and check in. Be advised that this Hotel WILL pre-auth your card for $100. We have a debit card so it takes the funds off, unable to be used for 5-7 working days. We mentioned that we are happy to have the mini bar removed, and the movies shut off - but they advised that it was for security of the room. Sure, we were a little hot and sweaty when we got there, and sure we werent dressed in designer clothes, just casual weekend wear (after all its my day off and I wear that stuff every day at work!) but I really feel that we were socially profiled - made to feel that we were he kind of people who might trash the room. Or else be a problem...

We ended up paying the $100 via EFTPOS so all way OK. My parter unfortunately forgot to bring his ID so they then refused to check us in. I understand that Wotif's T&C advise that you must present Identification on check in, which fair enough is a rule given by Wotif. But I have waived that for guests before, this property is not at all lax. They excuse was that they were burned before - we provided everythign else with ID - medicare card, credit card, bill but that wasnt enough

I ended up having to call Wotif and they happily added my name to the booking..

We had to sit in the hot non-airconditioned lobby for almost half an hour, holding our room 'hostage' while we waited for the confirmation from Wotif. I then happily showed them my ID, they took it away, presumably to be photocopied, and returned. Only then were we given a key to our room.

At no stage were we offered a cold drink of water, nor were we offered one of those nice cool towels that they, presumably, give guests on arrival..

All is OK when we got to the room - it was so small, however nicely decorated. I was pretty astounded at the cost of this room ($164 a night 'Mystery Deal') and equally astounded to hear of their rack rate. Although it did have a lovely view of the leaf ridden roof of the floor below.

Moving along, we decide to order room service, thinking we could charge it to our room (as we left $100 'deposit' it really didnt leave any extra money for us to enjoy a local restaurant as we planned - essentially forcing us to eat at their property)

Our order arriving, surprisingly very quickly, however my Caesar salad with chicken, which I paid extra for the chicked, arrived with, you guessed it - no chicken. A prompt call to Room Service rectified

Only moments later after telephone call, did we recieved a call from (we assume) the Duty Manager (MOD), telling us that we had to pay cash for our dinner we had only just recieved minutes ago and had started to enjoy! We explained that we were under the assumption that as we had to pay $100 that would cover anything charged to the room and/or anything from Minibar. The MOD then said it did not cover this, and the $100 he reiterated that it would be security on the room, again insinuating that we might somehow trash the room. As we had travelled with little money and splurged at this Hotel last minute, plus the face that we had to pay an additional $100 on top of pre-paying for our room, left us with not a lot of money to play with. We explained this to the MOD and he left to speak with the Rooms Division Manager. He then explained their policy, however they would waive it this time. We were grateful, and then knowing that my salad was safely paid for, continuted to finish

All in all these events left me even more stressed than when we had left Cairns that morning - so my partner suggesting running a nice warm bath and relaxing..BIG MISTAKE

Whilst the bath was relaxing, it was also unsafe. In my attempts to get OUT of the bath, I started to slip - the product provided to bathe with was extremely slippery and I did not feel safe in trying to get out of the bath (bearing in mind that these baths are extremely deep and narrow with no traction whatsoever) I eventually had to get my parter to help me to get out of the bath..there were no hand rails and nothing at all to grip onto to assist. I cut myself several times on the glass door attempting to get myself out.

When this was mentioned to the Night Staff (they were doing a handover at the time) they made light of the situation and gave my partner a band aid.

From the get go, this experience was extremely stressful, and we couldnt wait to check out the next morning.

And to top it off, when we checked out, we had to wait for Housekeeping or a Manager to 'check out room' to make sure we didnt 'trash' it before they gave us the remainder of our deposit back

If you are considering staying here, please choose another property that that doesnt treat you like a criminal.

By the way, dont bother emailing them to get a local's rate, as we tried a few days before we chose to go to Palm Cove, as apparently they dont answer emails as there are a lot of scam emails out there and they just delete them.

19  Thank Yulara336
Reviewed 7 February 2012

The Sea Temple is perfect for families. Our family consists of two adults and two teenage boys, and the two bedroom unit was perfect for us. Two big bedrooms, large living room area, full kitchen, washer and drier, two large bathrooms, and an enormous deck overlooking the pool. Short walk to the beach, and surrounding restaurants/shops/pier. Great location!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank domingofan_12
Reviewed 7 February 2012

This is a beautiful resort and I'm not so jaded that I don't appreciate a nice hotel when I stay in one but I am comparing it to the hotel I had just come from so I guess that coloured my opinion.

The resort is stunning, the pools are lovely and our room had a fabulous big balcony and all the amenities (except no coffee plunger and coffee). It's on the beach and a short walk from cafes and restaurants so the location is great.

Room was gorgeous but it's a big open spaced building so you get a lot of noise from people coming and going and from the pool. Breakfast was fairly ordinary for a buffet - let's face it though most of them are - we ate once and then went to great cafe with good coffee on the corner of the main strip the next day.

This is an impressive place and all the elements are there but given what their rack rate is it wasn't fabulous which is what I would expect. The service was professional and courteous but not necessarily warm.
Upon checkout I was asked if there was anything they could do to make it better ( I wasn't complaining or anything they just asked) and I mentioned a plunger and fresh coffee in the room would be nice. The front desk person then informed me that they had plungers in the apartments not the hotel rooms but not coffee... ummm that's great but you just asked what could be improved...

Gorgeous hotel but I probably wouldn't stay here again. I am the super bargain hunter online so I got a good deal but I would have felt a bit disappointed at the full rate methinks.

Look it's stunning, it's luxury so me no complain, it just wasn't as fabulous as I'd hoped for what you are paying.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Kewarra Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Kewarra Beach
22 mi away
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas

Been to Pullman Palm Cove Sea Temple Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!