“Fabulous family location in the perfect spot!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mantra Amphora

Mantra Amphora
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Palm Cove
Adelaide, South Australia
“Fabulous family location in the perfect spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

Stayed for 5 nights recently in a 2 bedroom apartment with my wife and 2 small children. This was a perfect family location. Lots of similar families with young children were staying there. The apartment was huge and interconnected to a hotel room as the second bedroom. Massive bathrooms and a spa in one of the rooms made it a dream to all shower/bath/toilet and relax. A tremendous and well appointed kitchen was perfect for a family and the washer/dryer means that half the clothes we brought were only needed. Large living area and bedrooms were also enjoyable and gave us plenty of space to live and entertain visitors. Outdoor setting was great for sitting/eating outside if desired. The lagoon style pool just outside the door was well used and brilliant for children of all ages including our 8 month old baby. Many oustanding restaurants surround this hotel in an ideal area. The beach is literally across the road and beautiful. Grocery shopping is a limited but within walking distance necessary to stock the apartment with essentials. Palm Cove is a pleasant location with plenty to do or just relax and enjoy this beautiful part of the world.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom a dream with so much space and so spread out. 1 bedroom may be sufficient. Some apartments...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Rob-Danielle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

We stayed at Mantra Amphora in October 2011 and were very happy with the facilities, location etc.

We had a great 2 bedroom apartment as well as an adjoining apartment which was rented by my parents and the two rooms were interconnecting.

Room standards were very good, kitchen (as in most places like that) had a few little faults, like hotplates that didn't work properly, but nothing to gripe about..

Also, the carpet either needed replacing or a bit of maintenance done as both my daughter and I got nasty scratches from the carpet staples that were sticking out on the stairs.! I meant to tell reception, but forgot - but could be nasty if you caught your foot the wrong way..

Location is excellent, and we were lucky enough to get an apartment looking out onto the street & beach passing by... Was very quiet in rooms though, hardly heard any noise from outside. It is right in the middle of many restaurants.

Balcony was lovely to sit on and eat dinner/breakfast, although afternoons could get quite windy.

Now onto the pool... We went outside of school holidays, and think this was a great idea because there was nearly always plenty of deck chairs and space in and around the pool. Pool itself was quite large and kids enjoyed it immensely.

On our 3rd day in Palm Cove, we decided to have a "sit by the pool" day as we had spent the last 2 days doing touristy things everywhere... We were at the pool by about 10:30 along with some other kids & families, and not long afterwards, my 9 year old daughter said to me "Mum, there's poo in the pool!" I was hoping she was joking and ignored for a bit until she insisted... So, with poo-vision goggles, I delicately placed as little of my face as possible in the water to get a better look, and low and behold, some kid has left tiny little nuggets all over the bottom of the pool. We told our kids to hop out and I went round to inform reception.

I told the receptionist, (I might note at this point it was definitely NOT our kids who dropped the little presents...they are a little too old for that!) and she said she would send around the maintenance man.

He came out a few minutes later with a pooper-scooper, I told my daughter to tell him where it was, he scooped one bit out, without a single word or acknowledgement, he just took off again. Problem was, this was an entire Happy Meal, not just a single nugget. I thought maybe he would be back, but after about another 5 minutes it was obvious he wasn't coming, so I went back around to reception and told her there was still more... Anyway, we hung around for a bit but the maintenance guy didn't come back, and I didn't want to be the official poo patrol anyway, so we took off for an early lunch and thought hopefully they will fix it and we will come back late in the afternoon...

So we arrived back about 4pm, hoping they'd cleared it up and chucked in some chlorine, but it only took a quick look and we could see that there was still nuggets hovering on the bottom everywhere, except now, some of the unsuspecting pool guests had stepped in it and smeared it all across the bottom!

This time we rang reception from poolside who contacted the manager who shut down the pool. Thing is, if they had have dealt with it properly at 10:30am in the morning, it wouldn't have been as disgusting as it now was. I was kind of amazed that management could have let it go so long without doing anything, I realise shutting down a resort pool is pretty drastic action, but poo in the pool IS pretty drastic and my feeling was that they just hoped it would go away..

As they say, s**t happens, kids will be kids and drop the odd chokito in the pool, but I think management could have definitely dealt with it better.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank trinay
Graham-Oliver, General Manager at Mantra Amphora, responded to this review, 3 December 2011
I remember this day clearly. I think it will be etched in my mind forever. Along with the endless supply of little 'nuggets'.
I do believe that this is two or more incidents you are describing.
We were actually called several times to the pool on that day and unfortunately in the end had to 'close it down' as it was becoming out of hand. It was indeed scooped, vacuumed and additional chemicals added to it after each removal. By the time the afternoon came we had no choice. The offender was obviously still at large and continuing the waste disposal in the pool. We had to shut it down and have an outside company come and test the water to ensure it's safety.

It's the first time I have had to close the pool. I am sure none of our guests were very happy at all - trust me, none of the staff cleaning it up were happy either!

I'm sorry this happened on a day that you had planned to spend by our normally gorgeous swimming pool. It was a unfortunate incident for everyone.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

My husband and I travelled to palm Cove for a much needed break in Nov 2011. We chose the Mantara Amphora Report for its location and recommendations from this site and other sites.

We were not disappointed, the room we booked was the 1 bedroom Pool View (we also had slight ocean views- which was just magical) we could hear the sound of the waves from the beach too! The room was very large and modern, it looked and felt brand new. With a well equipped full size kitchen, large glass shower plus jacuzzi bath with jets, fully air conditioned in all areas, comfy bed and lounges nicely clean and well maintained.

The large resort pool down stairs from our room was very welcoming and was very clean. Teh resport is centrally located and a short walk from the restaurants and main shopping village of Palm Cove.

I have recommended to several friends wanting to get away somewhere special and relaxing and we will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for the Pool room. (We had room 535)
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay.
Our staff and myself included are over the moon reading your review.
Housekeeping, maintenance, pool cleaners, gardeners - it's really great to know when we are doing a good job.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Leongatha, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

We have just spent 1 month at the Amphora and had a fabulous time. The staff were always helpful and maintinence on the room was excellent.We had a 1 bedroom apt spacious and clean .Furniture basic.Kitchen equipment is basic as in all Mantra's. Airconditioning good. Our ground floor Apt looked onto the stunning lagoon pool and sea views" very spoilt." The Lagoon pool was warm and cleaned every morning plenty of sun lounges ,tables and chairs surrounded by stunning gardens.This pool would be a little cold in June.July.Situated across from the beach and many Restaurant.Negitives and I am being over critical. Fridge too small and the bed could be replace.They have these bedspreads as bed covers not good ,easy, just ask for a blanket.We will definately stay there again. Thanks Mantra Amphora.

Room Tip: Room 5th wing
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Graham-Oliver, General Manager at Mantra Amphora, responded to this review, 19 November 2011
Thank you for the great review.

I am so pleased that you had such a great time and enjoyed the resort. Our pool does cool down during the winter months (the only heating it receives is from the sun) however, we do still have guests throughout the whole winter months in swimming costumes sunbaking and swimming. The winter months are also great at the beach (directly opposite the resort) as it is our 'low' stinger season.

Mattress toppers are on their way to rectify the bed issue. Fridges are a standard size. Exactly correct, if you don't like the quilt you can request a blanket. We always want to know of any issues that you may be experiencing whilst staying with us. Most matters we can rectify immediately for you.

Make sure you call us when next coming back to visit so we can ensure to extend a warm welcome back.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

Very enjoyable place. Just stayed there with 6 month old & everything about the place was great. Very family friendly.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Buzzybuzzbo
Thank you for such a lovely review.

We do love looking after our families and our honeymooners, and of course business people, weekenders, couples, retiree's, locals, anyone who is just looking for a nice relaxing break.

Please let us know when you are next returning so that we can make sure you receive a very warm welcome back.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

We have had a great trip to Palm Cove staying at Mantra Amphora and would definitely recommend it as a destination! We wanted a resort where we could laze by the pool and relax, but also have a good variety of options to eat out for all our meals. The pool at Amphora is the perfect kids pool / relaxing pool. I researched as thoroughly as I could the pools and this one has been perfect for our 19 month old daughter. Always warm (I think that's natural heating though) and full of shallow areas with levels the place has many families with young children having a great time. The furnishings in our 2bdrm appartment are very good, with big TVs (not that you travel to watch tv, but giggle and hoot must be screened or else!!) and great facilities. If you are looking for a pool based holiday then I would happily recommend mantra amphora, a great pool and family atmosphere.
I don't know about you but when I read reviews I always wonder about the reviewer. We have travelled extensively in north Qld, but mainly to different whittsundays islands, daydream, Hartman, Hamilton, always for a week or more.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Adrianpp
Thanks for the great review. We love to hear from you - even it's bad sometimes. We really feel that we are learning and growing from strength to strength and it's greatly attributed to our wonderful guests letting us know of their experiences.

Make sure you contact us directly next time you are coming to visit. We would like to make sure that we give you a warm welcome back for your next stay.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

My husband and I statyed 5 nights at the Mantra Amphora, Palm Cove. This was our first holiday together since our honeymoon over a year ago.

Initially we were given a room on the ground floor between the carpark and very close to the pool. There was very little privacy; the living rooms have sheer curtains only. The living room also smelt damp.

Just after we checked in, we requested a different room which Reception were not able to help with. After one night, we spoke to a different staff member the next morning who very kindly re-allocated us to a first floor apartment which suited us better. Being elevated gave a sense of a bit more privacy and no smell of damp.

The Mantra Amphora certainly has a lovely pool, beautiful gardens and very tastefully appointed rooms. It is in an excellent location too. The kitchen in the apartment was also very useful. However this resort doesn't deliver on the basic necessities such as a reasonably comfortable bed.

After 5 nights at the Mantra Amphora we returned home to Sydney more exhausted than when we left. The beds in both rooms were rock hard; I could feel the tension knots forming in my back and shoulders. Both my husband and I had to use Voltaren and Nurofen. The only sleep we got was for a couple of hours each night on the couch in the living room; we took turns sleeping on the couch.

I would definitely like to visit Palm Cove again as I don't believe I was able to fully enjoy the area due to being so exhausted each day. I will not return to the Mantra Amphora and will not choose Mantra hotels or resorts for furture accommodation needs.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Rebecca B
Graham-Oliver, General Manager at Mantra Amphora, responded to this review, 12 November 2011
Thank you for your review.

I' m glad to hear that we were able to room move you to something that you liked better. Sometimes, because of occupancy levels this is not always possible. You would have to remember that our housekeeping department would also need to clean the room prior to moving you. We will always try our best to assist your needs.

I agree with you, the pool is a winner for everyone. Who can resist sitting next to crystal clear blue water, surrounded by palm trees, ocean and mountains. There is plenty of space around our large lagoon pool for everyone.

Our beds have been a bit of an issue in the past. The same as the television sets were (now rectified). We have egg foam mattress toppers available. We only have a handful of mattress toppers at the moment but we are expecting them to start rolling in any day now. By the end of the year this will no longer be an issue at all. For guests who like the hardness of the beds and find the mattress too soft, we can simply remove the topper. We are very excited to be able to cater more specifically to our guest needs. If only you had just made a quick call to reception we could have rectified this matter for you. We can't fix a problem if we don't know about it.