“Relaxing stay”
Review of Alassio Palm Cove

Alassio Palm Cove
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed in Palm Cove in a two bedroom apartment with friends at the end of a touring holiday, and it made a perfect end to our holiday. Apartments are spacious and clean, and ours was ground floor so had a terrace with Jacuzzi and direct access to a palm fringed swimming pool at the rear. Kitchen is fairly basic, but you won't be short of great places to eat. Beach a few metres away, but Nov-Match you cannot swim in the sea due to box jellyfish-even the netted area is restricted by the lifeguards, so a nice swimming pool is essential. Would suit families or couples.
Really enjoyed Palm Cove- much smaller than Cairns or port Douglas and thoroughly relaxing.

Room Tip: Rooms face to sea or garden/ pool at rear. The rear is quieter- we had a lovely ground floor apartme...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Alassio Palm Cove

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Sue and Daryl made us feel very welcome.
Sue went out of her way to arrange transfers for us
A nice spacious room with a hot tub on the balcony
Close proximity to local bars and restaurants ,Discount at Après
Palm Cove Surf Club has bottle shop and dining facilities if you become a member
Regular bus service into Cairns
Recommend a trip to Karunda by cable car and train

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Alassio was a perfect spot for our introduction to TNQ. It's located at the start of the main strip, literally ten steps from the water's edge and in.our case, the stinger nets. It was incredibly quiet. We didn't see a single other guest the whole time we were there. We stayed in the beach front room which is on top of a cafe so laying on the balcony is probably not an option plus the noise factor. Our room didn't come with a balcony spa , which I thought all rooms had so check before you book. The room lay out is a bit weird, you walk directly into the bathroom from the corridor, with the shower over a spa. The bed is two suck together which seems to be the way these days. The pool was lovely and we were the only ones to use it while we were there. There appears to be a swim up bar but we never saw it open. The bbq area was great if you want to self cater, Coles is a 5 minute drive away. The biggest plus was the host, he was taking over for the regular owners and was full of information and knew our names from the start. Nice touch.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katiec8805
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I returned refreshed from a lovely stay (5 nights in a beachside studio apartment). These apartments are ideally located at the northern end of Palm Cove. The view from my balcony of the Coral Sea was mesmerising and a very luxurious spa bath was an added bonus. I had no need to hire a car and enjoyed walking along the beach and some sea kayaking. There are a variety of places to eat or purchase provisions if you want to self cater. Great coffee and shopping are also close by.
Sue and Daryll are wonderfully warm hosts and provided whatever information and tips I needed. I particularly appreciated their kindness in allowing me a late checkout given the time of my evening flight.

Room Tip: If you can, I suggest you only need to pack light for Palm Cove - carrying surplus baggage is never...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ChrisMCX
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Like the previous review by Sttrtttttttytt, my partner & I arrived at Alassio early, at about 9:30am. Although we understood that check in time was earlier, we thought we would give it a try & find out when our room would be ready. I was told that the guests just vacated our room & that it was being cleaned. We were not allowed to park our car in the car park (due to security rules) but we would be called when the room was ready. We went for breakfast, walked around & then went back at 12 noon to check again (2 1/2 HOURS LATER). It still wasn't ready. Really, how long does it take to clean a small hotel room? At 1pm, after 3 1/2 hours we got the call & were able to go to our room.

We found our room was on the top floor and from the parking lot it was 3 long flights of stairs with our luggage. We requested assistance with our bags, but none was available. So, we dragged the bags up all of the stairs.

The room was average & could use updating. But, I have to admit that the location was great - right across from the beach & close restaurants & bars.

The cleanliness of the place less than perfect. A dirty diaper was left on the hallway floor for over a day.

We didn't realize that toilet paper & soap were not provided except what was in a "welcome pack". There was about 1/4 roll on the roller in the bathroom & another roll. When I called up to request another roll, I was told that they wouldn't supply one to us because the expectation is that we provide our own.

I think there are far better places to stay in Palm Cove, particularly the Sanctuary, which I would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank curlyoz
139Alassio, Manager at Alassio Palm Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

We remind Curlyoz that accommodation providers have specified check-in and check-out policies for a reason and in between these times they manage their resources to ensure all guest arrivals on the day are able to check-in uninterrupted and on time at the nominated policy check-in time. Alassio check-in policy is clearly stated and regardless with whom you booked you should have been aware of this policy.
Early arrivals particularly during high season are simply not guaranteed for this reason and the only way we are able to guarantee guests an early check-in during high season is for the room to be pre-booked the extra night before. Understandably majority of guests are simply not prepared to do and are happy to wait.
We do confirm you were allowed access into your one bedroom self-catering apartment over 1 hour before actual check-in time which unfortunately was unsatisfactory and not appreciated regardless of the efforts behind the scenes.
In relation to your comments about the cleanliness of the resort and allegation of a dirty diaper being left in the hallway for over a day. We are not sure of your intent for making these claims and labelling the cleanliness of the property was less than perfect, especially given this was an isolated incident undertaken by a guest and was quickly dealt with. Yes we confirm a diaper (enclosed in sealed bag) was observed and reported by staff late morning as having been left outside the door of an apartment by guests on the same floor which you stayed, however management immediately contacted the guests staying in the apartment to remove the diaper and instructing the guests of the correct location for disposal of rubbish. A subsequent walk-by was made by management several hours later to ensure the diaper was removed.
As for the toilet paper incident I confirm at no stage in the 4 years we have managed the resort have we ever refused to provide a guest(s) with supply of additional toilet roll. When you rang us after hours on the Saturday afternoon a mere 24 hours after you arrived as advised management was currently off site and simply were unable to provide you with toilet paper at that time regardless. You were also advised about the initial supply of two rolls (equivalent to 1 roll per person) is supplied in the welcome pack and any additional supplies are at guest responsibility.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed at alassio for a week. This is my fourth visit to palm cove having stayed previously at Mantra, Peppers, and the Novotel. We arrived early at 10am. Their check-in policy was explained that our room wouldn't be ready by 2pm. We asked if we could use car park/facilities beforehand as we have 3 children under 10, and were told that we couldn't use anything til we had the key at 2pm. I've been in this situation before and every other establishment had always happily accommodated us by letting us park and use their facilities such as the pool beforehand before we have checked in. When I went back early to see if our room was ready, it was explained to me that the room was still not ready, so I asked them if "I could just have a look around where I was going to be staying or if I could look at an apartment?" I was told that they were "FULL!" so was not able to look at an apartment, but I could have a look at the pool. When I went to have a look, as soon as I stepped inside the premises I was accosted by the other manager who asked what I was doing? "I explained I was staying there and was just having a look around?" He then told me that "no I wasn't staying there and to go back to reception!" I then had to explain that I was just early and hadn't checked in yet, which I thought was received very suspiciously. Look, I get it that he was just being security conscious, but I would definitely have to say this wasn't a great welcome to the start of the holidays..... But on top of this, I happened to look up their website plus wotif, and to my surprise I found they had accomodation still available so I don't really get why I couldn't see an apartment when I asked? That, and the fact that when I could actually park in their car park, the car park was virtually empty, and in the whole time I stayed there I never ever saw the car park full!
Again we needed a late checkout on our last day. My wife had previously told them our predicament with a late flight and was told that something could probably be "worked out". Once again I was told they were full and nothing could be done, again I checked the website and wotif and their was availability. All I needed was access to a toilet and bathroom so any room would have been ok.... So instead we checked out and moved to the Novotel for the day, and they were all too happy to help us out for the day at a reasonable fee.
The washing machine at alassio costs a pricey $3 and drying costs $3 as well, do $6 a load, compared to $1 at the Novotel.
One positive thing I can say, is when the kids managed to lock us out of our apartment, the manager was prompt in responding to re opening the door.
All things considered, I would say that I would stay at all the other places I've stayed in palm cove before I would stay at alassio again....

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Wongster007
139Alassio, Manager at Alassio Palm Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Naturally we are disappointed by the claims of Wonger007 and therefore would like to address some of the points raised by the reviewer.
At the time of your arrival around 10.00 am on 2nd October 2013 your wife was politely advised by reception the apartment was still occupied and guests will be leaving shortly. The apartment was then scheduled for immediate cleaning post departure of previous guests who were entitled to stay in the apartment until check-out at around 10.00am same day. We confirm at the time of the booking your wife had advised you were arriving to Cairns on early flight however it was also pointed out that under no circumstances can we guarantee an early check-in especially during a peak period and the apartment you were staying in was pre-booked as per the current situation.
In relation to the car park situation your wife was informed we had a secure underground car park and that access to the car park was via your room key which would be handed over at time of check-in.
At this stage you were already parked directly opposite the resort so we are not sure why this matter has become an issue? At no stage was there any request from you or your wife to use the resort facilities such as the pool etc whilst waiting for your apartment and this would not have been an issue. Our reception had advised your wife she would call her on her mobile immediately when the apartment was ready and your wife left assuming she would wait for our call asap.
Around midday you entered Alassio reception office to verify if the apartment was ready which at this stage it was not quite ready as advised by the receptionist with who was regularly liaising with housekeeping. It was clear that you were agitated the apartment was not quite ready and requested to see an apartment which you were informed all the other 2 bedroom apartments were currently occupied contrary to your claim about availability on Wotif. Our receptionist welcomed you to enter the resort grounds to appease your need to inspect the facilities of the resort. Looking lost as entering the pool garden area when questioned by the manager (myself) about” are you right sir – can I help you” you then advised you were waiting to check-in. I then asked had you spoken with reception which you replied yes. I then proceeded to say you look a little lost like you may have been looking for a toilet? At no stage was Wonger007 requested to return back to reception as result and after confirming with the receptionist no comments were made by Wonger007 other than I will see you shortly as he left the resort as he left reception.
In regards to Wonger007 request for a late check-out unfortunately for Wonger007 the 2 bed apartment was pre-booked by returning guests which was explained to him. Unfortunately Wonger007 has chosen to travel in a busy school holiday period whereby accommodation demand is much greater and sometimes we simply cannot meet all requests. Whilst we were willing to provide Wonger007 and his family access to use the resort facilities for the day unfortunately they simply chose to leave the resort in same disgruntled manner as they arrived. It is unfortunate Wonger007 has decided to air his grievance and provide ratings not on a factual basis on Tripadvisor simply as a result of poor planning when travelling with children. However at least we are reserved the right to provide an accurate response to such negative ratings Whilst the resort management and staff are very focussed on making sure all our guests enjoy their stay, sadly we have learn't there are some people we simply cannot please regardless.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Great location right on beginning of Palm Cove strip. Nice view across to Double Island, the beach and the jetty.
We spent 5 nights here in a 2 bedroom apartment (with Spa on balcony and in 2nd bedroom) overlooking the pool with beach glimpses. All facilities we needed on our doorstep, good coffee shop/bar, restaurants etc. Pool was good for the kids.
Palm Cove is a beautiful beach resort very close to Cairns and Port Douglas, we love Noosa and the Sunshine Coast and this gives it a run for it's money. Water was warm and colours were amazing and great beach. Great time of year as no stingers, but nets in place. Lots of good restaurants and cafes open all day.

Room Tip: Ocean view if available. None avail when we booked.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family