“Clean and modern yes, but not the best service”
Review of Elysium Apartments

Elysium Apartments
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I am an avid traveller and love to stay in higher end properies if possible - simply because i value great service and a quality stay. We booked a 2 bedroom unit for 7 days even though there were 2 of us and a baby (we liked to have the space for her to move around), but i have to say, in our 6 weeks of travelling thorugh AUS and NZ, this was the least relaxing hotel/apartment we stayed out which was such a shame because Palm Cove was such a beautiful and relaxing town.

The caretaker Jocelyn was ok, although simply not very accessible. For a hotel, the office hours are limited to business hours of 8 or so to about 4.30 or 5pm. You had to call their cell if you needed anything after those hours. The phone in the unit did not connect to anything after hours so we had to essentially pay to make to call (being visitors form another country that meant getting a calling card or use the payphone). There was no free wifi in the unit - had to pay for that as well. The units were not serviced at all during our entire stay, i expected at least one refresher. The sign about leaving the unit clean and tidy or else face extra charges really should be taken down - that is not great customer service by any means and that made me so uncomfortable to do anything. I found myself cleaning like i was at home and that was simply not ideal - again, such a shame for such a nice property. The place was pretty empty when we stayed and we had the pool to ourselves - the pool was a saltwater pool and very nice and clean. We enjoyed that.

The 2 bedroom unit was clean and spacious and the beds were comfortable. TV was good with a lot of channels to watch and the a/c worked amzingly well especially since it was so hot.

I did have a not-so-good experience - we had booked an airport pick up through the hotel but missed our flight. When we caled at 5.30am to let management know, there was no answer and no way to leave voicemail (the phone system is a bit erratic) - we sent an email right after as well. We called later to rebook the pick up with no incident until we arrived and she stated we would be charged for the missed pick up because she did not get the cancellation on time. We did not accept the charge but she then charged or credit card the day we checked out.

There are many nice properties to choose from especially when not busy. I would not stay again simply because of the experience - the property itself is nice (individual units are owned by diferent people)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank TTToronto
Jocelyn49, Manager at Elysium Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Thank you TTToronto for your review. Was very glad to hear you loved your apartment and pool and found them to be very clean as these 2 items would have to be the main reasons why people choose different properties to stay at.

Firstly I would like to point out to future guests reading this review that we are not a Hotel as TTToronto has said (of which normally has 24hr reception) we are Self Containing apartments with on-site management (2 people), due to this fact our hours are normal business hours, however we are on call 24hrs a day through our phone system, when we close our phone system at night (which is normally around 10.30pm) if someone calls it goes to a voice that tells you to call our mobile phone number supplied, if you do not do this then the call goes to a answer machine for you to leave a message (at any time of the night we can hear this answer machine as we live on-site), TTTToronto did not call our mobile phone or leave a message the morning she missed her flight, she herself told us that the airline had called for her and that they said we weren't there, this is totally an untruth if they had called the mobile or left a message this problem would not have occured, TTToronto had been sent an Booking confirmation form when she first booked and on that form it did say our business hours. Yes TTToronto did send an email at 6.10am but as we don't open until 8am we did not get the message until then, the airport transfer pick-up we had organised was for 8.10am, so by the time we got the email the driver was already there waiting for the flight to arrive, hence why we could not cancel the transfer, we were told by the driver he would be charging the Transfer cost of $40 as he was already out there (and rightly so) when TTToronto checked in the next morning I explained that she would have to pay the previous days tranfer as it was not cancelled in time and she refused to pay, I explained about our phone system to her but she argued with me that she was not paying, as I did not want to argue with TTToronto I let her into her apartment, the reason why the charge was put on her credit card after she left was because they left at 4.30am the day of departure and that was way before the reception opened.

Would like to let TTToronto know that there is no such thing as FREE WiFi as the price of it is always costed into the cost of the room (whether you use it or not) the way we do it is that if you use it you pay if you don't use it you don't pay, a much more cost effective way for our guests (why pay for something you don't use)

The reason why we have followed a lot of other holiday Self Catering Apartments around the world by putting up a sign that reads " Please leave apartment tidy with all rubbish removed and dishes clean to avoid an extra cleaning charge" is very simple if guests leave food on dishes, food on the floor and rubbish with food left in bins (and this was happening a lot before we put the signs up) and the apartment does not get cleaned the same day (which is impossible in a lot of cases) then the apartment will smell, we do not want this to happen, hence why TTToronto says in her review that the apartment was very clean and comfortable, I might add that in the 3 1/2 years we have been here TTToronto is ONLY the 2nd guest that has mentioned this sign.

When TTToronto checked in she was given a Arrivals registration Form to read, on this form it does mention that the apartments are Self Catering, if your stay is 8 days or longer you will receive a mid service, linen changed etc, it also says on this form "We can also service your apartment on a daily basis if required for an additional charge" TTToronto did not ask us to do this.

There are newer reviews for Elysium Apartments

Reviewed 20 March 2012

I travel quite a bit and was VERY happy with the service at Elysium Apartments!
I told my hubby when I came home it was the cleanest place I have ever stayed in.
Managment were very friendly and helpful! I LOVED the location. Walking distance to the beautiful Palm Cove, but not right in the middle, allowing for a quiet and relaxing time.
I stayed in a 'studio apartment' and I never heard a single sound from the road or Tavern nextdoor. It actually poured rain on my last night there and I never heard it!! Very quiet!
I was in Cairns for a mixture of business and leisure and can say that Elysium suits both very well! I felt extremely safe and comfortable and would HIGHLY recommend to anyone!
I will be returning and bringing the family for sure!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Jocelyn49, Manager at Elysium Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Thanks Tahnee A McKay for your review.

We are pleased to hear that you loved your stay in the Studio Apartment and felt safe and extremely comfortable. Thanks for your kind words about management as we try our hardest to make sure our guests are happy and wish to return in the future and we would love to meet the rest of your family when you return.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

I found Elysium Apartments on TripAdvisor and loved the amount of positive reviews. I emailed Joselyn and received lots of great advice and a fabulous rate. The website was useful, especially the video. I stayed for 2 nights by myself and felt safe, good security, within very close walking distance to cafes, restaurants and the beach. I have already raved to family, friends and Tourism Queensland about my fantastic time in Palm Cove staying at Elysium Apartments. I'll be back for more.

Room Tip: They are all well equiped and private. Apartment 317 was fabulous!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Thank you Nic29_12 Melbourne for your review, it was great to meet you and have a chat, we are glad to hear you found our website and video very helpful, thanks for recommending your friends, family and colleague's to stay with us and we hope we get to meet them all in the near future.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

My new husband and i decided to book two nights at this 'Boutique' apartments after reading the review on trip advisor but were dissapointed from the moment we arrrived.
We booked the studio apartmentt which is pretty much just a box! when i booked it on quikbeds.com it stated the room was 55square metres....its not!!!!

Before arriving i called to see if we could check in any earlier but was told that we couldnt as they needed to clean the room...we arrived at 2pm on the dot and was greated by the owner holding a new born. Aparently she had been babysitting on the day so the whole time we were going through the check in process she was holding a crying baby...not that bad but not a very proffessional look.

when we arrived to the room we were very dissapointed! The apartments are supposed be 'boutique' apartments but i can tell you theer was nothing boutique about it! It was very small and very simple!!! The balcony over looked a dirty pub driveway and there were no power points in the room?! The pool is dissapointing aswell.

We have had many good stay in North Queensland paying alot less than we payed at Elysium but this had to be the worst by far.

We wanted to conect to the internet, called rreception and was told to pick up the cable at Reception. when we brought it back to the room it wasnt long enough so my husband called to let them know and was told 'well the last people in the room were bale to use it' after some explaining to her she brought up two broken cords which only worked when you didnt move the computer.

To top things off there was a sign over the sink that read: Please leave apartment tidy and ensure dishes are clean and rubbish is taken to prevent additional cleaning charges.
I thought this was very rude considering we couldnt check in early because the room was bring cleaned (even the hotel was empty!) and also because they dont service the room at all or give clean towels durng your stay.

Also the room was next to the tavern so the noise at night makes it very hard to sleep. On the second night the airconditioner failed to work all night! i am not exactly sure wht happend but it only started working in the morning.

We found the caretaker to be blunt and rude and would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shiiiiindy
Jocelyn49, Manager at Elysium Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Thank you shiiiiindy Perth for your review. We are disapointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay. Firstly unfortunately we do not have any control about what Agents say on their website when they describe our property when you are making a booking through them,
When you phoned, the apartment was being cleaned as it had been used the night before, (we only have 2 studio apts and they are very popular for short stay's) as our daughter was sick that day, yes we were babysitting and yes I did have our 6wk old grandson in my arms when you arrived, but my husband Roger took him from my arms as soon as I started to check you in.
You never mentioned in your review that I did ask you if you were sure you wanted the Studio Apt as it was as small as a hotel room, and the 1 bedroom apartment was much bigger, but you both said that the Studio was OK. (future guests who are reading this review probably need to read the One Word ......Amazing review 3rd March to judge for yourself on what the Studio is truely like)

You also forgot the mention that your husband phoned after you checked into your apartment to ask whether you could have a Studio Apartment with a beach view and I very nicely explained that we are positioned 200 metres from the beach so none of our apartments have a beach view, however if you liked I could up grade you to a 2 bedroom apartment with a lovely mountain view and your husband said NO!!!

Its amazing that you say there are no power points in the apartment there are 2 behind the bedside table, 2 beside the TV, 2 beside the microwave and 2 in the bathroom.

Can't explain why you weren't happy with the pool as it is very private, has 2 spas, 4 lounge's, 2 tables 8 chairs, and 3 big potted golden cane palms, so it isn't a small area by any means and is cleaned every day by my huband Roger who has been complimented nearly everytime a guest stays.

Yes we do have a sign saying "Please leave apartment tidy and ensure dishes are clean and rubbish is removed to prevent additional cleaning charges" as does a huge lot of hotels we have stayed in ourselves around Australia and the World.

The reason the apartments are not serviced daily is because they are self contained and should of been stated as such on the agent website you booked on, of which I have said we do not have any control of. As you were staying only 2 nights you could of asked us to service the apartment for a small charge.

The apartment you were in is directly above the managers bedroom, we have lived there for nearly 4 years now and we don't hear any noise from the Tavern next door and we sleep with our door open.

Air Conditioner, it is very silent and cuts in and out when the room has reached its temperature, but cant just work and not work and then work and it was working after you left, You also did not mention this when you left.

Internet Cable, when your husband called me I explained that the previous guests had used that same cord, but your husband explained that the connection on your laptop was on the other side so it wouldn't reach, I then apoligised and came straight up with 2 other cords of which were not broken.

We are very disapopinted to hear that you found us blunt and rude, as we are always very courteous, friendly, and treat everyone the way we wish to be treated ourselves and previous reviewers/guests have stated in their reviews that is the way they have always found us to be.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

We have stayed at the Elysium on a number of occasions. We have stayed in the studio apt twice. Beautiful and modern and immaculately clean. While the studio overlooks the tavern next door. It is very quiet and peaceful, which is a far cry from the nightly activity noise along the beach front.
Jocelyn and Roger are brilliant hosts and helped make our Nth QLD holiday truly memorable.
Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Palm Cove.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Bnetclan
Jocelyn49, Manager at Elysium Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Thank You BnetClan for your review. We are very pleased to hear that on the many occassions you have stayed with us in the Studio Apartment which is ajacent to the Tavern next door that you have found it to be very quiet and peaceful, we also thank you for your comments about the apartment being beautiful and modern and immaculately clean.
It is great to hear that you wouldn't stay anywhere else in Palm Cove, and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

We stayed at the Elysium Apartments a couple of years ago and are now returning to Palm Cove so thought I would check their reviews. The majority of people who wrote these reviews must not have had the same apartment as us, as the main bedroom was extremely noisy from the tavern - not patrons but dumping of bottles, dumpmaster etc. Have found other reviews with similar problem so will look elsewhere. Apartments very clean and nice, however the noise did distract for us.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not on the Tavern side.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Jocelyn49, Manager at Elysium Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thanks Jrr55 Melbourne for your review, we are sorry to hear that you experienced any noise from the Tavern next door because of the dumping of bottles, dumpmaster etc. This is a very rear experience for our guests as we have not had any other guest mention Bottles being dumped or dumpmaster before in any review, in fact us Managers live on the same side of the Tavern & have only on 1 occasion in 3 1/2 years ever heard this ourselves before. We are sad to hear you say that you will stay elsewhere, and if you would like to stay with us again we will make sure we put you in an apartment on the other side of the building. We are pleased though to see you were happy with the apartment otherwise. Hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We have just returned from a stay at the Elysium Apartments in Palm Cove. The 2 bedroom apartment was very clean, with totally up dated appliances and bedding. My family was very comfortable, and my 3 children loved the pool. Our balcony was large and we overlooked a quiet street with beautiful views of the mountains. Roger and Jocelyn were so helpful with advice, bookings and making us feel at home at the Elysium. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment overlooking the quiet street.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Jocelyn49, Manager at Elysium Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2012

Thank you Maxas_12 New Jersey for your nice review.

It was great to have you stay with us and talk about your country etc. We are pleased to see you mention about our apartments being totally updated with appliances and bedding as we have just done a refurbishment even though the apartments are only 6 years old. We are glad to hear that you family loved the pool and that you also loved the apartment you were in. Thank you very much for saying you highly recommend our hotel, and we hope to see you sometime in the future.