“Not good value for money”
Review of Elysium Apartments

Elysium Apartments
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Palm Cove
Cairns, Australia
“Not good value for money”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We got a studio apartment for 2 nights last September.

PROS: nicely decorated, close walking distance to the beach, nice pool.

CONS: while the bathroom itself was huge, the rest of the studio apartment was fairly cramped. We had to pull out the desk that was facing the wall to use as a table to eat on. Serious mould in the shower--not on the walls, but at the bottom in places that you see only if you are sitting down in the shower. There was no way to "bask in the sun on your private balcony" (as their website says) because the balcony was completely closed off (i.e. NO SUN) and through the tiny slats we had a view of nothing but the roof. Very disappointing. Soulless, echoey hallway where noise was magnified. Grim lady on check in and on check out we were told we had to take out our own rubbish or we'd be charged for it. Thanks, nice parting words. Terrible unfriendly service, bad value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DiscoQueen54
Jocelyn49, Manager at Elysium Apartments, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank You Disco Queen 54 Cairns for your review. We are pleased to hear you found your Studio Apartment nicely decorated and that we had a nice pool, however we would like to point out to future guests a few misleading comments you have made.

Firstly we would like to point out that WE DO NOT advertise our Studio Apartments as " "bask in the sun on your private balcony" (as their website says) OUR WEBSITE says (when you click on the Apartments Tab and choose the Studio) "Private Balcony" there is sun in the morning on the studio balconies, the balcony IS NOT completely closed off it has a frosted glass balustrade of which you can see plenty of sky, trees over the top as it only stands 1 1/2 metres high, the only way you can see the roof next door is if you look through the balustrade opening half way up, so not offensive at all, in fact a LOT of guests like the balcony as it is very PRIVATE.

Secondly we would like to point out that our showers are very clean and the only LITTLE bit of mould we do get from time to time is because the water gets under the sealant around the bottom of the tiles and we cant lift it up to spray mould killer as that would break the seal and the shower would leak, we do have these sealants replaced when needed.

Thirdly we would like to point out that reason the hallway on the 1st level is echoey is because we have to have that level tiled due to the access to the pool being on the 1st level we cant have carpet for obvious reasons.

Fourthly we would like to point out that WE DO NOT have " Terrible unfriendly service" we greet everyone with a pleasant manner (we wouldn't have won all the TripAdvisor awards if we didnt) and THERE IS NO WAY you would of been told to take your rubbish out or you would be charged as you checked out this WOULD NOT have been parting words, yes we do have a small notice in the apartments asking guests to "please leave the apartment tidy with dishes done and rubbish removed" the reason MOST resorts do this is because if we dont get to strip the room the day of departure we don't want anything to make the apartment smell.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Nottingham
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The apartment was large, clean and very well equipped with everything we needed however it did overlook the tavern. Secure parking underneath. Short walk to the beach and restaurants. Friendly and helpful management.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Moofe
Jocelyn49, Manager at Elysium Apartments, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thanks you Moofe Nottingham for your review.

We are very pleased to hear that you found the apartment you stayed in large, clean and well equipped. Yes we do have apartments looking over the Tavern next door however in saying that you can still see a lot of trees and other resorts in the distance as you are looking over the roof which is level with the first floor, so for anyone staying on the 2nd & 3rd levels you are actually not looking at the roof you will see it if you look down over the balcony it is not intrusive even from the 1st level.

Thank you for your comment "Friendly and helpful management." as Resort Managers that is what we aim to do for all our guests.
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This was my 3rd visit to Elysium and nothing has changed - still great hospitality in a friendly environment under great management with our hosts Jocelyn and Roger.
My wife and I have now stayed in 4 establishments since arriving in Australia late January. Without doubt Elysium is superior! Our 6 week stay at Elysium was most enjoyable. No noise to talk of and the place is clean. Access is secure and simple - when we were wanting to take a walk to the beach we used the (first floor) side entrance / exit (same key as our apartment) which leads into a side street which slopes down to the esplanade - no need to use the car basement.
The apartment is well kitted out with modern appliances. We found the beds very comfortable. The birds in the trees were a wonderful cacophony of sound in the evenings.
One aspect which we really enjoyed was to frequent the local restaurants and bars (as close as a block away) and then to be able to retreat to the quiet of our apartment for a night cap!
Will we go back - you betchya!!

Room Tip: Hard to pick a room - we stayed in 214 this time and it had a view of the trees (?). Stayed in 316...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jocelyn49, Manager at Elysium Apartments, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you Peter & Amanda for your lovely review, its was a great having you stay with us and we hope you will stay again in the future.

Your review was great being so detailed as we are sure it will help prospective guests make up there minds where to stay in beautiful Palm Cove.
Toronto, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed 7nights. In comfort and style.

Firstly imagine, its Easter Saturday, and we had booked in somewhere else ( in Cairns) which turned out to be a dive. So after ringing around we went with Elysium Apartments. Why? Firstly because their page on the net looked promising, the lady on the phone was friendly and more than accommodating, and they had an apartment which would suit us.

So we popped over to Palm Cove for an inspection (not going to get caught twice). What a relief! Jocelyn met us, and took us through. We were happy to find that we could have it as a two or three bedroom unit so we decided to splurge on the 3, that way our two teens wouldn't have to share a room (although they could have, because the rooms were quite spacious). Our room was situated on the northern end of the second floor.

Our room overlooked beautiful green trees on the Northern side, on the east is the back of other apartments, but on the western side was the beautiful mountains surrounding the Cairns area... Lovely views, not beachside, but at the price we were paying, I wouldn't expect ocean views.

A small price for an Internet modem (so that the obligatory Wi-Fi could be accessed) while not included, was a reasonable rate. Also pool towels were available.

The rooms were spacious, air-conditioned, and clean. The master bed was a tad firm for us, but nothing to complain about. A large mirrored cupboard and a large master ensuite for us, and the kids had a separate bathroom.

The unit had everything you could ask for both in the kitchen and the laundry and I'm sure that if it wasn't there I could have asked for it and it would have been made available.

I read in another review that there was a bad smell. We did not have this experience, if anything the area smelled of clean air I.e. fresh ocean breezes.

When it comes to getting advice about things to do, Jocelyn had all the answers, she and her husband (who I didn't get to meet) go out doing all the tourist activities, so know where to go and what to do, especially where the reef is concerned. So if you want local knowledge go to reception and have a chat.

Being an ex-local myself I knew most of the places (and she was right about them all), but not which companies were best suited to my family, she helped us navigate those waters with ease (pun not originally intended).

...and talk about going the extra mile, we locked ourselves out one evening and we had to ring Jocelyn to come help us get back in, so the security is top knotch too.

Not only would be happy to recommend Elysium apartments, my family and I plan to stay there the next time we come to my hometown.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank happyjulieishere
Jocelyn49, Manager at Elysium Apartments, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you Happyjulieishere Toronto NSW for your lovely review, we were more than happy to help you out with your accommodation needs, nothing worse than staying somewhere you are not happy with.

We are pleased you found the 3 bedroom apartments very comfortable, spacious, great views etc and everything to your liking as that is very important to us.

We do hope you visit us in the near future, please phone direct and we will see what specials we can offer you.
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Have stayed there several times now and the place is amazing. Beautiful views, close to the shops and beach. The staff are fantastic. All this and more is why I go back all the time to relax with family on small trips away. The rooms are very spacious and enjoyable also.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carl E
Jocelyn49, Manager at Elysium Apartments, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you Carl E for your review.

It is always great to have you and your family stay with us and we thank you for your honest and helpful review, this will certainly help others thinking about accommodation in the Cairns/Palm Cove for their next holiday.

Hope to see you in the near future!!!
Sydney
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Firstly for the record. I contacted their office and asked for a last minute, discounted price, as we were travelling during a very quiet period (just after the kids returned to school, in the last week of January). I was offered $600 for 3 nights, or $750 for 6 nights, in a 2 bedroom suite (for my wife and 2 adult daughters). I accepted the 6 night price and paid for it immediately rather than pay the 25% deposit and pay the balance on arrival (ie. the next day).

We were given a 2 bedroom apartment on the third floor with views overlooking the local tavern (the tavern has an expansive, flat roof and situated just below us). Beyond the tavern roof are a bunch of other apartments and houses in the area. This view is very, very ordinary. Actually, that’s being polite … it was just ugly!

However, when I opened the balcony doors, I was hit by a wave of hideous smells. The smell was revolting and I promise you that I had a gag. Yes, it made me feel queasy. I then waited for my wife to open the balcony door and check it out for herself … I got the same response.
Also, we walked into our apartment from a hallway that didn’t seem to have any air circulation at all, into a nice apartment (with a horrible balcony view/smell). It just felt like we were confined to the apartment only. It wasn’t inviting at all (the apartment and the complex) and not what I was hoping for, especially for a holiday. Oh joy!

Now, remember I asked for a cheap price … and I guess I shouldn’t expect anything less, but we were given the less salubrious room available. (I was told that some of the unit owners, of the 20 unit block complex, are willing to reduce their prices to get people into them. The 20 units are privately owned and are managed by a husband-wife team). So, you get what you pay for … and we got the most disgusting outlook and smelling room that you can imagine!

So, I went to the manager and asked what the heck the smell was. She said that she couldn’t smell it but if there was a smell then it was probably the next door tavern cleaning their grease trap. Well, I reckon they were cleaning their sewer trap instead. It was disgusting.

I actually asked, for the first time in my 30 years of travelling, for the return of my money. I wanted to leave this ordinary place as it wasn’t anywhere close to what I was expecting. I have to say that for the first time ever, the TripAdvisor comments had led me astray. However, I was told that “it was impossible to get a refund” as I had already paid her the money (the day before). I couldn’t understand why it was “impossible” to refund my credit card, especially because the room was disgusting and we had only just walked in and out. And credit card refunds are actually possible; it’s just a button on the machine.

Anyway, it wasn’t to be and to her credit, she immediately moved us across the hallway into a similar sized 2 bedroom apartment. Thankfully she did this, because I would have just left the place and would have worked out a way to get my money back at a later date.

Now our new apartment (facing West) had a truly lovely view of the mountain. The apartment was very inviting and had all the things that you would require in an apartment. It was a shame that despite the entire complex being empty, save for one other apartment, that she initially gave us a room with a disgusting outlook and smell. If only she had placed us in the better room, we would not have been exposed to the horrible other side of the complex.

Oh, but as the second room had a king bed made up, she “had to charge” me $10 for her to split the bed into 2 single beds (for my 2 daughters). It was a charge for replacing clean king bedding with clean separate bedding, for 2 beds. Quality joint this!

Other comments. The pool is nice, but not inviting either. It is surrounded by 3 levels of concrete walls and windows. It does have a nice outlook to the west. It has 14 chairs for people to use. It would be too crowded if the complex was full. We joined another couple in the pool one day and it felt like we were intruding on their space. It is the size of a standard backyard pool. I can assure you that it is no resort pool, just a simple pool. Also, pack your own beach towel as you are not permitted to use the apartment’s towels in the pool area. BUT wait, you can rent another towel for pool/beach purposes.

Noise. The property is situated on a corner. Whilst I cannot comment on the noise from the tavern (right next door) there is definitely traffic noise from the 2 roads. Our apartment was in the middle of the property. The road below our apartment has a slight hill, where it meets a T-intersection. So as cars, bikes, trucks go up the hill, they need to drop into a lower gear to stop. Then as they turn right, to head away from Palm Cove, they accelerate hard. So yes, if you get the nice apartment facing west, the trade-off is traffic noise. Also, the drive-thru bottle shop exit, is on the third side of the complex and there are lots of cars, bikes, trucks leaving (making lots of noise) too. The noise is much softer if you close the balcony doors. (The noise only kept we awake for one night, as I got used to it).

FYI, if you picture the complex on the 4 sides. It has one side dedicated to the “beautiful” tavern. One side is the driveway exit to the tavern’s drive-thru bottle shop. One side is a road, leading down to the beach (eventually). And one side is a cross street, which is very busy.

Finally, there are many handy little tips on pieces of paper (from the management) located all throughout the complex to help you. Such as, do not open the window in the hallways (due to the tropical rain). Do not take glass etc to the pool; no visitors allowed; Don’t do this; blah blah. (Perhaps they don’t get many adults staying in the complex?). But the best one to laugh at (and take seriously) is the one that if you leave the apartment (after your holiday) and don’t clean the entire kitchen stuff OR take the bins out … then they will charge extra. Yes, you must leave the apartment spotless or you will be charged for it. We weren’t certain if we needed to launder the bedding as well? This was a first for us as we have never stayed at a property where they demanded you to clean the kitchen before departure. Oh, what a special place this is. I thought that when you stay at places for a fee, then this fee included the cleaning process … not here!
I think their cleaner might be getting a bit lazy and demanding … time to change cleaner?!?!?

So here are my tips:
1. If you book a room here, absolutely demand a room on the western side. If you get a room overlooking the tavern, you will NOT like it. It’s my promise. The outlook is rubbish.
2. If you book, only pay your deposit upfront. You are expected to pay the balance on arrival. So DO NOT pay your balance until you check your room offered. Sometimes it might be worth walking away from a 25% deposit!!
3. If you are an avid user of Tripadvisor (like me) perhaps be very careful of places that receive 5 star reports from the same people. I am pretty certain that at least one or more of their reviews are from the actual owners of the 20 units. Unit owners (or their friends) normally visit their property once a year … and guess what rating they would give on each visit?!
4. Before staying, read the negative reviews on Tripadvisor.
5. Perhaps, look to stay somewhere else, you will do better than this place.
6. If you stay here, bring along a beach towel. Or pay their fee.
7. If you want to stay near the beach, look at other places.

Finally, we decided to leave the place after 4 nights (despite paying for 6). Obviously I didn’t ask for a refund for the 2 nights as I was happy to burn it and move on. Actually there is a warning in the apartment about leaving early, as NO REFUND WILL BE GIVEN. Maybe this happens regularly? But, I still had to pay the $10 for swapping the bed linen though. But as she didn’t have change, I got away with only paying $5 for it. What a classy joint! And it’s funny, but I wouldn’t even pay that price to stay another night.

FYI, we headed to Port Douglas for a return visit to the Mandalay Resort. It cost a little more than this place and it is multiple times better! And gee it was a like chalk and cheese, so relaxing and inviting, unlike Elysium.

Footnote: The manager always has interesting responses to all of the negative comments/reviews on Tripadvisor. I cannot wait for her response(s) to my review.
Remember, we all don’t look through rose-coloured glasses. It is just my opinion and sorry if the truth offends.
Also, the 2 star rating was a unanimous decision by my family (of 4 adults).
It is a very rare "low" Tripadvisor rating from me.

I hope this long review helps with your decision.

Room Tip: Check the quality of your room BEFORE you pay in full. The outlook may be extremely disappointing to...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank LFLLFL
Jocelyn49, Manager at Elysium Apartments, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you mfhmfh Sydney for your review.

This is my response to the above review and please future guests realise that the award we have just received for 2014 and all the previous years has been awarded based on Travellers reviews.

TripAdvisor is proud to announce Elysium Apartments has won 2014 Travellers' Choice Awards and belongs to a very exclusive group. This Year, less than 1% of all accommodations listed on TripAdvisor received Traveller’s Choice Awards.
Adelaide
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is the 7th year we been at Elysium.... Beautiful accommodation, pool, views and great managers. Short stroll to the esplanade and lots of great places to eat and drink and boutique shop. Beach lovely and fringed with palm trees and melaleucas. Even saw a wallaby hopping round the garden.

Room Tip: Choose balcony facing the mountains... Room 211 best
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank croweater61
Jocelyn49, Manager at Elysium Apartments, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank You croweater61 Adelaide for your review. Yes this is your 7th year staying at Elysium Apartments and we are very pleased to welcome you back every year.

What you are written in your review about the accommodation, pool, views from the apartment you have recommended is very helpful for future guests and also about Palm Cove itself, we do advertise ourselves but the best recommendations come from guests who have stayed so thank you for that.

Hope we will see you in the 8th year when you visit.