“Better than average, but...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Apres Beach Bar & Grill
Ranked #12 of 58 Restaurants in Palm Cove
Price range: US$9 - US$24
Cuisines: Bar, Australian, Fusion
Good for: Groups, Cheap Eats, View, Bar Scene, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Apres Beach Bar & Grill is celebrating an amazing revamp with an exciting new menu created by two new chefs, a new Pizza Bar and new outdoor furniture. The kid's playground across the road allows you to have a drink or meal while the kids are entertained in the playground. Come and try us out with a complete new food and new drink menu. We have strengthened our supervisory team with the appointment of a supervising chef.March 6 2015 we opened Apres Pizzeria in the rear section of the Apres Bar. Apres Beach Bar & Grill is open 7 days a week all year round. At Apres, we don't want you to just eat, we want you to have a dining experience that you will remember! Dine on the outdoor deck, with stunning views overlooking Palm Cove beach, one of the world's best beaches. There is nothing quite like the sound of waves lapping the shore while palms sway gently in the breeze to add ambience to a meal. Perhaps you'd just like to enjoy a drink, a bar snack or a tapaz platter - the choice is yours, we have something for everyone. Or simply come in for a quick coffee and pastry. While you soak up the atmosphere check out the fascinating memorabilia that is part of our decor. Our friendly and inviting atmosphere has earned us the reputation of being one of Palm Cove's premier meeting places, for both locals and visitors alike. The phrase "Let's meet at Apres" is part of the local language here. While overlooking the beautiful Palm Cove beach, you can meet for a meal, mingle over a drink or just soak up the buzz that defines the Apres Style. Apres has live music every night and organizes many events throughout the year, ranging from Happy Fridays, Darts, Trivia Nights, 60-70-80's music, hospitality/locals nights, happy Pizza hours and Rock & Roll. We are open for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. OUR SUNDAY BREAKFAST is almost relaxed enough to wear your pyjamas! APRES BEACH BAR & GRILL, GOOD TIMES ON TAP GREAT FOOD, GREAT FUN, GREAT LOCATION, GREAT ATMOSPHERE. We are excited! Things are now really cooking here at APRES BEACH BAR & GRILL
Phoenix, Arizona
“Better than average, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I totally understand the mixed responses below. Apres has some great things going for it and the food is overall better than average, but needs to be more consistent in its service as well as certain dishes.

After our first visit, I was prepared to write a scathing review due to the condescending and unprofessional service we received. We came for a late lunch (around 3:00), and the place was nearly deserted. Even with only one other table on the patio occupied, our very young server ("Jen" was the name on the ticket—surely not the owner mentioned below??) told us to take any two-top, but gave us a scowl and lots of stink-eye when we chose a four-top because the smaller tables were crammed too closely together to be comfortable. She then proceeded to roll her eyes and sigh loudly when my husband asked at the end of the order to have no beets on his burger, and huffed, "Now I have to start all over again!" (Excuse us for inconveniencing you dear, but with your little hand-held computer, how difficult can that be??) Someone else delivered our food, which arrived with large sides of cream cheese instead of the mayo we ordered (and were also charged for). However, the waitress disappeared and we didn't see her for the rest of the visit. We also needed more drinks and would have paid for another expensive beer or two, but our server apparently decided we weren’t worth her time. Having been a waitress for years, I sympathize with how hard and often thankless the job is, and always overtip as a result. However, any extra money in this case was beyond justification. I’m glad that Aussie servers make $20.00-plus an hour (according to another waitress we met), but not at the expense of doing your job. This was only the second time in my life I've stiffed a server—including north Queensland, where tipping is still optional.

So why on earth would we go back? I really didn’t want to, but the burgers were actually huge and darn good (despite the strange addition of cream cheese), and my husband was persistent (he really wanted to hear some live music). This time we were greeted effusely by a jolly gentleman who we were told was the owner, and he personally seated us in front of the “entertainment” at our request (Mike Bell/Ball, who was unobtrusive and did a lot of classic Tom Petty and other hits we enjoyed), and took our drink orders as well. The place was busy so it took several minutes to get menus and our drinks, but after that service was prompt, accommodating and blessedly cheerful. Our lovely server took the time to make some recommendations, and noted our special requests without a word of complaint. The food was overall tasty, but some of it could be improved. The menu is quite large, for one thing, and it’s hard to get everything right. The garlic bread entrée was rather small and we’ve had better (e.g. at Blue Moon), while my shrimp curry, which I ordered mild, had barely any curry flavor at all and was simply bland (guess “mild” in Oz is different than elsewhere). However, there were plenty of shrimp and crunchy veggies. The fried wonton on the side, however, was stale and inedible. My husband’s pork chop was huge and tender, with tasty gravy, but not Cajun-flavored as described. The “potato pie” on the side was delicious, however—what Americans would consider scalloped potatoes, made with both white and sweet potatoes. I ordered the coffee n’ cake on the specials board as well: the blueberry cheesecake was probably store-bought, but the chai latte was outstanding.

With a few tweaks to the menu and a bit more training of the wait-staff (or changes as needed), this place would get more “outstanding” reviews, imho. I recommend giving it a try—on a busy night.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Anita J

Guam, Mariana Islands
“Hard to Understand how a Tourist Destination Can Be So Bad”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Palm Cove, one of the nicest beach areas in the world. Wonderful beachside location with heaps of tourists, prepared to pay top dollar for a nice meal. It can't get any better for a restauranteur - all they have to do is perform. But mediocre, overpriced meals with hideous service are for some reason the norm in Australian resorts.

This restaurant sadly was no stellar performer, even on a weeknight with only a moderate number of customers. We were "pointed" to a table where we waited, waited, waited for someone to discover us waiting. Finally menus were proffered, and drink orders taken. We then saw another waitress trying to deliver our wine to several other tables before figuring out it might be ours.

We watched as a table filled with two Chinese families (six adults, two children) struggled with the English menu - this in a destination that has had Chinese tourists coming for the last 3-4 years and is touted as the "growth" source of new tourists. And other non-English speaking tourists were being kept waiting even longer.

I ordered a Cajun Pork dish, my colleague had some kind of indonesian noodles Both were mediocre, and used pre made bottled sauces. Both grossly over salted as well.

We passed on the coffee and dessert, and while paying our bill noticed that one group was just receiving their meals! A bartender pointed out the owner to me while we were paying the check - sitting at the end of the bar instead of minding business.

You wonder if anyone ever returns to Australia after these kind of all-too-typical experiences.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JimmyMc
Adelaide, Australia
“Over priced for average quality food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I have eaten here twice now unfortunately 1st time was with my partner and his parents 2nd with a group if 30 people service was quite good both times but food quality horrible both times and extremely over priced. We paid $26 for schnitzels that were so small you could have 2 to yourself and they were only served with chips not even any salad which was disappointing. The pasta was extremely bland and the gnocchi terrible my partners mum barley ate any. We only came back as we came for a group dinner and were equally as disappointed as the 1st we came there are some great restaurants down here I'd recommend giving this one a miss.

1 Thank Deece84
Cairns, Australia
“Unfazed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Had lunch at this place in Palm Cove last week and was not impressed. Service was lukewarm and the food was average at best. I ordered a bacon and leek gnocchi as I was told it was freshly made that morning. It was almost inedible with a bitter tasting sauce. I mentioned it to the wait staff who said she would check with the chef. She came back and said that's how it is supposed to taste. I would be taking it off the menu if this is the case.

Should have read other reviews before we decided to go there.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SA0907
Cairns, Australia
“Fantastic Service, Great Food and a fabulous Atmosphere :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Hey guys and girls,

On a casual Sunday before we went to work we decided to spend the morning in Palm Cove with 2 other friends of ours and our puppy dog. We searched for a pet friendly cafe and stumbled across Jens Cafe called Beach Apres Bar and Grill. We asked Jen and her team weather or not they allowed puppy dogs on leashes and they did not refuse at all. The Table Service was fantastic, fast and efficient. The food was also fantastic, better than all the other restaurants we have experienced around Palm Cove. This one I will highly recommend to others. The prices were absolutely affordable too. I have no Idea as to why everyone else on there reviews are winging like little school girls about the service, the quality and the prices lol.

All I can say is keep up to great work girls you doing a grand job

Big Thank you to Jen