“Great time as a student traveler!”

Kipara Tropical Rainforest Retreat
Reviewed 20 April 2014

As a student on a budget looking for something with a little more privacy and comfort than a hostel, Kipara was a great choice! It's easy to get to, and the husband/wife who manage the property are super sweet, friendly and helpful. They had no problem arranging a late check-in, and were always available for a chat!

The property itself is very nice for what you pay for. Sure, you're not going to have a luxurious mattress and six million pillows, but it's got great air conditioning, was very clean, and had everything in the room I needed for a few nights. It's also very accessible by public bus, which makes getting in and out of town easy. The two trips I'd booked also seemed to have no problem locating the property for pick-ups, so good transportation access all around.

Only complaints are it's a bit noisy as it's right on a busier, faster stretch of the main road through Airlie and the walls seemed a bit thin - I could hear my neighbor when he got up each morning when he ran the water, slid his door, etc. To be expected though, and definitely something I'm used to as a student. Overall couldn't ask for a much better stay! Definitely contributed immensely to my vacation experience by serving as a great place to return to each night!

Room Tip: There is free WiFi on the property, but it's really only accessible in and around the office are...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sydney N

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I arrived at Kipara because there were no backpackers available and I was stranded in Airlie Beach due to a cyclone.
Despite the circumstances, as soon as I arrived I was welcomed by Shirley, who was very friendly and even tried to give me a discount due to the weather - which was obviously not her fault!
I wish I had known about this place before I stayed in a hostel a few nights earlier - it only costs a little bit more and you get a clean, private en-suite room with a TV, hot drinks/kettle, fridge, air-con and free toiletries - in a beautiful resort! I love it and would recommend Kipara to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I didn't want to stay in a backpackers, and this place seemed affordable and nice.
Shirley at the desk was very helpful and sweet.

The room was clean and comfy, the wifi is spotty in room because the layout is so spread out. But there is no charge and they have a computer you can use in the reception as well.

I didn't realize they did tour bookings as well and booked mine through a different agent. However, my reef adventure sea flight was canceled due to high winds and kipara took over as my booking agent and did everything possible to get me on a plane to the reef before I left. Amazingly helpful, great retreat.
A little far (22 min walk) from the center of airlie but that was just what I wanted!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed for two nights in one of the self contained cabins during our stay in Airlie beach. I found this to be great value for money in lovely surrounds. The accommodation was clean and had air conditioning. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2014

5 friends and I stayed for 8 nights in a Villa for under $110 per night under a weekly rate, excellent value with nothing compromised. The villa was spacious and very clean. The pool and BBQ areas were cleaned daily. It is 3 minute drive from Airlie and if you do not have a car there is a bus stop outside or you can walk (takes approx 40min). The management were extremely helpful and very accommodating to all our needs. I would strongly recommend Kipara to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We only stayed one night as that was all the time we had. This is a great place for all the basics, including air conditioning, access to cheap wifi. We were able to sleep 4 adults for $100 for the night. I know process may be seasonal but that was first week of January. Staff were very friendly. Great budget stay.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We had 2 nights here to visit the Whitsundays. The manager was so helpful and friendly - nothing was too much trouble and she sorted out transport and other trips with enthusiasm. Our cabin was lovely with everything we needed and space outside to eat and park the car. Certainly recommend this accommodation if you want to self cater and have everything you need to do so.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family