“Did not know how to access our room & they lied to us!”

Airlie Beach Motor Lodge
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Airlie Beach
Sunnyvale, CA
“Did not know how to access our room & they lied to us!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here on the night before our Reefsleep cruise. When I had initially tried to book the room, it said their suites will take 4 adults, but I go to the website and it will only let me book 2 adults & 2 kids (my kids are older and count as adults). I e-mail them and they say I need to call them and book directly. By the time I am able to do this (I'm in the states, there's a 7 hour time difference), the website says the suites are booked. Since it seems to be highly rated, they had said that I can leave the car in their lot (seemed safer than parking at the dock) while we are on the overnight cruise and it is close to the harbor I reluctantly booked 2 rooms for the 4 of us, which had to be prepaid. On the form I stated we will not be arriving till 10pm and ask for instructions. They give me no reply. I confirm that I can leave my car with them and they say yes, but that I need to leave them the key (this was not state before I made the reservation).
Several times I have stated when we're arriving, when we're leaving and nobody's said anything so I assume they will be there. I WAS WRONG.
We arrive at Arlie beach, late and tired to a very dark hotel. There is no note for us and I can't find any obvious place to find the key. We are able to make out a note on the wall that gives phone numbers to call after hours and I call them (at $2/minute on my US cell phone). The cell service is lousy and I can barely get through. And after several attempts I finally get through to someone who tells me where to find the key (never would've found it without help) and is mad that I disturbed him.
I ask him about leaving the car/key and he told me to simply drop it in the key return box. Now I feel really uncomfortable leaving it to someone I never even saw face to face and who has already lied to me and withheld information. I again ask him why he never told me this in any of his e-mails (after I told him several times when I'm arriving & leaving), their hours are not posted anywhere! Why should he make it easy for us - we had already paid for our room?
We decided then that this whole situation is really creepy and we are not leaving our car here. Instead of then going to bed (after a long tiring drive), we made sure we could drive to the boat dock and that there was overnight parking there. In the morning we waited for our cruise shuttle to arrive, told them we'll be self-driving then raced down so we wouldn't miss our cruise.
Rooms themselves were really tiny, not much bigger than the bed.
This was the worst experience in our whole trip!! Instead of paying $145 for a suite for 4 people, we ended up paying $260 for the room, $15 trying to call them and $24 for the parking.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank lanamom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This establishment is really clean and tidy. The room and bathroom appeared to be recently updated and had a small kitchenette. The balcony was nice, with a table and chairs. A small desk to use the laptop on was greatly appreciated. Our only complaint was that the iron dripped rusty water so we couldn't use it. The aspect is really nice, being situated on a hillside. Reception was easily able to assist with details for our late arrival, despite reception being closed. We will stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel for four nights and fell in love, with the room, the view, the staff, the location...and the Whitsundays!! Nothing was too much trouble, especial thanks to Karen & Aiden, the owners. Walking distance to tow, restaurants, bars and shops - also got great recommendations for trips - the Ocean Rafting was breathtaking, exciting and a memory which will stay with me for life, also those guys deserve a mention, they really made the day so much fun. Thanks Airlie Beach, the hotel, the friendly guys on the tours, in the shops, bars, restaurants....INCREDIBLE!! I will be back!

Room Tip: For a lone traveller or a couple, the smaller rooms are more than adequate and mine had a bath, a be...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I Stayed about 2 weeks with my colleagues we got a few rooms and an apartment and they are good we all loved the place, its very close to the beach, transport, shops and whatever you need.the wifi works well, they kept my room clean most at the time, they also had swimming pool and pool table.But the most important for me was how Karen treated us she is very welcoming and helpful always keen to help for me now there is only one place to stay at Airlie beach. Jonathas

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

First class with two lovely swimming pools. Rooms first class and the owner very friendly and helpful. Walking distance to town with no steep hills to climb. Easy parking and good pricing for the rooms.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trustascot
Mona Vale, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Perched on the hillside a few hundred meters from Airlie Beach township. Economical accommodation, very friendly and welcoming staff. Self service laundry and driers for those travelling, worth a visit if you are in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Mooloolah Valley, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed three nights in a dog friendly room. Karen and her husband couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful with regards dog friendly places that we could go to with the dog, walking tracks (I'm a bit of a 'birder'), cafes etc. The studio room was clean, roomy and comfortable. Our dog felt quite at home! Karen looked after our dog in reception as we had a wedding to go to in the afternoon and also took her for a walk later in the day. It was a lovely few days and I look forward to returning. So glad we stayed there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
at Waterfront Whitsunday Retreat
Palm Bay Resort Whitsundays
Palm Bay Resort Whitsundays
#1 of 2 in Long Island

Been to Airlie Beach Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!