“Excellent day sailing and snorkelling.”
Review of S.V. Domino

S.V. Domino
More attraction details
Owner description: Day sail to the 'Best kept secret' of the Whitsunday's, Bali Hai Reef, located in the Whitsunday group of islands in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, Queensland, Australia. Bali Hai Reef, is the most exclusive pristine reef in the Whitsunday Islands. Sail, explore, swim and snorkel with the most environmentally friendly cruise the Whitsunday's has to offer. 14.8 nautical miles from Airlie Beach is 'Bali Hai' is a tropical secluded paradise with magnificent fringing reef. Experperience real sailing in the Whitsunday's aboard DOMINO, a fast comfortable Lidgard 36 cruiser racer, one of the first displacement racing yachts built in New Zealand of double skin kauri by John Lidgard in 1976. Domino is owned and operated by Reg Eggers. As an owner, Reg takes great pride in ensuring guests treasure the experience sailing in Australia aboard S.V.Domino. It is the best experience the Great Barrier Reef has to offer. Be part of a group of only eight passengers or private charter the yacht for the day, catering for only small groups, this eco tourism experience will be cherished forever. One can also be part of the sailing, take the helm and have a go. Reg, is a New Zealand Coastal Master and also a Master Class 4 for those thinking of buying or hiring a yacht. Reg has a wealth of information to share. Domino departs Abell Point Marina at 9am and sails to 'Bali Hai'. Spend at least 2.5 hours on the island for lunch, snorkelling and exploring, then casually sail back to Airlie Beach arriving at approximately 5pm. Day sail in a group costs $180.00 per person, all inclusive of lunch, light beverages, EMC charges, snorkel gear etc. Private Charter rate for Skipper, crew and DOMINO, all inclusive is $1200.00 per day. ( prices effective 1 January 2014)
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My daughter and I had a fantastic day out on S.V. Domino with Reg and Greg. With only 5 guests on board we had a very casual time talking and enjoying the sail on the way out to the island for the day. Snorkelling was wonderful and we got see lots of different fish, clams, and coral. Lunch was very nice and there was plenty of variety and quantity provided in a great location. Swimming back to the boat we enjoyed hand feeding the bat fish before another very enjoyable sail home. Reg, thanks for letting me have such a nice sail of your boat with my daughter, many happy memories. A thoroughly enjoyable day with a very relaxed atmosphere, highly recommended for anyone looking for a more private day out on the water.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just been out with Reg and his new deck hand Colin. What a fantastic, enjoyable day. There were only 4 of us on this tour which I like as it's much more personalised and friendly. The snorkelling off Black Island is brilliant. You can snorkel right over all the coral reef. The colours are amazing. See beautiful coloured fish and enjoy a very scrumptious lunch of prawns, mussels, salad, salmon, chicken and rolls. Make this day out a must on your to do list in the Whitsunday's as you will not be disappointed at all. Try swimming back to the yacht after lunch, hard yakka but Reg will come back to rescue you if needed, like he did with me! Enjoy cake and fresh fruit on the way over and back. Highly recommend this trip. You do see more coral and fish than any other trip I've been on up here.
Thank you Reg and Colin for a wonderful, relaxing day.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Our family of 5 had a great day of sailing with Reg and Greg. It's a relaxing day with super friendly and experienced guides. They are happy to let you have turn sailing, but if you want to relax and do nothing, they are also happy to oblige. The snorkeling was a real surprise. After snorkeling further north we had low expectations. But we were pleasantly surprised by very colourful coral and lots of fish. We had a an Island to ourselves for lunch, relaxing and snorkeling.
The day finished with Rod Stewart blurting out "Sailing" from the yacht's sound system. A great end to a great day of real authentic sailing. Thanks to Reg and Greg - great hosts and fun to be with. Highly recommend that you take a sail on Domino!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was my first time snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef and I wanted to go on a tour that was smaller and not overcrowded. I had never been sailing either, which is something I really wanted to do. This is the exact experience I was looking for. There were only 7 of us on the tour. Greg and Reg made us feel very welcome. The sail out to Bali Hai Reef was awesome...not a cloud in the sky. The scenery was so picturesque...I'm not sure words or pictures can do it justice! Once we got to the little deserted island, we were given our snorkel gear and Greg told us the nice areas to snorkel around. The snorkeling was great! The coral was gorgeous and there were so many colorful fish. It was an amazing experience. Lunch was served on a small picnic table on the island- prawns, salad, chicken and potato salad. It was really delicious! We were given plenty of time to explore the island after lunch, before heading back to the boat. We were given the option to swim back to the boat or take the dingy...I chose to swim. When I got closer to the boat I was greeted by about 6 large bat fish, (all very friendly), but it definitely startled me! After I got onto the boat, Greg gave me some biscuits to feed them...they take it right out of your hand! Overall, it was a perfect day. I can't say enough great things about this tour. I had a great time sailing and snorkeling and Reg was a great captain! If I come back to the Whitsundays, I will definitely book another tour with the S.V. Domino!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I've never sailed before, so this trip was quite an experience for me! Although I was a bit afraid when we sailed to the island, I felt much more confident when we sailed back. The view on the island was magnificent, the lunch was delicious and the snorkeling went very well. We didn't see turtles, but we did see some giant fish near the boat. The coral wasn't as colourful as I expected, but it was absolutely very beautiful. My husband and I took our three year old daughter with us. She really enjoyed the trip, although the first sailing trip was a bit rough for her. The group was small, which I really liked. I also really liked the staff, Reg and Greg. It was a wonderful experience!