“Long distance booking”

Cuisines: Australian
Good for: View
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Having booked a 4 week trip to Australia from the comfort of my back bedroom in the UK, I hit upon a little problem, finding a restaurant that was open on Boxing Day evening. Several of the top places in Airlie Beach were closed and I was starting to struggle until an email came back from Bernie at Colonial palms saying that they were open and happy to take our booking.

We walked down to the motel from our place at marina Shores, a feat that shocked the guy on reception (it's only a couple of miles). To do so, we passed through the centre of Airlie Beach and were quite bemused that everywhere seemed to be open?? Had my panic booking been necessary?

On arrival at the Colonial palms, we were warmly greeted by Bernie, who had been waiting for us. We were shown to a nice outside table and ordered beer and wine. The menu is small but perfectly formed, I had Barramundi, which was excellent, I can't remember what my wife ate, but it was good. Dessert follewed, washed down with more wine and beer.

By the time we had finished, we were the only people left in the place and we had a chat with the guys about rugby and life before they insisted on ordering us a cab back to our apartment.

All in all, a really great, quiet little place to eat, away from the backpacker, fast food centre of Airlie Beach. I would certainly reccommend Colonial palms for a nice intimate meal.

1  Thank Mark&Nic

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Could not quite believe what we ate. Just fantastic! I do not claim to be a Michelin connoisseur, however, I know good food as a keen home chef. What a totally wonderful surprise in a very touristy place. So good we went a second night, left the car and made the short walk from town to enjoy a bottle of wine (and would have gone again should we have stayed another night). Bernie and John great front of house hosts. We ate; oysters, half a dozen of each, fresh, beautiful. Tapas, interesting and unique selection, mouthwatering! Wonton soup, just yum. Steak, the best in years. Duck, exquisite. Fish OMG. Lamb shank, delicious. No room for anything else. If I went back to Airlie, I would probably stay here too. These guys have worked hard to overhaul an older property in a very tasteful way and invested in a great chef. Great job, I wish them all the luck in the world x

Reviewed 11 September 2013

After reading reviews on Tripadvisor and realising this resturant was within walking distance from our campsite we thought we would try it. When I booked I was told there could be a wait as there was a party of 32 in that night, but I said that was no problem. Thank goodness I did because the food was excellent. The tapas tasting plate was yummy. I had the duck because of some reviews on here and I was not dissapointed. My husband said the battered Red Emporer was perfectly cooked and one of the nicest he had tasted. We finished off with the chocolate fudge cake which was heavenly. There was no wait at all and Bernie, the waiter was really attentive and friendly. I would recomend it to anyone and I'm only sorry we found this delightful place on our last night

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Great meals and nothing was any trouble. John and Bernie are very friendly hosts who cater to your every need, and make you feel very welcome. would definitely go again.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I recently spent a few days at Airlie Beach and had the good fortune to eat at this restaurant on several occasions. Each time the meal was delicious and beautifully presented. The outstanding hospitality shown by the owners, Bernie, Phoebe, John and Bridget was superior to any I have encountered before in many years of travel, here and overseas.
I hope to stay at Colonial Palms in the future and have no hesitation in recommending it to others.