“Return Visit- Worth It”

Mantra Boathouse Apartments
Cairns, Qld
“Return Visit- Worth It”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This is my second stay at Boathouse Apartments. Once again I found it was worth every penny. Another beautifully decorated apartment, this time on the third floor with a lovely view over the Marina and Hills. I loved sitting on my balcony and watching the weather roll in. Immaculately clean, there were some really minor signs of wear and tear (I had to look pretty hard) since I was here a year ago. The staff (Reception and Housekeeping) were most welcoming and the lovely lady on reception (sorry your name escapes me) gave us a fantastic recommendation for dinner at the Denman Cellars Tapas Bar below which was so good we ate there both nights so I still haven't had the chance to cook in the apartments fantastic kitchen which is stocked with all the pots/pans, cutlery/crockery and cooking implements one would need.
The location is perfect- after walking the length and breath of town exploring the shops etc for a good half day the last thing one wants is to have to climb a massive hill.
Both evenings of our stay I enjoyed relaxing on our balcony with a quiet drink and found other people to be doing the same. There were a couple of larger groups and yes sound travels but the sound of people laughing and enjoying themselves was not a problem for me- they were not partying merely relaxing with friends and on our return from dinner the whole complex was quiet.
I didn't make use of the pool, tennis court etc this time as I was kid free but did enjoy a lovely deep, relaxing bath.
I have looked extensively at the accommodation available in Airlie Beach and often find myself dissapointed once I get past the professional pics and into peoples personal photos. For me The Boathouse is the only choice.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
AABManager, General Manager at Mantra Boathouse Apartments, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your second visit to the boathouse Apartments
We believe that our apartments are in the perfect position in Airlie Beach also.
Once you park the car in the free secure parking (clearance of 2.2 m) underneath the apartments, you can pretty much have a nice flat walk to all the eateries and the lagoon.
Our spacious balconies are a lovely spot to relax and unwind with a beverage of your choice.
With Denman Cellars down stairs having over 700 beers and ciders, you have a world of choice.
Thank you again for your review, and hopefully we can welcome you back to the Boathouse in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
BrizVegas
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Boathouse, leaving our 3 children behind to with grandparents so we could enjoy some time alone. I admit when we first arrived and saw the size of the building and number of families there I gasped thinking we had made the wrong decision that it would be noisy and too busy. I was wrong. The rooms are well designed and really lovely. All rooms face out onto the water and we really didn't hear much noise at all. It was really peaceful and we were there early January !!! (sure the pool is busy with families but we had anticipated this so didn't have expectations about lazing around a pool). I found it relaxing and very comfortable. I especially loved the location - perfect walking distance into town (parking anywhere in Airlie can be a headache!! or many of the other nice couple orientated accommodation places are right up on top of a hill. catching a taxi to get into town is also problematic - long waits!! but staying at the boathouse we just walked everywhere) There are some great bars/eating places in the boathouse precinct too). I jogged each afternoon from the boathouse all along the boardwalk down to Cannonvale.. it was magic. We hired some bikes one day and did this - finding a little local cafe "Fat Frog" at Cannonvale.. so yummy! Overall I could recommend it ! great location and very tasteful rooms to chill out and relax for a couple.

Room Tip: all rooms face the water
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us at the Boathouse Apartments.
There are plenty of great eateries within walking distance of the apartments, luckily for us and our guests, one of the best is Denman's right here at the Port Of Airlie.
Thank you again for your review, and hopefully we see you next time you visit Airlie Beach.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Apartments are well-presented and private. Semi-modern interior. An apartment you like to get back to after a day out and about. Fully functional and spacious. Noisy if neighbours are entertaining on balconies.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tourist643
AABManager, General Manager at Mantra Boathouse Apartments, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Boathouse Apartments By Outrigger.
Apologies if your stay was disturbed by noisy neighbours, we do have security monitoring the premises. Every guest that checks in at the Boathouse is required to sign a NO PARTY POLICY, which states that only guests actually staying in the apartment, can be in the apartment after 10 pm.
With the bar and club scene only a short walk away, we generally do not have many problems created by inconsiderate or noisy guests.
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the boathouse apts in December 2013. It was our first trip to Airlie beach and weren't quiet sure what to expect. Our apartment was on the third floor with beautiful views. Parking was underground which was great as it was quiet hot. Lifts very conveniently near parking. Front reception staff very friendly and helpful. On arrival we did pass comment that the whole complex was as neat as a pin and very clean.
Our apartment was spectacular, beautiful decor and very comfortable. It was very well equipped. There was a christmas party on which you wouldn't even hear. Within walking distance of nite life, pubs and clubs and some good shopping and restaurants. Looking forward to returning again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Samanthapar
AABManager, General Manager at Mantra Boathouse Apartments, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review on your recent stay with us at the Boathouse Apartments.
We do pride ourselves on friendly staff and a well presented establishment.
the underground parking and lifts are great for keeping guests cars out of the sun and the occasional passing shower.
Also I agree that our location is second to none in Airlie Beach.
Thank you again, and hopefully we get to welcome you back to the Boathouse soon.
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 5 January 2014

we stayed at the Boathouse in March 2013 after spending 3 nights on Daydream Island. We loved the Boathouse as it is not a hotel but an apartment complex. They have staff on hand to help during certain hours but you can just come and go as you please. The apartment was on the 3rd floor as requested and consisted of 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a lovely kitchen. Everything was new and clean.It was quiet even though most rooms looked to be occupied. Lovely pool, swings and bbq area. A short walk to the main area and markets on the weekend.

Room Tip: I always ask for top floor. these apartments are only 3 stories but at least you have no noise from...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Olliebear14
AABManager, General Manager at Mantra Boathouse Apartments, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us at the Boathouse Apartments.
Evidently the visit left a lasting impression, as you seem to recall the details of a short trip from 11 months ago.
It is a shame not everyone can stay on the 3rd floor, in saying that, all rooms on all floors have a lovely view over the marina and out to the Coral Sea.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Boathouse Apartments next time you visit Airlie Beach
Wingham
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed in Aug of 2013 & just remembered we had not written a review!
We absolutely loved the Boathouse! From first booking and paying off deposited, to the day we checked out we were had a great experience!
We arrived from Hamilton island and jumped on a bus to take us to the Boathouse. The bus dropped other people off on th way, up alllllll these hills! Yuk! They might have a view but when we are walking everywhere, the last thing i want would be a hill to battle with! We knew we had made the right choice at this point!
After a full day of travelling we checked in around 5pm, the receptionist showed us all different activities we could do at Airlie & also recommended some take away stores that deliver as we didn't feel like going out!
Our room was great! So much space as we only had the two of us, but it would be great for a family!
The next day we went back to reception and a new receptionist on, booked all our tours for us!
It's a short walk to the main street & beach (receptionist told us about the beach in front that is quiet and it was great!).
Having Denmans and the Coffee Club underneath was great! (I think we went to both everyday)
We used the tennis court a couple of times and pool also a couple of times!
We were there when the Race week started and saw lots of boats moving in and out of the berths in front of our apartment to compete and even got to watch some of the races from the sailing club which we saw from our balcony.
The service we got from the Reception & the Housekeeping staff was great! They all need to be commended! (People that complain about staff are actually usually the rude ones)
We loved our stay, it was worth every penny & couldn't be happier! Can't wait to save up and get back!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Lorna G
AABManager, General Manager at Mantra Boathouse Apartments, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay with us in August.
I am proud of our establishment and our staff.
I also agree we have the perfect location in Airlie Beach, within walking distance to the lagoon and all the eateries, and as you mentioned without any hills to combat.
Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Boathouse Apartments in the near future.
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 17 December 2013

It was very interesting reading the previous reviews on this hotel. The worst reviews seem to come from those who fell foul of the "no noise" policy or who had trouble with the booking and cancellation policies. I had no problem on either score and the rest of the complaints really came from those who seemed to be looking hard for something to complain about. The reality is that this is a very good hotel with modern, very well appointed rooms which are spotlessly clean. Its location is sensational with a great view over the new marina and a short stroll to the centre of Airlie Beach, and when I say a short stroll, I mean only 2-3 minutes.

From my point of view the booking and check in process was faultless. The day before checking in we enquired about getting in to our room early and the staff facilitated this beautifully, even going to the trouble, unasked, of ringing us before we arrived to advise our room was ready. On check in I was asked to sign a document to accept their "no party" policy and it was explained to me that this was to make sure we, two elderly couples, didn't start balcony hopping or partying on the balcony. I was flatered they thought we were able, and while I felt a little uncomfortable being asked to sign this, ultimately I understand that most of Airlie Beach tries to cater for backpackers and schoolies and a quiet oasis away from the drunken stupidity was most welcome.

As I said, the room was fantastic. We had a two bedroom unit on the top floor. The view was sensational and the air conditioning worked a treat. Alternatively the design of the unit allows both ends to be opened to catch the lovely sea breeze. The balcony was a good size and afternoon drinks or a meal outside was a treat. I read a previous review which complained that you wouldn't be able to bring a large suitcase into the room - that is just nonsense. Another previous complaint about the configuration of the master bath was also nonsense. The bath was fantastic and the en suite had a glass panel on one wall allowing an expansive view of the marina from the shower. Yes the bath is a little high, but that's the price of having a good deep bath, which is sadly a rarity in hotels these days. The other bathroom has a perfectly accessible shower, so there really is no reason to complain about this.

If I was to complain about any aspect of the hotel there are two minor things which I found annoying. The pool area is fairly small and is the only pool for a quite large complex. On one visit to the pool a large group of adults and children were drinking beer and champagne out of glasses and glass bottles and the kids were noisily sprinting around the pool amongst the other guests and jumping and diving in. These were all supposed to be against the rules, but no staff member intervened. It's only a small thing, but once the pool had a handful of people there already, it became less attractive.

The other issue was that of smoking. We were in room 307, which is next to 308, which I believe is privately owned. The balconies for the two units are quite close and the folks staying in 308 were smoking on their balcony, making it unpleasant for us on ours. I'm not sure if the hotel can enforce the no smoking rule for a private apartment, but it really did detract from the enjoyment of using our balcony.

However these are minor matters and certainly would not stop us from staying there again. We took advantage of a special offer, which meant the stay was also terrific value. We loved the hotel and loved the location and we will definitely book this hotel again when next in Airlie Beach.

Room Tip: Try the top floor for the best views
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank markjackson100
AABManager, General Manager at Mantra Boathouse Apartments, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us at the Boathouse Apartments
We at the Boathouse are aware that experiences and opinions do vary based on peoples expectations and past experiences.
The pool and surrounding area is a lovely place to relax, but it can feel a bit crowded at times.
Regarding guests smoking on the balconies, it is a tough one to police unless we are made aware of it at the time.
Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on your return to Airlie Beach.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Airlie Beach
#1 of 10 in Airlie Beach
Peppers Airlie Beach
Peppers Airlie Beach
#9 of 54 in Airlie Beach

Been to Mantra Boathouse Apartments? Share your experiences!