“What a place, what staff, what a bar!”

Base Backpackers Airlie Beach
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Loved my stay here, was put up in a beautiful private room, ensuited (with a spa bath) little kitchenette could have spen the whole time here, but the reception/travel gurus helped get me on a boat around the whitsundays - then got stuck into a few drinks with me at Down Under Bar when I got back...
Can't wait to get back - paradise..

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Base Airlie Bea... R, Front Office Manager at Base Backpackers Airlie Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I'm so grateful that you enjoyed yourself on your stay with us at Base Airlie Beach Resort. And that our staff were able to help you find an amazing tour around the whitsundays. We are living in paradise here and we hope that you'll come join us again someday.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We booked a King Ensuite on the Base website because the website states these are newly renovated rooms. However, the rooms are far from renovated. They look like they haven't been renovated since the 1970s!!! We paid AUD 115 for one night which really wasn't worth it. We moved out the next day even though we were offered the room for AUD 80 for the rest of our stay.

The organisation of the reception area is terrible. We were queuing for one hour to check in because the girl at the desk went on a break. It also seems to take 15 mins to check each person in!!! After a long journey, this is the last thing we wanted to do.

We booked a cruise from the tour desk. Again, this took about an hour to book and there was a long queue behind us. One person in the queue wanted to ask a quick question, but the man behind the desk, Jamie, snapped at him and told him to wait his turn!!

This is the worst Base I've ever been to. If you are staying in Airlie Beach as a couple, you can find lovely studio apartments for less money than a horrible double room in Base.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charles W

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It's very disheartening to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us here in Airlie Beach.

We've tried really hard to keep our rooms as updated as possible due to demand and can assure you that the King Rooms (which we've recently configured) have just been re-painted, bathrooms re-sealed and tiled with a room revamp. I'm sorry that during your stay you were not happy with the standard of your room.

Further, I do apologise that the service you received was not ideal. We are still currently training new staff which is a process and can quite often mean longer then normal wait times. I do hope you understand and accept our sincerest apologies for having made you wait.

However, because of feedback such as yours we would not have otherwise known the areas we need to improve. So for this Thank You from all the base staff and we hope you enjoy the remainder of your travels.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Cannot thank staff member Andy enough he helped me organise my IDC course when I thought all hope was lost and thanks to him I am staying on in airlie and doing my course with one of Australia's most reputed course directors :) cheers bro also a huge thanks to Jamie who also made me feel much better when I can in dripping with rain, sick and feeling rather down, these two both rock!!

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Jame-I and Andy are awesome blokes aren't they. They're what the travel industry and Base is all about. I'm pleased to hear that they have you sorted and that you'll be staying on in Airlie Beach. Enjoy and good luck!!

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Group of 4 in a room, lots of space, little kitchenette and nice bathroom, all very clean. Helpful staff and great dinner deals for the restaurant next door, along with a good location. A few different couch areas to chill out while waiting for the next bus.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Your title says it all 'Perfect for us.' This is exactly why we enjoy coming to work so much each day. Thank you for your review and enjoying what Base Airlie Beach is all about. We appreciate it and hope you come stay with us again.

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

I found the place dead, all the rooms are in blocks outdoors spaced out on a huge area with a camp site included. Wasnt many people around when i was there i guess because everyone is there for whit sundays which i must add was the best trip of my life! Room was clean and chilled with hammocks in the garden. They have a bar/restaurant with cheap meals and entertainment which is a plus but i wouldnt say the hostel is value for money but airlie beach is a nice place

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Base Airlie Bea... R, Front Office Manager at Base Backpackers Airlie Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Your review has assisted us greatly. We are now looking to open a volley ball court and host other games and walks around our property and airlie beach. This shall create a better atmosphere for our guests to get involved in. So again we appreciate your feedback.

I am also pleased to hear that you found the rooms clean and meals and entertainment a plus.

We hope you enjoy your next trip and hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Really unimpressed by this hostel, paid extra to be in the sanctury for a couple of days but was sorely disappointed by the many faults and hazards I in countered during my stay. To start with, every tap in the room (there was a little kitchen area with a sink and of course the bathroom with sink and shower) dripped continuously. Apart from the irritation this caused, it seemed especially poor considering the number of water shortages Australia experiences each year.

Although base claim to offer a pickup service from the greyhound bus, the vehicle they have for this is a very small car that fits only your passengers with very small amounts of luggage. This meant that four trips were required to pick up all of the passengers from the bus staying at base. After a 25 minute wait in the hot sun for my turn to be picked up, I of course wished to shower when I reached my room. The bathroom was very dingy with huge amounts of paint hanging off the ceiling, dirt and ants everywhere. Upon switching on the light, I then received a large electric shock despite having not come into contact with water myself. I reported this to the reception immediately and they said an electrician would be sent immediately. Seven hours later, after I returned from supper, the light in the bathroom was off to I assumed the man had been and fixed the light. Switching it on once again however, I received a second large shock. It transpired the light had been switched off by another girl in my room who had also been shocked and the man had not been sent at all. I returned to reception. When the maintenance man returned, he fiddled with the switch before coming out of the bathroom and declaring that nothing was wrong. It wasn't until we pointed out that he was wearing rubber soles shoes and therefore would not receive a shock that he finally accepted there was a problem. 20 minutes later he returned with a single door key for the four of us in our room (we were all travelling separately) and declared the room was not safe to stay in. We moved to the next room along that also had equally dripping taps. No member of staff ever even spoke to us about the problem, let alone apologised.

The next evening, I decided to have supper in at the hostel and bought myself some pasta thinking it the simplest meal to cook in this underequipt and dirty hostel. I had also spotted the 12 available hobs and assumed there would be no problem in simply boiling some pasta. Unfortunately when I reached the kitchen, there was a queue as only one of the hobs was working. This hob sadly gave up before I reached it leaving half the hostel at a loss as to what to eat. When a group of us approached the reception about the issue, we were told it was "not their problem", there was "nothing they could do", the manager was not there and they refused to contact them and no, they would not reimburse/provide food vouchers to their bar next door/contact an electrician/really do anything about it at all. This was especially a problem in a hostel where many people, including myself, had already spent their daily food budget assuming there would be the means to cook their food and as a result, either went hungry or ate what they had for the next day's breakfast. The staff were not in the slightest sympathetic, sorry or helpful.

I know that I am not the only person disappointed by this base having consulted other people staying at the same time as myself. One woman from Germany who speaks excellent English but with a slight accent, was treated like a fool by the reception when she arrived and asked if the hostel ran any evening activities. What she said was perfectly clear but the staff acted as if she was talking in German, not their own language. Some other people I met were staying in a 5 bed dorm which looked as if it had not been cleaned in weeks. When they mentioned it to reception, they were told that although this would be noted, the room had supposedly been cleaned before they arrived. Every person I came across during my stay had stayed in a room with taps that leaked. Every person said they had been treated as a hindrence and with irratibility the moment they mentioned anything about or asked anything from any staff remember at the hostel.

This was the worst hostel I have stayed in thoughout my trip up the east coast and gives a very bad name to what is supposed to be a highly reputable hostel company.

Room Tip: Room 703 is much better than the other sanctuary rooms but they won't give it to you unless all...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Oh my! I really appreciate the time you have taken to write this very valued feedback and I'm very apologetic that you did not enjoy your stay with us in Airlie Beach.

Firstly, I would like to address each of your concerns in detail.

Leaking/Dripping Taps -

Unfortunately being a hostel that runs 24-7 issues such as this are a result of continual use. Our maintenance team are constantly replacing washers for taps and we have installed a regulator to monitor usage and help resolve the issue. Problems such as this however are ongoing due to being used 24-7, and all we can do as a provider is to try and fix it where we can and apologise for the irritability. I personally have this issue at home.

Pick Up Service -

We have only recently extended this courtesy to our guests due to the change in location of the transit terminal by the council. The stop used to be located at the end of the main street but is now a short 15 minute walk to our hostel. Other hostels do not even offer this service where we've decided too. This consideration assists our guests in transit after coming off a long bus journey. And while we have only 1 vehicle that can fit 4 guests and our driver, we find it better then not extending a pick up at all. I do apologise that being made to wait rather then doing the walk has upset you. We shall endeavour to look into purchasing a larger vehicle for transit in future.

Cleanliness of Room -

I agree that this is completely unacceptable and the housekeeping team have been addressed using your helpful review as a guide.

Ants -

Please bare in mind that our hostel is located amongst gardens, therefore all of our rooms are accessed via the outdoor pathways. Although our property, is on a regular pest management treatment schedule. It is certainly not unusual for our guests to encounter creatures of all shapes and sizes, in all areas of the property; this includes, but is not limited to ants. It is very common to find ants in and around the property and rooms. Especially if rain is coming! So, on their behalf we regret that they have found there way into the room but we are trying our very hardest to keep them in tow and away from our accommodation.

Shock from Switch -

I have spoken to the staff member involved, who was advised by you. She has assured me that she tried everything within her power to resolve the issue? I was made aware that not only had she contacted our maintenance man but also called in an electrician to examine the power point. After following up your concern it was then advised that the room would not be suitable for use until the parts could be purchased to replace the faulty point. It was then mentioned that you were offered options to accommodate you. After which it was decided to move to the room next door. The only reason there was one key was because she asked if the maintenance man could open the room to let you in. This avoided having to first come to reception to be re-issued keys to then walk back to the room. However, this does not excuse the initial incident and we are very sorry that this happened.

Communal Kitchen Hobs -

Given that we've been open over 3 years now and the cook tops were installed as new it seems they all failed at once due to a circuit tripping the power to the whole area and shorting the coils. This in turn resulted in us having to order in 3 new stove tops for installation as we cannot just pick them up off the shelf. As much as it is an inconvenience that we can only apologise for, this was an event that was unavoidable on our part. We did as efficiently as possible and as fast as the parts were in stock to replace the stove tops. On the day of fault, all of our guests were advised of the issue, and apologies were extended. Embarrassing as it is for us, we did advise that there was a further 2 bbq areas that could be used for cooking whilst we fixed the issue. And out of order signs were placed on the tops as an extra precaution.

Customer Service -

I'm sure that the service attendant was not trying to be rude to the german guest checking in. Perhaps she herself could not quite understand or hear what the guest was asking. For this I can only apologise on her behalf that the guest may have been made to feel like this. But we have also had some raving reviews about our staff? I shall address with staff that possibly a little patience should be extended in future and that unsatisfactory service is not acceptable.

I hope that I have answered all your concerns and we do wish you the best with the remainder of your travels.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

My friends and I arrive as backpackers after a very long overnight coach and were very tired. We got to the hostel after a Base shuttle picked us up and waited to check in, however the staff were very rude and after paying for a 4 bedroom dorm we were pushed into moving into a 6 bed as the staff were not efficient enough to have a room we had paid for was not clean/ ready. We then went to the 6 bed dorm and the floor was covered in hair, dirt and dust, the showers were brown with dirt and the general cleanliness was appalling. Do not recommend this to anyone.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time it has taken you to leave us a review about our hostel and we are very sorry that you believe you did not get what you paid for. May I first ask... was there a reason given to you by the receptionist for why you were checked into a 6 bed and not a 4?
For example, often if the rooms are occupied and we are awaiting check out which is at 11:00am. We may offer our guests the opportunity to check in early, because check in is not until 2:00pm (standard for every hostel). This means we use which ever room we may have had empty from the night before. But not without first asking. Was this the case? It is just a courtesy we extend to our valued guests to save the wait time of the normal check in as we're aware our guests will be tired after coming off a night bus.

In saying this though, I'm obviously upset to hear that the cleanliness of the room and the way in which you may have been addressed was inappropriate. My sincerest apologies for this behaviour. I shall address this with the staff at once.

I really hope that somewhere down the line you'll give us a second chance to make it right and trust that you'll re-visit airlie beach again someday.