“Great staff and boat but a small bit too relaxed for me”

Solway Lass Day Charters
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Wonderful experience and we were very lucky with the weather as I would bot have liked to have been on the boat with 28 other people in the rain as you hang out on the deck all day. The boat is relaxing which we were told before we booked but I didn't think it was going to be as chilled. I prefer to be kept more busy and walking trails are not my kinda thing.
Food was lovely and the staff were super friendly and looked to be really enjoying their work.
Boat is steeped in history and is a tall ship so when the put up the sails it is beautiful and they try to involve people when they are raising and lowering them.

1  Thank heatherDheather
There are newer reviews for Solway Lass Day Charters

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I must agree with a few other reviewers: next time, I will choose a more luxurious boat. The boat is rather uncomfortable. During the day, you attempt to stay out of your bunk as much as possible (the bunk areas are VERY cramped -- to be expected on a sailboat -- and there's a bit of a smell down there; besides, who wants to spend their time in a bunk when you're sailing such beautiful islands?). Anyhow, the deck of the boat is rather uncomfortable -- no cushions anywhere, no normal sized seats, just wood benches and hard surfaces to sit on with no back support. There were 30 people on our cruise, and that was simply too many people to be hanging out on the deck of that boat. It was hard to find a decent place to sit. Also, a word of warning, you will be limited to 2 minute showers per day, as there is a limited amount of freshwater held on the boat. Make sure you take a nice long shower before heading out! The staff, however, were all very friendly, and the food was good. I really enjoyed it. I feel like this boat is better suited for people that don't need comfort.

2  Thank Heather R
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Crew is very nice, fun and professional. The tour is well organized, we were never bored, the food is good, and withsundays so nice... Definitly recommend that tour, the boat is incredible !

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We were not sure at first if this would be the best way of going to explore the islands but the 3 day trip exceeded our expectations by far.

The ship is nice, the crew were all great, food prepared by Sarah was superb and the captain Tim gave good information on what we would do and where we had been during the days. We had rain one afternoon which was a bit of a downer but did not spoil the fun overall.

Beds are fine although cabins are small. Sharing showers and toilets was not really a problem, even for us people who usually chose 5-star accommodation if we can. This must be the most comfortable way to go sailing and as you are with 30 guests you will normally have good fun meeting new people, we certainly did!

1  Thank Emilio1972
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The Solway Lass is a lovely ship. She has seen many years of use, in all kinds of conditions! Sailing in the Whitsundays is her latest venture, and a good one for her. We went on the three day/three night cruise.

The crew was nice and most of them were fairly friendly. The First Mate was a bit of a 'downer' with an attitude that the guests should really not talk to him, as he was far too busy playing his guitar or doing something on the ship. Other than that, the crew was lovely and friendly.

The food was good, but basic. The galley is, after all, tiny, so what they do is good, given what they have to work with. However, I would have thought that the price of the ticket would have stretched to fresh fruit every morning - not canned fruit! For some meals there was plenty - even left-overs. But for some meals, if you weren't there at the buffet table right at serving time - then you didn't get anything! This may have been impacted because most of the guests on our voyage were young 20-something guys, and they were always hungry!!

The rooms were tiny - but that's what you expect on a sailing ship. They were clean enough, but if you have claustrophobia, do not take the upper bunk... the ceiling is just inches from your head, and i hit my head many times when turning over in the night! You also need to know that the plywood walls are so thin that if the guy in the cabin next to you snores... you won't be sleeping! It's the closest I have slept to someone that is snoring, when I haven't been able to give them a shake to stop! Also, the rooms with ensuite are only 6 feet 6 inches by 5 feet... just be warned!

Finally, I certainly agree with the guy about the booking! They are a nightmare! Told us the same story about our room being the last one aboard... and we booked two months in advance... then we find out that people actually booked the day before! And, the whole thing about not taking a bag with a zipper on board is a joke. Be sure you know that you can ONLY use their little black bags... this will save you walking all over Airlie Beach - four times up and down the street, lugging our luggage all the way!

Overall, a nice trip. The Whitsunday's are beautiful. The crew was ok on our cruise, but not super friendly and welcoming. Rope swing was awsome! Unfortunately, we had mega tides when we were there, so the snorkeling and diving wasn't great - but that's just luck! At least it didn't rain!!

2  Thank SBGiGi