“Very basic”

Whitsunday Sailing Club
Ranked #28 of 102 Restaurants in Airlie Beach
Cuisines: Bar, Australian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, View, Bar Scene, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: With arguably the best water view in the Whitsundays, the Whitsunday Sailing Club is a 'must see' venue in Airlie Beach.Open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner with sailing club has a magnificent menu selection with a regular mixed buffet and specials board.The tropical cocktails are the talk of the town and the new weekend breakfast menu is a great way to treat yourself.There are regular sailing races to watch from the balcony and live entertainment to enjoy every Sunday afternoon with our famous "Sunday Jam Session".
Nha tran
“Very basic”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Went here over the Easter weekend and was very disappointed. Waited until after 9pm for our meals, no apology for waiting over an hour for a very basic meal

Visited April 2014

Sydney, Australia
“Great View”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Lovely spot for sunset on the veranda, however large groups also congregate there for meals and can get quite loud.
Meals are at restaurant prices and decent enough.
Reservations required.

airlie beach
“new menu”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My partner LOVED the kangaroo skewers! - He even ate alll the salad which is not normal! I loved the calamari salad!

Visited February 2014
Cairns, Australia
“Revisiting my last review”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I thought it fair to share with TA members the positive response I received from the Whitsunday Sailing Club to my recent review. My earlier review was based on two visits late last year and was very negative about several aspects of the club. I can advise that I was contacted by the club General Manager who sought further details about my experiences then undertook her own enquiries into the matters I raised. After doing so, she got back to me and essentially confirmed the incidents complained of. She apologised for what had gone wrong and detailed the steps the club had taken, at least in general terms, to avoid a repeat.

I was pretty impressed with her actions and thought I'd share the experience. It does the club credit. And while my original view was accurate, this should be considered in light if the response by management.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank markjackson100
Cairns, Australia
“Great view - shame about the rest”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I always try to be positive in the reviews I write, but I am struggling with this place. However, and most importantly, the club has the best location of any eating or drinking establishment in Airlie Beach, by far. It is a sensational location and the views from the building and large verandah are as good as anywhere. I have travelled extensively all over Queensland and this is one of the top seaside locations for a restaurant or pub. I can think of only a handful of pubs which can compete for location. Without a doubt, this will be one of the most scenic places to have a drink you will find.

It's a great pity about every other aspect of the club.

We visited here twice in two days for lunch and the service we received bordered on the comic. They open at 11.00 am, and although the kitchen is open and taking orders, you can only order from the breakfast menu until 12. At least that's what happens sometimes. On the first day the staff, including the chef, couldn't tell us with any certainty when they actually started taking lunch orders, but they were pretty sure it wasn't when we were asking at 11.20 that day. So we had a drink and waited and pondered on why a club which only opens at 11.00am would only offer breakfast between 11 and 12. While doing so we noticed that a third staff member was in fact taking orders. So I asked her and she told me she'd been taking lunch orders since 11.00. When we told her of our earlier advice she said nothing other than to shake her head. However she did visit our table at least three times in the ensuing period to complain to us about the chef. It was clear they didn't get on and she took the opportunity to complain bitterly to us about his character, work ethic and performance as a chef. While that was probably a touch unprofessional, my observations of him seemed to confirm her views. I believe it would be difficult to find a more surly, more unprofessional and less customer focused staff member in any service industry establishment. But then I suppose the best chefs in the Whitsundays are hardly breaking their necks to ply their trade in a little community club in Airlie Beach. This is a chef who would struggle to hold a position in a more commercially competitive establishment.

The meal, when it arrived, was pub food and not great pub food either. My steak sandwich was a basic bit of grisly steak between two pieces of toast with a handful of chips. Unfortunately it had been allowed to go cold before it had been served to me. My wife had nachos, which were probably the least appetising meal I had seen in a long time. Both meals were very poorly put together with no apparent thought for presentation. The nachos in particular were just abysmal. A puddle of congealed sludge drooped over cold melted cheese in the middle of a big bowl of corn chips. I honestly could not conceive how a professional chef could let that unappetising mess out of his kitchen.

Nonetheless, with friends in tow, we returned the next day for lunch. I really do like to support local clubs, so we put that day's disappointments behind us and determined to try again.

We arrived at about 11.20 again, but found the front door locked. I finally located a back door and wandered in to find staff wandering around the place, but no customers. I asked when they opened and the lady looked at me in surprise and told me they were already open. Apparently they had just forgotten to open the front door and had failed to notice. We once again enquired about ordering lunch and again were told that only the breakfast menu was available until 12. Now picture this. We were seated in the club, enjoying the fantastic view, and the breakfast menus were being delivered to the tables at about 11.30. But still we could only order from the breakfast menu. I mean, really, what us the point of having only a breakfast menu for one hour, and who sets out to have breakfast at 11.00 am anyway? My wife approached the staff member taking orders and mentioned that we had been able to order lunch before 12 the day before and the lady then called out to the chef to check this. He response was "she's lying, my first order yesterday was after 12". The lady was most embarrassed and apologised, but it did reinforce our already poor opinion of the chef. Customer service was clearly an elective subject at his cookery school, and one he apparently chose not to undertake. Clearly it is an abstract concept for him.

So we ordered from the breakfast menu and my "Whalers Breakfast" was most disappointing. The black pudding was cooked to the point that no moisture remained, the "potato waffles" were some pre frozen packet rubbish that was just tasteless, and my eggs were not cooked. On one of the eggs the white had not even set. It was a disaster. The other four meals were just as bad, but I'll spare you the details.

I would like to think that our visits here were just two bad days. Every establishment has a bad day now and then and you can't judge a restaurant on the quality of one meal. However this is an establishment with some serious problems. There is a very clear lack of training among the staff and while the bar staff and wait staff were pleasant enough, if they weren't even able to tell us when they open the kitchen you start to think there are more deep seated problems. One staff member complaining to customers about the chef is terribly unprofessional, even if her views seem to be confirmed by his behaviour. As for the chef I have not the slightest doubt this is about the only gig be can get. The food was terrible. You don't expect haute cuisine at a little community club, but neither do you expect the rubbish that this bloke serves up. It is particularly galling that for the trash he serves, the club charges premium prices.

This club is a sensational place for a drink and I would encourage any one visiting Airlie Beach to visit. You will not find a more pleasant place for a cold drink in the afternoon. I would however think twice about ordering food while the current chef is running that kitchen. I have not the slightest doubt that if the club was located a couple of streets back from the water without the fantastic view, it would have gone broke years ago. So visit and enjoy the view over a cold drink. But think twice about ordering a meal.

I am happy for management to contact me through TA if they believe these comments have been too harsh. I am however quite sue these comments are fair and accurate.

• Visited December 2013