“"Highly Recommonded "”

Colonial Palms Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Airlie Beach
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stayed one night on the way to Cairns,friendly staff and management ,room was modern and very clean and views of water and pool and one of the most comfortable beds we had slept in on our travels.Continental breakfast is a must,and hassle free parking provided.We a;lways book accomodation from reviews on trip advisor and were pleased that we were not disappointed .Would be hard to find better ,recommended to all travellers.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ralph865

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Continuing our journey from Cairns to Brisbane, Airlie Beach was a must-do destination. The Bruce Highway took us through Bowen, which I remember had quite a reputation back in the 60/70s, but they've all grown up and gone fishing. When we finally pitched up at Airlie, it seemed in the middle of a building-site, the main throughfare all dug up, we felt a sense of foreboding............we need not have worried. My wife and I were impressed by the general standards of accomodation wherever our travels took us throughout Australia, with large well-appointed rooms and big, comfy beds, often at a value price, which contrasted with the overall costs generally throughout this wonderful but expensive country. This hotel/motor inn was no exception. It was outstanding and simply the best we've come across. It is difficult to encapsulate in a few words, but from the effusive welcome we received from John, the owner, to the heavenly food prepared by his partner, Bridget, and all the little touches provided by the managing team of John's charming daughter, Phoebe and her helpful husband, Bernie, made this a very special place. John seems to enjoy his wine, as any good Queenslander would, and he shared his knowledge and his very good cellar with usmost liberally. On retiring to our ground floor room, we sank gratefully into the biggest and best dressed bed we had encountered, and slept like babies. The following morning, we were called to make an early start as John had arranged a 3 islands boat trip for us, but he had also thoughtfully arranged a full menu breakfast which was superb, setting us up for the day. The Colonial Palms has recently left Best Western group, affording John and Bridget the opportunity to remodel the whole interior. It has an elegant, cool and sophisticated feel. If you get the chance try to eat at this Inn as Bridget, a former winner of Australia's top catering prize, will discuss any menu of your choice, and serve up some of the best food you will ever experience anywhere, except on Sunday evening as we found to our cost. Enjoy!

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to enjoy the same high standards
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Mum and I drove into Airlie with no reservation in place for our accommodation so when I saw the Best Western sign I thought we could rely on them for value. We were welcomed in, given a room with twin pillow top beds in one room and a Queen Pillow top bed in another room with kitchen etc and breakfast included for $140 per night for both of us. We ate dinner in the restaurant attached to the hotel and had the most amazing chicken and tarragon pie! The hotel has a pretty pool,laundry and plenty of car parking. The staff are friendly,helpful,and greet you by name. We didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on our journey from Melbourne to Cooktown, so were looking for economy on our stays, but Colonial was such a wonderful surprise! Lovely private balcony on first floor was great for drinks at end of day but the beds & pillows were absolutely the BEST! I brought my own pillow on the journey, just in case, but certainly didn't need it on this stay! Reception very friendly & helpful! Thank you so much, Colonial for giving me the 2 best nights sleep of our journey so far!!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I am a frequent traveller. This place is fantastic. My favourite place to stay in QLD. Bernie and John, Owner/Managers make this place. They remember everything I have ever told them about myself. I have recommended colleagues here and they thanked me for it. Always greet me like they have known me for years. I have special dietary needs which they are always most accommodating to. Even offering me Aerogaurd whist sitting outside for dinner! Rooms always clean..so are air conditioners!
You won't be disappointed staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for one?
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2013

we liked the place and the warm welcome we met here. the owners-managers were extremely positive and helpful.

mind the fact that it is unlikely to be able to eat after 8 pm - we arrived at 8.40 and the kitchen was already closed. it was not a disaster though - we had a great dinner in Fish D'vine recommended to us.

the place is a bit off the town center with a 15-20 minutes walk to the vibe

Reviewed 12 April 2013

My wife and I booked in here due to its rating in the RACQ guide. We were not disappointed. From the first meeting with the host until check out, we were quite taken with the welcoming attitude of all the staff. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. The free light breakfast was made even better by the attention of the chef, who could not do enough for us. We are planning to stay longer next time.

1  Thank BillnDav
#1 of 1 in Long Island
Airlie Beach Hotel
Airlie Beach Hotel
#4 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Colonial Palms Motor Inn? Share your experiences!