“Good Hotel that is close to everything”
Review of Coral Sea Resort

Coral Sea Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Airlie Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good Hotel that is close to everything”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Coral Sea is a older hotel that is well maintained and the staff are well trained. We had unit 33, which is on the third level over the pool with excellent ocean views, just what we wanted. On site there is a small bar and nice sized restaurant which looks over the pool and ocean.There is a pier, next to/associated with, the property that has jet skis rentals and boat trips to the reef and whitehaven beach.

The location is Coral Sea's greatest asset. Most of the hotels in Airlie Beach are on the hills or are in high activity areas. Coral Sea is a short walk to the shops and cafes yet seperate and quiet. There is however no beach attached to this property.

I liked it for what it was, but if you are looking for a property/hotel that isn't 30 years old and has is a step above, you may not find it in Airlie Beach. The Pinnacles is certainly a step up in quality yet it comes with a hill that you have to be part mountain goat to love.

Room Tip: The view is key at The Coral Sea. High on the pool side is the best location.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed for 4 nights on a couples holiday to see the attractions in the area. We did manage to see the Great Barrier Reef but unfortunately due to a cyclone we didn't get to see much else.

Rooms:
We had a double room with "garden view" (side of a building). They were nicely decorated - I'd read on other reviews that they were dated? From our experience this isn't true, its just the style they have gone with. They were clean, well maintained and with modern fittings. There were two queen sized beds in the room. Small criticisms would be: 1. the TV was attached to the wall but the bracket was buckling under the weight - why not have the stand on the floor or on the decorative chest? 2. The rooms were nicely decorated so I'm not sure why they would then put cheap plastic bins and no smoking sign on the desk? Small points but just stuck out to me.

Hotel:
Can't fault anything about the general appearance of the hotel. Clean, well maintain, fantastic views, short walk into town so easy to get to but away from the noise. Pool was a decent size with views overlooking the ocean. Lots of greenery around the pool and hotel complex in general. Gym needs updating, equipment was old and not very good - often didn't work properly.

Staff:
Friendly and helpful. You are only usually allowed 20 mins of free internet a day but due to the cyclone they were very accommodating and generous with the codes for the internet. A great show of customer service. Reception had a good knowledge of restaurants in the area and the shop likewise knew about all the tours, activities and sightseeing spots in the area. All staff genuinely very keen to help

Restaurant:

The location of the restaurant is superb. Over looking the pool and the ocean views. I was a little disappointed they closed the restaurant on the Sunday evening for planned repairs when a cyclone was hitting. Could this have been delayed until after the cyclone when people were more likely to venture out? Staff tried their best to compensate though and came round with the local Domino's takeaway menus.

Breakfast was a continental buffet, but you can pay extra to upgrade to a hot breakfast. If I'm honest I was a little disappointed by the buffet. Just felt that the quality was lacking a bit which is often the case with buffets. The bread was just standard store bought bread, no brown or whole grain bread, no healthy option for the cereals - all very sugary (even the muesli). They also have a selection of cold meats, cheese and fruit as well as a daily pastry. They offered gluten free bread too, but often took a long time to arrive. As a four star hotel I would expect a cooked breakfast to be included in the price too, however I do like that the chef cooks it from fresh to order.

Bar snacks:
At first they seemed on the expensive side, but once they arrived they were actually good value for money. The food was nice and the portion size for the chicken wings was huge - could have easily fed 3 people!

Overall I enjoyed my stay despite the hurricane. The pro's definitely outweigh any cons and I would recommended others the hotel to others.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Hubby and I recently booked a couple of nights in this hotel. We travel a lot to Airlie Beach but always book into average accommodation before going out sailing for a week. But thought we'd try this hotel that we always look at when sailing by.

Booked a spa room with balcony overlooking the ocean. Very lovely room, clean and very airy with louver doors and window shutters, a fabulous big door opening out onto the spa on the balcony.

A very nice continental buffet breakfast was included in the nightly tariff and we sat over looking the pool and bay. Nice pool and garden area, very relaxing.

Only one tiny complaint and others may think this is totally ridiculous, but the bed was so soft, we had to virtually heave ourselves out of the holes we made every night to turn over. I have never slept in such a soft bed. But that is totally a personal preference.

Just be careful of the people above you, they can see you in the spa if they happen to look downwards.

Staff we excellent, very helpful and friendly.

All conveniences are just a short walk in either direction of the hotel along the boardwalk.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at this hotel after the airline once again had to cancel our flight out. I was fortunate to get an ocean view room right by the waters edge and the view was fantastic. Check in was quick and efficient. The layout of the room was good and had a large verandah with an outdoor spa. Restaurant staff were helpful and friendly. Would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We had a great stay at the Coral Sea Resort. The room was really clean and beautiful. The view from the balcony over the bay was idyllic. The restaurant area where we had breakfast has a gorgeous bayview as well.
The hotel is a short walk from the cafés, bars and restaurants.
We had an early check-out so we couldn't make breakfast times, but the hotel staff offered us to bring us breakfast to our room the night before!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the coral sea resort following a flight cancellation due to poor weather . Directions to the resort are easy to follow and check in was fast and efficient . My room had amazing views across Shute harbour and was well appointed with modern furnishings and spotlessly clean as you would expect from a high quality resort . My meal in the restaurant was very well prepared and enjoyable with high level service from the reception staff . Looking forward to returning again in the future

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

After reading some of the bad reviews on here about this hotel and after staying there I'm questioning if the people even stayed at the coral sea resort!! I can't say anything but positive things. My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights and we booked a coral sea spa suite. I must encourage everyone reading this to book that suite but ask for room 223...it is the best room for views and I mean you literally are staring at the ocean it's quite breath taking!! check in was quick and the man at reception was friendly my whole experience with the people in reception was great they were all friendly and would help me with anything I needed. This kind of service was met around the entire resort which was fantastic we even had a chat with our housekeepers! The restaurant in the resort is a must try the 220g beef fillet I ate it about three times it was unbelievable. The must try dessert is the choc tart what it describes on the menu to what comes on the plate will amaze you! The chicken was also delicious downside is that the chef won't come live with me:) there is undercover parking and a little shop in reception that had some beautiful kaftans. They do take away coffee that tastes amazing which was good it saved us a trip into town each morning and the iced coffee was the best I've had while travelling. The hotel is so close to the main town there is a beautiful boardwalk you can take that goes all the way into town and only takes around 7 minutes to get there as we were walking slow. The marina is about a two minute walk along another boardwalk. Although we went there at the worst time - jelly fish season and cyclone season we couldn't have been more happy. You can rent jet skiis off the jetty which is pretty cool and although the weather didn't really permit us to do much of what we planned I'm glad because I couldn't drag myself away from the view in our room! We love this resort we loved the service the food the room everything. I have been to Cabo San Lucas and have to say coral sea resort is the same experience as staying in Mexico so thank god I now only have to travel to Queensland to experience that now! Thanks again for everything coral sea resort we will be back!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
#2 of 10 in Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach Hotel
Airlie Beach Hotel
#3 of 10 in Airlie Beach

Been to Coral Sea Resort? Share your experiences!