“Budget, but with (several) issues..”
Review of Koala Beach Resort

Koala Beach Resort
Koala Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 13 Airlie Beach B&B and Inns
Brisbane
“Budget, but with (several) issues..”
Reviewed 20 January 2010

Well, first of all I have to say, if you just sleep there, the place is actually fine: Relatively cheap, close to the city, rooms mostly ok and clean.
But now comes my story:
After I'm back from my last week's whitsundys trip, I have now diagnosed that I (and my girlfriend) have been attacked by bed bugs! This is extremely annoying as you might guess, and my only hope is I didn't bring any back...
However, I cannot say for sure, where that was, but it was either at the Koala Beach Resort in Airlie Beach and/or on the sailing yacht we did the trip with in between the two nights we stayed at Koala's.
However, I've got a feeling it might have been the Koala place...
Nevertheless:
Also worth mentioning is that it might happen to you that you wait for 5 minutes at the reception to be serviced because either another client requires two girls to be serviced (due to confusion) or three employees have discussions in the room behind the counter.
Additional disappointments are that the koala adventure website does not provide any information about opening hours of the reception (important e.g. for check-in), direct e-mail contact information, and also the contact form does simply not work! In my own humble opinion, these three points make a k.o. criteria. (sorry guys)

So what's my conclusion: Honestly, I don't know. I don't expect high-end for a budget accommodation, but I've certainly seen better performances in the past. Whether the bed bug thing really applies to the resort or not (which will probably not be traceable): Recommend this place, I cannot!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bbxpro

Families
Business
London
Reviewed 19 January 2010

I unfortunately booked 2 nights through STA to stay at the Koala at Airlie Beach. Clearly they haven't had anyone visit the place for a couple of years as I can't imagine they'd be recommending it if staff stayed there.
I stayed in rooms 16 and 4 on either side of my trip to the Whitsundays. Well, the sheets were old and worn, stained, and sand on one and someone else's HAIR on the other! When I walked into both rooms it stank of urine, neither locks seemed to work properly, the bathrooms were disgusting - holes in walls, shower and taps HANGING out of the wall. On my second night there I could see bugs crawling all over my backpack, that topped with broken aircon... I actually chose to get up and leave and wait at the bus stop for 4 hours rather than endure another second in this dump. The staff I encountered were not particulary friendly or helpful. Oh and you have to PAY for linen. Its such a shame, Im sure once upon a time it was a great place - has the pool and bar, both of which were empty when I stayed. STAY AWAY FROM THE KOALA RESORTS!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Airlie Beach hotels

ZH
Reviewed 29 December 2009

We wanted do a sailing trip on Anaconda II run by Koala between the holidays, booked much ahead in advance to make sure we have a place during the high season.
On our arrival we found out they moved the departure date by one day... Well, thanks..with accomodations and flights all booked... not a very nice move during busy season.
The agent tried to contact us that week, but it would have been no use anymore, as obviosly between the holidays you have all your flights booked, and rebooking them costs either a fortune or is impossible anymore...
The attitude of the staff was as well 1/5...

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2009

Never stay hear. Bedding had stains, and had to sleep on my own towel. Apparently, the place is know to have bed bugs. Thank god we were only there for one night.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Bletchley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We stayed at Koala Beach Resort for 1 night before a whitsunday sailing adventure.
For $28 we stayed in a 6 bed dorm which was pretty dirty. You had to pay if you wanted bedding, which was unexpected and the blocks were a little isolated from each other. The swimming pool was no where near inhabitable and i didn;t feel safe walking back to my room at night as there was no lighting.

The location was okay, as Airlie beach is a pretty small resort - but i'd advise any backpacker to head down the road to magnums. A much friendlier, sociable environment to stay in (though the kitchens are apparently not very equipped (i didn't prepare any meals there).

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 May 2009

Probably shouldn't have been booked into this hostel in the first place. I booked with a well-known budget travel agency in Byron Bay and she booked me in here with no comment on the state of the place at all. However, when my friend in Sydney tried to book the same itinerary as me at their store in Sydney they copied all my packages except for Koala Hostel. They refused to book into it due to the number of complaints they have received from customers. He booked into it with me when we both arrived in Airlie, I felt so sorry for him! They should convey the same message to their store in Byron Bay so more people aren't forced to put up with this!

The place is simply incredible in terms of its general filth and the incompetence and ignorance of the staff. Room smelled of urine when we opened the door and the air conditioning devices were installed so badly that a sizable gap was left in the wall where all manner of bugs could enter. The fact that the hostel is situated in damp surroundings, such as a creek that runs nearby, results in a huge number of insects and geckos living a life of luxury in your room.

Could not recommend this place to anyone, unless they were my enemies. In fact, I actively discouraged travellers I encountered coming south from Cairns to consider staying in the place.
I concur with the rest of the reviewers on this site: easily the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. Avoid.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed 5 April 2009

We had booked our Whitsundays trip through the koalas and as part of their rules we had to leave our backpacks in their lock up room when were were sailing for the 3 days as you couldnt bring your luggage onboard. Koalas charged us an extra 10 dollars for storing our luggage in what they described as a 'secure lockup'. When we arrived back from our trip they staff made the entitre boat full of people wait for one hour to open the lock up and just before they turned the key they announced that there had been a break in the night previous and alot of bags got robbed!!!! Luckily out of the 3 of us that were travelling together only our DVD's and playstation got robbed but for others their laptops, passports etc were taken. Koalas did not provide any explanation or apologise for anything, they did not co operate with the police when everybody had to log their robbery with them.
Aside from the robbery they place was an absolute dump, by far the worst hostel we have ever seen!!!!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple