This was among the best hostels I stayed at on Australia's East coast. The setting is terrific and the dorms are clean and comfortable. The bar is lively and the on-site restaurant serves a variety of food at fair prices. This is just as well, because the only drawback of this hostel is the poor kitchen facilities. The hostel makes no apologies for this and clearly states that the kitchen is actually a 'breakfast bar'. If you're prepared for this in advance then you'll have a happy stay. Airlie beach has plenty of other places to eat anyway, many at 'backpacker friendly' prices so you won't starve.
Some people moaned at having to pay $2.50 for bedding for the duration of their stay, but it's not exactly a fortune so shouldn't reflect badly on an excellent hostel with helpful and friendly staff.
While you're in Airlie Beach don't even consider not going on a boat trip to the Whitsundays. Steer clear of the party boats as the racing yacht experience is far better and you can party all you like in the bars when you reach dry land again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Whitsundays!!Magnums is a tropical oasis in the middle of the excitement of Airlie Beach. Relax in our beautiful settings or take the short stroll to the famous Airlie Beach Lagoon, Abel Point Marina or Port of Airlie. Magnums is an “over 18 years only” budget holiday retreat in the heart of the beautiful Whitsundays.No need for a cab - Magnums is within walking distance of all the fantastic restaurants, pubs and nightclubs Airlie beach has to offer.Our affordable accommodation styles include dorm rooms, deluxe cabins and private rooms which are all surrounded by beautiful tropical gardens. All of our rooms have air-conditioning and ceiling fans for your comfort. Professionally cleaned linen is provided and our rooms are cleaned daily by our friendly in-house housekeeping team. Magnums’ facilities include a fully equipped shared kitchen and undercover eating area, coin operated washing machines in our laundry, free security deposit service for your security and a free WiFi area, all for your convenience.Our new kitchen/recreation room is now open! We have a 51 inch Plasma TV, games and free Wifi - so it is the perfect indoor entertainment area for your enjoyment. Get some friends together or make some new ones and enjoy a game of volleyball on our sun-filled volleyball court.Want to venture out on a daytrip or an overnight sailing adventure and discover what the Whitsundays has to offer? Magnums has a fully accredited tour desk within our reception area with a large range of tours and activities at very competitive prices. Come and discover Magnums – you will be surprised! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, HostelWorld, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Magnums Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Magnums Backpackers Hotel Airlie Beach
- Magnums Backpackers Airlie Beach/Whitsunday Islands