Backpackers by the Bay
at Waterfront Whitsunday Retreat(Airlie Beach)(Great Value!)
US$150
Coral Sea Resort(Airlie Beach)
US$228
US$133
Colonial Palms Motor Inn(Airlie Beach)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$110
at Marina Shores(Airlie Beach)(Great Value!)
US$168
US$150
Airlie Waterfront Bed and Breakfast(Airlie Beach)(Great Value!)
US$158
Peppers Airlie Beach(Airlie Beach)(Great Value!)
US$193
US$187
Hotels.com
Whitsunday on the Beach(Airlie Beach)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$88
US$300
US$228
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Airlie Beach Hotel(Airlie Beach)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$132
Agoda.com
Whitsundays Rainforest Retreat(Airlie Beach)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$94
  • Pool
All reviewsfree wifigreyhound stationthe kitchenchain hostelsquiz nightminute walkcommon areaswhitsundays triprelaxed vibeair conbunk bedsenjoyed my staythe east coasthome from homeshuttle busdouble roomstayed here for two nights
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Location was good, staff were lovely, cheap rooms, cheap drinks and nightly entertainment which was low key and not in your face - compulsary fun is not my thing but this struck an ideal balance. It's a hostel so you get what you pay for - basic rooms / showers etc but everything was clean and that's all that matters. I can guarantee the pool is clean - Nick told me in great detail how he keeps it that way! Shuttle from the bus stop is a bonus. If I went back to Oz, i'd definitely stay here again! By the way, the staff here can help you choose the best boat trips to go round the islands - I recommend a couple of nights on Wings II!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank SarahSelby77
Reviewed 9 July 2010

I am saddened to see some bad reviews- this place made my stay in Australia one of the best ones!
For a budget hostel, you couldn't ask for friendlier staff and a warm welcome. We were picked up from the coach station (daily shuttles) and every night there is a movie night or pub quiz. We were really made to feel at home and were taken out by the staff for the evening.

I ended up staying much longer than I was meant to and it was nicely quieter than many of the more rowdy hostels I had stayed in.

Definately would reccomend, wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I stayed here 10 years ago and either I didn't notice many flaws to this hostel back then or it has gone downhill in the intervening decade. In serious need of a lick of paint and a proper cleaning, nowhere was particularly dirty but there was an accumulated dustiness under the sinks in the bathroom etc. I stayed in a double room, linen should have been washed at a higher temperature or replaced as a couple of stains showed up which wouldn't have been there if washed properly.
Didn't use the kitchen facilities, used the laundry, which was good.
Walk into town is short, was quite dark on way back at night cos of street light that was out, didn't feel very comfortable walking in these circumstances.
Staff were friendly, not the worst place I've stayed in but needs some work to make it attractive

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 May 2010

We arrived at 7am, got a free pickup from the Greyhound stop and were able to check-in straight away. After an awful night on the Greyhound we were glad to be able to get a room straight away and go to bed. Other people we spoke to had to wait until 2pm until they got their rooms in other hostels. We had a 4 dorm all to ourselves luckily. The hostel seemed quiet but friendly nonetheless. The room was clean, the bathroom was so-so but the kitchen had a really awful smell lingering about it. It wasn't the cleanest kitchen but the smell was really off putting, with loads of moths (big ones too) flying around the place at night. So many even the resident Gecko's couldn't eat them quick enough. Free films at night although they were hard to watch on the bedsheet screen and other gobby guests/staff drowning out the sound. We wouldn't recommend this place solely on the kitchen smell.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Anyone who reviews this hostel favourably in the last few years is either daft or the management. My girlfirend and I read these reviews for a laugh, but were rather shocked to see people score 5 stars with favourable reviews of one "Nick the manager" just after many had scored only 1 star. We stayed there in 2007 and Backpackers by the Bay resembled more "Backpackers by the Construction Site" in the harbour. Aside from the early morning machinery starting their work at 7am, we were greeted in our 70 dollar double room with someone else's pubic hair in the bed, a broken lock on the sliding glass door, a room by a terribly ugly pool (which surely needed to be tested for urine), mouldy wooden backpack racks, and a delapidated side drawer. The mens toilet and shower facility was a shambles, however the ladies toilet and shower took the cake, as the door to was lacking a doorknob let alone a lock, which required my girlfriend to undertake the uneviable task of putting her finger into the slimy hole (where supposed doorknob should be) to pull open the door. The grounds and landscaping were in such shape as to suspect that a cyclone had recently hit. The kitchen, dated and not exactly pristine, lacked enough drying towels in order to dry anyone's recently washed cutlery, yet that didn't satisfy the cleaning lady who thought it necessary to make it known that the state of the kitchen was the guests fault. In fact this place was so poor, that the only thing going for it was that it is far from Airlie (no) Beach.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple