“Beach bliss!”

Airlie Waterfront Backpackers
Melbourne, Australia
“Beach bliss!”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

For those that are after a perfect beach front outside your doorstep, then this is the place to be! Restaurants are right within this hostel vicinity with a great range of Western, Indian, Thai & more!

Staff are amazing and very helpful at all times, special thanks to Kellie and Kerry for making it a wonderful experience with your great customer service (apologies if I have spelt it wrong)

The great aspect of this hostel is that it is an affordable price in central location. You have the selection of sharing with a few friends or meeting new people, or if you would prefer a private room (as I chose) then the option is also there too, with a balcony, own bathroom, small mini clean hotel room! :)

Room Tip: Rooms going further in are more quite You may choose a private room if you would like your own spac...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Uk
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend & I recently stayed at this hostel for 4 nights in a private room with an en suite. The hostel was really clean & perfectly situated! Surrounded by lovely restaurants & literally overlooking the beach!
The girl behind the front desk, (I think her name my be Kirsty) was sooo lovely & helpful!
Would defiantly stay here again.

Stayed August 2014
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Since I didn't book online, I can't give a bad review on hostel world, but I wish I could. I really regretted choosing this hostel over another one in town. I arrived twice, first time from an overnight bus, second time from my Whitsundays trip. Both times I was unable to get into a room until late afternoon, which meant a 6 hour and a 2 hour wait. This meant hanging around the town, which basically is one street, without being able to access a shower or a kitchen. I was forced to buy food and already lost the money I had saved on choosing cheap accommodation. The reasoning for this was: 'we can't put you in a dirty room, then you will just complain about the room being dirty'. Other hostels in town do let you in. I was just dying for a shower, who cares if the room is dirty. It'll be cleaned later, right?
Also, you have to pay a deposit for crockery and for each pan or pot you want to use, very annoying especially since the reception is so far away from the kitchen.
The wifi was not working throughout my stay there. That was actually one of the main reasons for choosing that hostel.
When I handed in my crockery set a spoon was missing and they didn't give me my full deposit back. That makes sense but after all they had put me through, I protested. And I got yelled at very unprofessionally by the receptionist. Sarcastically she apologized for not being smart enough to fix the wifi and that I will only complain more if they had put me in a clean room. 'any other complaints I can handle for you??' she yelled. I left crying. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOSTEL, YOU WILL REGRET IT TOO!

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank IsabelleWestra

Travellers are raving about these Airlie Beach hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Not sure why this place has such a low rating, my fiancee and I really liked this hostel.

The staff were really friendly and the dorms had plenty of space for those staying in them including well seperated showers and toilet stalls in each dorm. Plus there was the added bonus of the many spaces to sit outdoors and chill.

This was definitely not a party hostel (there's plenty of those in Airlie) but we were happy for that because we wanted the rest before and after the Whitsundays

Yes the layout is wierd but I don't see that this is necessarily a bad thing. It's well located away from the louder spots of town but still next to nice cafes and restaurants and near to everything good in Airlie.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed here before our Whitsunday's sailing trip. We came in to make a reservation for 4 nights and the lovely lady (I think manager) behind the reception noticed we were a couple and kindly upgraded us for free to a double room with private en-suite, tv, fridge, etc. It was really appreciated after 5 weeks of WWOOFing! Recommend staying here. Also, the check in for Whitsunday's Sailing Adventures is there too which makes things easy. Free wifi was a little poor but never mind.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

At $20 you pay for what you get with this hostel. Its very basic.

As described in other reviews the set up is very strange. If you have heavy luggage and dont wanna carry it up two flights of stairs dont even think about this hostel.

Wifi is free but useless. I stayed in at 8 bed female dorm. Power points only next to two beds. Had to leave my phone on the other side of the room next to the toilet to charge!

Beds comfy. Separate toilet and two showers And sink and mirror in the main room which is handy in a room of all girls. Curtains on door and window block light in the mornings, still woken up early everyday due to people checking out (very hard to meet people as most only stay one night when travelling through).

Big Balcony area that you share with 2 other rooms, handy if you smoke or just like to get out for fresh air/privacy to chat. If you visit the restaruant next door and get the wifi password you can pick it up from the balcony ;)

Didnt use kitchen so cant comment.

Would stay again if I was with others that I knew.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This hostel is weird in its setup. The reception desk is a shop next to a food court with the rooms then around the food court. This means there is no atmosphere and lots of noise.

We were upgraded from a twin with a shared bathroom to ensuite which was nice. The rooms are clinical in white, but clean. We had a shower ensuite, tv and fridge which was useful. There were however lots of tiny ants all over the fridge and a baby cockroach in the bathroom (not that uncommon in Australia just irritating).

We did an early check out which was useful. Staff were friendly. Wifi was patchy in signal.

Good location. Walking distance from greyhound (even with bags) bus stop, marina and lagoon.

Fine for one night before your whitsunday tour but by no means the best hostel we have stayed in.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the food court?
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends