“Terrible!”

Beaches Backpackers
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Room looked like a prison with 4 old beds in it. The beds were so old, they creaked loudly with the slightest movement! Sink was leaking and the place just looked like it needed updating. Positives I would say are the location and the $6.50 meal deal in the bar. The kitchen was also tiny and I didn't like the fact you had to hire a box of cutlery, most times with only a couple of things in it! Didn't use the pool but looked ok. I would not recommend this hostel if you are staying in airline beach.....

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 November 2012

Moved here from the Nomads up the road to save some money but we wouldn't make the move again. It is a very basic hostel that is a bit dirty and not a great deal of character. It is however in an ideal location, very cheap and has a great bar that offers discounted food to guests (probably it's only reedeming feature). It's not a great place to stay if you're not a party goer as you will get woken up by other people coming in the early hours.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for one night in a Double room which was very spacious and had its bathroom/shower. The room we stayed in was away from the bar area so it was quite but we noticed all the dorm rooms were overlooking the bar, not a good idea if it is sleep you are after. The girl at the travel desk was very good to us and booked our Whitsundays tour at short notice and even sorted out Greyhound bus ticket to Cairns. When we got back from our Whitsundays tour 2 days later we were able to return to the hostel and have a shower before catching our bus! The only thing I didn't like about this place was they charged $6 to store our bags overnight, this service doesn't cost them anything and should be free to the customer like so many other hostels. All in all it was a perfect place to stay before a Whitsundays tour.

Room Tip: If you want a goods nights sleep you will have to book a double room away from the bar area
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2012 via mobile

If you're after the parties you're in for a treat. Beaches is one huge party hostel. Music is veeery loud and you can hear it clearly in the rooms. So if you're looking for peace and quite or need to sleep choose somewhere else. Beaches has a great meal deals and is located in a perfect spot, just opposite the lagoon.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 22 October 2012 via mobile

This is the sort of place you party NO SLEEP. Have to admit that the bar is cool and food is ok Go there for a drink & feed but dont book a bed
Rooms are pretty poor and need improvement (a lot) to make it up for their customers. Double glaze or ear plugs to keep it cheap

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I had a lot of fun at beaches! The staff he were all really friendly and really helpful...sometimes a bit sassy as well but hilarious!!!! The price was low and a good value. I stayed there with a couple of friends for 2 nights originally at the end of September. When checking in they do advise and warn right away that the bar is open until midnight so you will hear the music. I found that my room was clean and the bathrooms were pretty well done. They had a $6.50 meal deal that you can get each days which was a great value. They also had a good happy hour as well. The atmosphere of the hostel between the staff and the guests were really friendly as well. I didn`t use the swimming pool but when going by it looked clean as well. You are close to everything at that locations, whether you want to go out clubbing or just go swim in the lagoon. I also booked my trip on the Whitsundays with the staff who were helpful and knowledgeable finding the trip to match my friends and my needs. We also got a couple more nights accommodation there. I am definitely hoping to make it back to Airlie beach and if I do I will stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 October 2012

One of the best places I have stayed in during my trip. A double room with bathroom for a very decent price compared to other places in Australia. The bar and restaurant are very nice, and they are really investing in the place, so things will only get better. The traveldesk was more than helpful, with very nice staff. Airly beach is just across the street basically and it is a good spot to explore the surroundings (especially when you want to go sailing) or have a nice chill out time. I stayed four nights and enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
GlobalManagement, Public Relations Manager at Beaches Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2012

Hi there,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit.

As we have recently undergone a change of management and are working to improve both the service and amenities at the property, we really appreciate the fact that you took the time to pass along your positive feedback of your experience with us. It is great to know that we are on the right track.

Again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Beaches Backpackers, and we hope that you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Cheers