“$6.50 Meals is the best part”

Beaches Backpackers
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The cheap meals (which are huge and give you a drink) are the best part about beaches. Its in a good location right in the middle of the main street and we found the staff friendly.

Otherwise it isn't the nicest place. They do not meet you at the greyhound drop off like the other hostels, the rooms are basic but fine and with a small balcony and little kitchen sink area. The rooms are fairly big, but we didn't really go to the kitchen as it was dirty and smelly and the $6.50 meals were a better bet.

Stay here for a night before and after your Whitsunday's trip and its fine, any longer then you might want to find somewhere else. They will keep your bags whilst you are out on the boat for $5 in a locked storage room and there is a free day storage for before you check in/after you check out.

Location wise it is right by the lagoon which is where you will spend any time in the day as you can't go into the ocean in stinger season.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank m w

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here after staying at Scottie's beach house @ mission beach and YHA @ cairns.
The room was pretty good comparing (def better than Scottie's - geez).
Felt pretty clean, looks like a very happy and vibrant place, a lot of young crowd.
The staff was really really nice and accommodating and helpful!
Central location.

All in all, it's a good place to stay at.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2013

If you're looking for a place to stay in airlie beach, I would advise never to stay in beaches. It's the dirtiest place I've stayed in while travelling trough Australia. Bedbugs, mold everywhere, dirty showers, completely disgusting kitchen and the pool is not even worth mentioning.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Elien L
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Booked this hostel as a 1 night number to stay in before me and my boyfriend went to the whitsundays. First night was ok bathroom covered in hair all over the floor and have to make your beds yourself. We planned for this to be our final night but couldn't get our greyhound on date we wanted so had to stay another night as it was only $18 a night you can manage a flip flop shower.
2nd night we stayed we had to change rooms and slept here again. This bathroom was marginally cleaner.

I woke the next day itching from head to toe covered in what I believed to be bed bugs so I went to reception and told them this which I was ushered to a corner so other guests couldn't hear of my complaints. Staff didn't believe me so I had to show them bites on my body and undress! They still claimed these were not bed bugs and were midge bites. I refused this so they suggested I go to the pharmacy for a diagnosis. The woman confirmed it was clear as clear bedbugs. I then went back to the hostel In which a very arsey and po faces miserable woman who I believe to be the boss or manager abruptly said that I was wrong.

Receiving any kind of refund or free wifi or something small like that would have been miracle work it was hard enough to just get them to be willing and wanting to change my bed sheet. Not one apology or sorry for your inconvinience. They lady Jacqui quite understanding and nice bless her but obviously intimidated by the boss who must think she has a perfect hostel.

We had to wash all of our clothes which they said they would pay for that they didn't and the boss then offered to dry our clothes for free. Saving us a whopping $5.

Overall disappointing hostel. Acceptable for 1 night but customer service from the boss is very poor and her staff need to give her some lessons on politeness.

$6.50 for a large meal is good but doesn't compensate poor customer service and bed bugs!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

First thing-there is a pool, but its just filled with straw..fortunately the lagoon is only a 3min walk.
Backpacker-housekeeping at its worst...dirt everywhere..even after they cleaned it. Cockroaches (not only one!!!) in the stinky room.
Noise all around.
Aircon is broken.
No lockers.
It's the cheapest, but even for $18 p.N. you could expect a little more...

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here twice now so obviously the first time wasn't enough to put me off! It's definitely not the nicest hostel no but its not unbearable. This time round our dorm had lino rather than carpet which was much nicer and we had plenty of storage space. The bathroom was fine when we arrived but after everyone had showered the floor was absolutely disgusting which was probably my biggest dislike of the place. Also the mattresses sort of sink into your body shape through the night... so you wake up pretty uncomfortable.. But despite the fact Beaches clearly needs a bit of work I wouldn't rule out staying here again and have always enjoyed my stays!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hostel has earned its review by failing on one of the most important aspects of a hotel/hostel/B+B - Safety. There were no lockers in the room and nowhere to put your valuables. In an 8 bed dorm this is simply not acceptable.

But it does not stop there. When another person in my room decided to bring back a guy to her bed, which demonstrates the kind of grotesque low life people that stay here, I decided to intervene. I asked the bloke to leave, as he was not staying at the hostel, and was met with indescribable aggression, threatening both my self and my girlfriend. There is no 24 hour security or even 24 hour reception at the hostel so with nowhere to turn we were left with a nights sleep which I would not wish upon any person.

DO NOT stay here. Fork out a bit more cash guys and protect yourselves and your belongings, I wish I had.

Oh and not to mention bed bug stains, grimy bathroom, above a late bar, linens not washed....

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple