“Incredible weekend”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$368.63*
and up
2-Night Whitsundays Sailing Adventure: Wings...
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I've never written a review on here before but felt obligated to after my experience with Wings. I had heard good things about the Whitsundays but the experience with Wings blew me away. The boat was very nice and well kept, the sites we went to were awesome, but the stuff made the trip. Richie Rich, Christian, and Louisa were just awesome people and made the experience very enjoyable. They were very knowledgable about scuba diving procedures (it was my first dive) and showed us all the great underwater spots that led me to do another 2 dives. I would highly recommend to anyone going to do some diving/snorkeling on the reef in Australia.

1  Thank brent l
"beautiful experience"
"the east coast"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Looks cool, all those pictures of perfectly blue lagoons and seas. Looks touristic, so my expectations weren't extremely high. But wait till you get there!

- The Whitsundays are really beautiful islands above the water
- They're even better if you stick your head underwater (and see all kinds of coral, fish and turtles)

I travelled on Wings 2 for a 2 day, 2 night trip. The group consisted mainly of 20-30 yr olds, and all very friendly and laid-back. This is not a party-party trip, which I think is a big plus. The crew was very helpful and enthousiastic and kept everything well-organised.

I've had a great time, and if you're more a nature lover than a pub lover, the Wings tour is a very nice holiday!

1  Thank Jelmer_vd_W
Reviewed 9 November 2013

When my friend and I were looking to take a sailing trip around the Whitsundays we were finding that the majority of the options offered were primarily "Booze Cruises" and it was really wonderful and refreshing when a tour operator at Peter Pan's suggested and booked us in for Wings.

The boat was geared towards diving, which was great because we were excited to dive around the Whitsundays but it also had a really great social and relaxing atmosphere where it was really easy to get to know everyone but nothing too crazy.

The diving instructors were great, knowledgable and very attentive. I was the only certified diver on the boat so the majority of the people were doing introductory dives, but I didn't even notice the difference as I did my dives at my leisure - There was a ton of equipment to go around and everything is kept in tiptop condition.

The food was great; a friend I was travelling with has certain dietary restrictions so prior to the trip the staff made a point to stock up on things that you knew they generally wouldn't so it was really nice to see how much they cared. The rest of the food was yummy and was a ton to go around. After travelling for 3 weeks and not eating the best, it was really nice to have something so close to a home cooked meal.

Really great experience with Wings Diving, would definitely do a trip with them again!

Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

Amazing. Who wouldn't want more than a couple days sailing along and seeing some of the most magnificent things. We actually swam with turtles the morning we returned. How incredible. The food is amazing and given to you constantly. Haven't ate so well in weeks. The staff themselves are so friendly helpful and genuine people. Would recommend this trip to any one. Saw of course the famous Whitehaven beach and snorkelled along some great sights.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Since our trip to Australia would simply not complete without a dive on the Great Barrier Reef, my wife and I recently spent the better part of four days on Emperors Wings, a diving catamaran operated by Wings Diving Adventures.

In short, if you are looking for quality diving, you've come the right place. Both of our dive instructors (Tristan and Harriet) were knowledgeable and friendly, and emphasis was clearly put on getting us to as many quality dive spots as possible. The equipment was plentiful and seemed very well-maintained, and we always felt that we were in good hands. While most folks onboard (us included) were PADI certified, the dive guides went our of their way to accommodate the different experience levels -- unlike a couple of other reviewers, I saw absolutely no attempts to hard-sell dives on the part of the crew. Also worth mentioning: my wife and I have spent a fair amount of time on and around boats, sailing and otherwise, and were quite impressed with Stu the Skipper -- the dude knows his stuff.

While primarily a dive boat and far from a booze cruise, the vibe on the boat was relaxed and friendly. There was a bunch of interesting people from all over the world, and while there was also plenty of alcohol to go around (BYOB), things stayed mellow and respectful. I suspect that most solo travellers, couples, and families would find the atmosphere to their liking.

Some other caveats:

* Don't expect a luxurious experience. There were 30+ people on our boat, and both space and privacy were at a premium. We are generally pretty low-maintenance, but were definitely a bit taken aback to find that we'd be sharing a 50-foot cat with that many people (not to mention their diving gear). It was definitely pretty tight, even by boat standards.
* Food was decent, but not as tasty or plentiful as the Wings website makes it sound.
* The air compressor runs all the time and makes a considerable racket. Bring earplugs.
* The slushy machine was out of order. Tragic, really, since I was really looking forward to getting my slushy on.
* Even though the website indicates otherwise, on Emperors Wings there isn't really an opportunity to take part in the sailing aspect of the trip. The boat is clearly set up for single-handing -- all the winches are powered and self-tailing and all the lines run back to the cockpit -- which means that you won't be doing any sailing (in the active sense). This might be different on other Wings boats, however.

So, in a nutshell: think twice if you are looking for a relaxing/romantic outing or expect many of the comforts of home. However, if you are primarily interested in diving the GBR, you probably can't do better than Emperors Wings.

6  Thank cheekymonkeyNYC