“Really enjoyed the Boathaven”

at Boathaven Spa Resort
Reviewed 11 March 2008

Stayed here early February 2008. Arrived in Airlie Beach and liked the look of the complex from the outside and called in on spec. Got a 2 bedroom apartment with spa bath on balcony, I think it worked out about €240 dollars per night.

The view from the balcony was somewhat ruined by the construction, but I did not have an issue with this at all. There was no construction noise at all.

The apartment was spotless clean, quite modern and everything was almost new, down to the plates and glasses. I cannot believe the review where they said everything was dated and old???No way was it like a motor inn.are they sure they stayed there. The apartment was huge.

The pool was lovely and we had it to ourselves for most of the time we were there, which was a bonus. Reception staff were friendly and chatty and helpful about booking trips.

I am very fussy and have to say this was one of the nicest places I stayed whilst in Australia. Would have no problem recommending this complex to anyone.

About a five/six minute walk up town which was also no problem.

• Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank MandaC

Reviewed 17 January 2008

We were very happy with our stay at Boathaven.
Good location, quiet, friendly staff and guests.
The rooms were very well maintained and clean.
Beautiful pool. It was a short and easy walk to town.
We would stay there again.

Kim & Scott McFarlane
Seattle, WA. USA

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KimfromSeattle
Reviewed 25 September 2007

Be warned...if you want a nice water view of the Whitsundays you won't get it at Boathaven....After much thought I booked the Boathaven Spa Resort for the 2 nights we stayed in Airlie Beach earlier this month, as on the website it looked great, and most of the Trip Advisor reviews were good. But be warned the view from these apartments is of the construction of the new marina at Airlie Beach, which is not pleasant, and work starts each day at 6am!
Our room was nice enough, clean, a flat walk to town, but I definately would not book this place again if returning. The view from apartments up the hill is certainly a million times better - and would be better even if the construction was not taking place. For what they are and considering the view, I feel that Boathaven is over priced.
On arrival at this property I felt very dissappointed, as it is not as nice as its made out to be on their website. After spending a couple of days in Airlie Beach I would probably book an Apartment up the hill, maybe the Waters Edge Apartments in Golden Orchid Drive, if we were to return. Waters Edge is at the beginning of the 'hill' so almost a flat walk to town and has a much better view than Boathaven. Having said that I am sure once the Marina is completed next year I am sure the view over the boats could well be pleasant, but in the meantime if you want a water view of the Whitsundays do not stay here.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RobCre
Reviewed 23 August 2007

Stayed at the boathaven for 7 nights very enjoyable ,freindly staff .Room was clean and comfortable loverly view from balcony.Organised trips out to the islands from the office ,was made very welcome .Swimming pool was great and spa on the balcony very enjoyable with a glass of champagne .
Only a 3 minute walk into town ,some people must walk slow when they said it took 10 mins .
would recommend the boathaven to all was a loverly experience would stay there again next time we are in airlie .

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2007

We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the Boathaven and opened the door to our room. The rooms are huge and very clean. The view from our balcony was beautiful at this time of year (I see some of the other comments about a muddy bay and construction but there was none of that when we were there). The resort was very easy to find and eventhough someone recommended that we walk from the ferry drop off, we got a cab with all our luggage. It took maybe 3 minutes to get to the front door.
We were greeted by the Manager, Marilyn, and she was very helpful.
Some of the surrounding buildings (at the back of the resort) are a little less than desirable BUT none of the balconies face that direction. You can see them from your window if you are on the upper floor. I believe they may be hostels so even though the buildings are kind of strange, the people seemed nice.

Our only complaint about this resort were the notes that were left all over the room. I think they could do a better job of letting you know what your responsibilites are (like giving you a booklet at check in) instead of posting notes everywhere.
FYI, you need to take out your trash daily. :)

The kitchen was really useful. We bought groceries in town and had some of our meals at the resort. The balcony has a nice table so you can enjoy your meals outside.

The bus stop to get to Shute Harbor (where you catch the ferry to get to other Islands) is a 5 minute walk. Downtown Airlie Beach is a 10 minute walk.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2007

After reading some of the reviews on this hotel I was looking forward to going and seeing for myself and it was fantastic! I am a travel agent in Melbourne and have visited countless hotels and resorts throughout Australia and was extemely pleased with Boathaven. I am bewildered at the review from "travel queensland" on 07May....I can not believe they are talking about the same property. I stayed there from 05 May - 08 May and can't fault anything! The staff at reception were fantastic and were very helpful in every way including tour and restaurant recommendations, as well as a swift and easy check-in.

The quality and size of the rooms was nothing short of perfect - you will not find cleaner accommodation in Airlie Beach. The furnishings were modern and tasteful and not "outdated" in the slightest possible way and the hot water ran just fine for me! The glassware, crockery and all the kitchenware was spotlessly clean and looked pretty new to me. Not a problem there at all.

As for the "signs everywhere" in the rooms....I counted 3 in total and they were not big nor intrusive. I thought they were legitimate signs to have displayed and people need to note that they are NOT hotel rooms....they are self contained apartments, so staff are NOT there to clean up your mess and service your room daily. I have the strong feeling that some people have come to this resort with massively high expectations of a 6 star hotel.

The location is great because it is only a short 5 minute (easy) stroll into town and was therefore away from the busy night life of the main street. The views were spectacular as you could see all the way out to the islands and yes, they are building a marina out there but I did not hear one noise from the builders.

I would have no hesitation in returning to stay at Boathaven and would not bother looking at alternative accommodation for my next trip to Airlie Beach. I would recommend this property to absolutey anybody!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kristyw83
Reviewed 5 May 2007

The Boat Haven Spa resort fell far shy of the description given in brochures & one would wonder whether or not they were talking about the same place. The place was very dated and stuffy and was not very clean at all. There was a very steep driveway leading up to what appeared to be a worn hotel well overdue for some major maintenance. The hand rails required painting and the glass doors and windows leading into the room were dirty and hadn’t been cleaned for sometime with fingermarks and a dirty film over the glass. The general appearance was disappointing; however there was a nice pool out the front. The balcony offered little or no privacy, and the views were looking over some dirty construction site where there were trucks and loud banging going on where this site will continue under construction for the next 4 to 5 years.

When we first arrived we reception tired to tell us we had to pay more, when I had paid in full over the internet, and it was until I objected strongly and advised I could prove through my booking we were fully paid for that the receptionist sheepishly responded with ‘well I’ll look into it’ and made no apology for the sneaky efforts to have us try and pay more. The staff were not friendly and gave a very poor impression and I thought this too was very disappointing.

We were only given one set of keys, and had to ask for more and even though 3 adults had booked in we were only given two sets of keys. Only one set worked to open the security screen door. Once we entered the rooms the place was very dated and old and there were only two towels so I had to go and ask for towels for the third person and for hand towels.

The TV didn’t work until I looked around and had to reconnect the cables to the rear of it, and the bathroom was very dated and it took ages for the hot water to come through. After running the water for about 4 to 5 mins & I thought I was going to have to settle for a cold shower.

The general and overall standard was average to poor and far from what it suggested as a hotel and spa, it fell more into the category of a run down, road side inn, and I have stayed in backpackers with better facilities. The glasses in the cupboards were old and hadn’t been cleaned properly in ages and hygiene was at the most basic to low standards. I felt once I had looked around there were far better choices and at cheaper rates where you could stay and enjoy your visit to Airlie Beach.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business