“Mud Hole”

at Boathaven Spa Resort
brissy
“Mud Hole”
Reviewed 1 April 2008

Booked to stay here early 2008 to be shocked with views of a massive muddy and slightly smelly construction sight right where the “uninterrupted views of the Coral Sea and Boathaven Bay” as quoted on [-], I warn anyone thinking of staying along shute harbour drive to think again, as we made the most of our holiday elsewhere this left a fowl taste in our mouths as we expected a far better view for the money we spend.

enjoy

• Stayed January 2008
2 Thank phat_fella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 March 2008

Stayed here early February 2008. Arrived in Airlie Beach and liked the look of the complex from the outside and called in on spec. Got a 2 bedroom apartment with spa bath on balcony, I think it worked out about €240 dollars per night.

The view from the balcony was somewhat ruined by the construction, but I did not have an issue with this at all. There was no construction noise at all.

The apartment was spotless clean, quite modern and everything was almost new, down to the plates and glasses. I cannot believe the review where they said everything was dated and old???No way was it like a motor inn.are they sure they stayed there. The apartment was huge.

The pool was lovely and we had it to ourselves for most of the time we were there, which was a bonus. Reception staff were friendly and chatty and helpful about booking trips.

I am very fussy and have to say this was one of the nicest places I stayed whilst in Australia. Would have no problem recommending this complex to anyone.

About a five/six minute walk up town which was also no problem.

• Stayed February 2008
1 Thank MandaC
seattle
Reviewed 17 January 2008

We were very happy with our stay at Boathaven.
Good location, quiet, friendly staff and guests.
The rooms were very well maintained and clean.
Beautiful pool. It was a short and easy walk to town.
We would stay there again.

Kim & Scott McFarlane
Seattle, WA. USA

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KimfromSeattle
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 September 2007

Be warned...if you want a nice water view of the Whitsundays you won't get it at Boathaven....After much thought I booked the Boathaven Spa Resort for the 2 nights we stayed in Airlie Beach earlier this month, as on the website it looked great, and most of the Trip Advisor reviews were good. But be warned the view from these apartments is of the construction of the new marina at Airlie Beach, which is not pleasant, and work starts each day at 6am!
Our room was nice enough, clean, a flat walk to town, but I definately would not book this place again if returning. The view from apartments up the hill is certainly a million times better - and would be better even if the construction was not taking place. For what they are and considering the view, I feel that Boathaven is over priced.
On arrival at this property I felt very dissappointed, as it is not as nice as its made out to be on their website. After spending a couple of days in Airlie Beach I would probably book an Apartment up the hill, maybe the Waters Edge Apartments in Golden Orchid Drive, if we were to return. Waters Edge is at the beginning of the 'hill' so almost a flat walk to town and has a much better view than Boathaven. Having said that I am sure once the Marina is completed next year I am sure the view over the boats could well be pleasant, but in the meantime if you want a water view of the Whitsundays do not stay here.

• Liked — It was clean
  • Disliked — The view
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RobCre
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2007

Stayed at the boathaven for 7 nights very enjoyable ,freindly staff .Room was clean and comfortable loverly view from balcony.Organised trips out to the islands from the office ,was made very welcome .Swimming pool was great and spa on the balcony very enjoyable with a glass of champagne .
Only a 3 minute walk into town ,some people must walk slow when they said it took 10 mins .
would recommend the boathaven to all was a loverly experience would stay there again next time we are in airlie .

• Liked — clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — no flyscreens
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed 18 July 2007

We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the Boathaven and opened the door to our room. The rooms are huge and very clean. The view from our balcony was beautiful at this time of year (I see some of the other comments about a muddy bay and construction but there was none of that when we were there). The resort was very easy to find and eventhough someone recommended that we walk from the ferry drop off, we got a cab with all our luggage. It took maybe 3 minutes to get to the front door.
We were greeted by the Manager, Marilyn, and she was very helpful.
Some of the surrounding buildings (at the back of the resort) are a little less than desirable BUT none of the balconies face that direction. You can see them from your window if you are on the upper floor. I believe they may be hostels so even though the buildings are kind of strange, the people seemed nice.

Our only complaint about this resort were the notes that were left all over the room. I think they could do a better job of letting you know what your responsibilites are (like giving you a booklet at check in) instead of posting notes everywhere.
FYI, you need to take out your trash daily. :)

The kitchen was really useful. We bought groceries in town and had some of our meals at the resort. The balcony has a nice table so you can enjoy your meals outside.

The bus stop to get to Shute Harbor (where you catch the ferry to get to other Islands) is a 5 minute walk. Downtown Airlie Beach is a 10 minute walk.

• Liked — The views, the room size, close to bus stop, the balcony spa
  • Disliked — the notes in your room
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2007

After reading some of the reviews on this hotel I was looking forward to going and seeing for myself and it was fantastic! I am a travel agent in Melbourne and have visited countless hotels and resorts throughout Australia and was extemely pleased with Boathaven. I am bewildered at the review from "travel queensland" on 07May....I can not believe they are talking about the same property. I stayed there from 05 May - 08 May and can't fault anything! The staff at reception were fantastic and were very helpful in every way including tour and restaurant recommendations, as well as a swift and easy check-in.

The quality and size of the rooms was nothing short of perfect - you will not find cleaner accommodation in Airlie Beach. The furnishings were modern and tasteful and not "outdated" in the slightest possible way and the hot water ran just fine for me! The glassware, crockery and all the kitchenware was spotlessly clean and looked pretty new to me. Not a problem there at all.

As for the "signs everywhere" in the rooms....I counted 3 in total and they were not big nor intrusive. I thought they were legitimate signs to have displayed and people need to note that they are NOT hotel rooms....they are self contained apartments, so staff are NOT there to clean up your mess and service your room daily. I have the strong feeling that some people have come to this resort with massively high expectations of a 6 star hotel.

The location is great because it is only a short 5 minute (easy) stroll into town and was therefore away from the busy night life of the main street. The views were spectacular as you could see all the way out to the islands and yes, they are building a marina out there but I did not hear one noise from the builders.

I would have no hesitation in returning to stay at Boathaven and would not bother looking at alternative accommodation for my next trip to Airlie Beach. I would recommend this property to absolutey anybody!

• Liked — the cleanliness was second to none!
  • Disliked — having to leave at the end of our stay!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple