“Beautiful views wonderful staff”

Peppers Airlie Beach
Newcastle, NSW
“Beautiful views wonderful staff”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

As a family of 2 parents and 2 daughters aged 20 and 17 , our holiday needs vary. The resort met all our expectations- service excellent, rooms well appointed and views sensational. Airlie beach is a good location for all the whitsundays have to offer. Minor issues such as external lighting are currently being addressed so really, there is nothing to complain about or to improve. Wonderful!

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean views
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
LLohrey, General Manager at Peppers Airlie Beach, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Dear Travel50,

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased you and your family had a fantastic time with us
and we met all your family’s needs and expectations. Being situated in Airlie Beach is truly the best of both worlds, providing
the option to explore the Whitsunday Islands & Great Barrier Reef whilst being able to return to the mainland and have a variety of
dining and night life venues.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Leonie & the Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Mackay, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband and I were due for a much needed romantic night away and Peppers Coral Coast was recommended to us. We stayed in a one bedroom appartment and we were very very impressed. Everything we needed was there, and the food is magnificent!! The room was large and had two docking stations, a large tv, but the channels werent very good. Maybe more paid tv channels as we see the others at home. The hills were a bit of a challenge but we were able to laugh about it after the walk up to our room. The views were gorgeous and the peace was almost unbearable. The free shuttle bus to and from main st was good as we did use this service. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be back again with friends and family. Thank you to the kind and friendly staff!!

Dear Yoshe H,

Thank you for taking the time to write up this lovely review.
I am delighted you and your husband had a most enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for the lovely compliments on all the facilities and services.

I do look forward to welcoming you and your family and friends back again when it is time for your next weekend away.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 October 2011

My husband & I stayed for two nights in a one bedroom appartment. The appartment was spacious, bright & colourful decor,had full kitchen,lounge & dinning six seater. Good size balcony with six seater chairs,table & two sun lounges,great views.It had a separate bedroom with TV & ipod docking & had access to balcony,large bathroom,lovely large spa. There was a larger TV in the lounge & another ipod docking.The resort is only three storeys but has a lift from the car park under the building / block where you are staying. The service was excellent,we had dinner at Tides restaurant,food was lovely,the restaurant is best in good weather as it is very open,it has great views,but a little chilly & windy if the weather isn't the best.The only disappointment for me was it was not as clean as it should have been, especially for a resort that rates itself 5 star. The chairs & sun lounges on the balcony had mould on them,not very inviting to sit on. The microwave / convection oven was not clean,I could not use it,The cutlery was not clean,I had to wash it first before we could use it. The sink was not clean.The bedroom was dusty on the bedhead,walls had several marks on them,the white curtains in both bedroom & lounge had marks on them.The bathroom basins were clean but could have been cleaned to a higher standard.I have stayed in 4 star venues that have had a higher standard of presentation. That was why it was disappointing to see when everthing else was great. I chose a 5 star resort as I didn't want to have to deal with having to clean things as you sometimes have to do at some 4 star venues. The wooden box that has the tea,coffee etc was not full.It only had 4 regular tea bags the rest a herb mix & 5 sugars,I think for a 5 star this should have been full on our arrival whether or not we used any of them. The tissue box was not full after taking a few the box was empty. Having said this, I would return & give them another chance to impress me! as the staff & service was excellent.I stayed at Peppers,well made my decision to stay from other 5 star venues, largely due to the reviews on trip advisor. I also feel disappointed with the reviews,it makes me wonder if they are all true reviews? So If you are thinking of staying, I would, & find out for yourself. I hope the management read this review,& take a closer look for themselves, so they see what their customers see.

1 Thank banksia79
LLohrey, General Manager at Peppers Airlie Beach, responded to this review, 27 October 2011
Dear Banksia79,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review, we are indeed fortunate
to have such well equipped apartments. I am delighted you found the facilities great and service excellent.
It is disappointing to learn of the shortcomings you have reported from housekeeping and our Executive Housekeeper will certainly address this with her staff. This is certainly not up to our usual standard and I do apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay.
We do take all of your comments on board and value your feedback as an integral part of our continuing aim to maximise service to our guests.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to demonstrate the true spirit of Peppers Resorts hospitality when you next decide to holiday and invite you to contact us directly on making your reservation.

Mackay, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We stayed for 2 nights for a quick little romantic getaway. Our room was lovely and modern, we very much enjoyed the large spa bath! We spent a whole day lounging in and around the pool, being served cocktails by the very friendly staff. The restaurant was also delicious. We really did have a great stay and certainly recommend Peppers when you stay in Airlie Beach.

Dear Rebecca R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely review after your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed the room and facilities, and found Peppers Coral Coast to host your romantic weekend away. We appreciate your recommendations and do hope to see you back again soon.

Gold Coast
Reviewed 24 October 2011

This is NOT a 5 star property – they are self–rated and it is barely 4 star. There ought to be a law in Australia that any property that wants to call itself 4 stars or more should be properly rated by an official organisation.
The problems were obvious immediately we arrived – there is a tiny reception area – no real lobby/lounge area. There are steep steps up to reception – we had to leave our bags down in the street while checking in. So there is very little seating, and if more than 4 people were waiting for a bus/taxi, everybody else had to sit on the stone steps or stand in the street!

Accommodation is in several separate buildings so we were relieved to be told that we would be driven there with our luggage but it was a rather crummy bus with a broken seat and a woman driver swearing about not being able to fix it properly!
The entrance to the apartments reminded me of slum flats – all bare concrete, only lacking in graffiti! The metal stairs were very noisy (quite annoying when trying to sleep-in!)

The apartments are not ‘magnificently appointed’ – they are minimalist to be polite!
There is nowhere to store luggage, barely enough room to unpack clothes, you had to walk sideways in the bathroom to pass each other. There was no microwave in the kitchen despite what their website says. It has the smallest shower I have ever seen, and it was only half screened so the bathroom floor was always flooding (and no drain for it to run away) – we were forever walking in water!
There were no international shaver points – only Australian electrical outlets. The room safe was never fixed even though I asked reception on the 2nd day.
The apartments are not ‘overlooking the majestic Whitsunday Passage’ - most overlook the mud flats.
Even a mountain goat would be challenged by the hilly terrain you had to walk every day to and from the apartments – it was so bad that tour buses that normally picked up at other resorts, refused to come to Peppers, so you had to meet them at the bottom of the very steep hill (Mount).

The restaurant service was appalling. We booked a table for 8.15pm and when we arrived on time we were asked to sit at the bar. Nobody attended us until nearly half an hour later when I asked when we would be seated. Then we were fobbed off again with some water for another while. After our initial order, we asked for a side of chips. We agreed with the waiter that they should ‘bring with the meal’ – they arrived a full twenty minutes before the rest of the meal. Also, we asked for tomato sauce and vinegar which never arrived. (interestingly, the same happened when we ordered room-service!)

I requested a DVD Player and tourist compendium (they only have a few between 100 apartments, despite claiming to have a tourist desk, which they do not!). Instead of saying something like ‘I will bring them to your room’ as you would assume from a 4-5 star hotel, they expected me to take it myself. Since we were leaving straight away, I asked for it to wait at the desk for our return. The items then disappeared – reception had already closed when we got back about 11pm and the night porter had no idea…..

The servicing of the room was hardly much better – One day, the room was cleaned but no towels changed (not even picked up from the floor where they were mopping up water from the shower!). Toilet paper was not replenished until it actually ran out. The bath was not cleaned even though room service had to empty it because it was impossible to remove the plug!

This property is NOT a ‘resort’ – is has almost no facilities that you would expect from such a designation. The ‘stunning resort pool’ was smaller than mine at home (and smaller than any 2-bit motel). There was barely enough room to cram 10 loungers next to each other. There is a spa on the premises but it is not owned or managed by Peppers.
The Spa rang and left a message the evening before our next day appointment to delay our massage. They said they would ring in the morning but never did. We arrived 15 minutes early as requested to fill-in forms but the place was locked up and we had to wait nearly half an hour for anybody to turn up. Pepper’s Reception had no idea where they were and as they explained ‘they have nothing to do with us!’

By the way, if you are thinking of going to the Whitsunday area, I suggest you pick an island not Airlie Beach unless you are a twenty-something backpacker –the only evening entertainment is geared towards them.

I suggest Peppers checkout some real 5-star properties even in Australia let alone those in Asia – no wonder the Australian tourist industry is having troubles!

Room Tip: Most apartments are not ‘overlooking the majestic Whitsunday Passage’ - most overlook the mud flats...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dear HighStandard 2011,

It disappoints me to learn that you encountered a number of issues during your
recent stay at Peppers Coral Coast. I regret the shortcomings you have noted regarding
the resort and Airlie Beach in its self and sincerely apologise for your less than ideal
experience. I invite you to contact me directly to discuss in more detail and then I can
address these issues accordingly. I look forward to hearing from you.

PH: 07 4962 5100

Kind Regards,

Gladstone, Australia
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Thank you SO much for making our wedding reception so perfect! Words cannot describe how happy and stress free we were on our wedding day thanks to the wonderful staff at Peppers! We chose Peppers Coral Coast due to wonderful service when we were looking at venues we went there first and then no other venue lived up to it in our eyes!

For the week that we and our guests stayed for our wedding day we can not fault the service by all staff members! Every staff member was helpful from asking things of reception staff through to the wait and bar staff! Sandi the weddings coordinator was truly wonderful through out the whole planning process and made our reception room look AMAZING! Did not have to stress about anything as she had it all under control! We regularly ate breakfast, lunch and dinner at the restaurant and the food was excellent every time! Our reception food was delicious, all our guests were raving about the food! Can not fault one thing! It is situated on a big hill, but the rooms and views make the trip up it worthwhile!

Peppers Coral Coast looked after our guests with discounted room rates for our wedding and pricing for our reception was very reasonable when comparing it with other places that we looked at. Could continue raving about it and am recommending to everyone I know!! Will be back for anniversaries for sure!!

Dear tmt124,

I was extremely pleased reading through your review. It sounds as though you had a wonderful time with us and we able to assist in making your wedding day perfect.

You have certainly highlighted just about all there is to say about Peppers Coral Coast. We are thrilled that you are so passionate about the property and the service. I am so lucky to have such a loyal, friendly, genuine and caring team. In true Peppers style, we will always go out of our way to assist our guests whenever possible.

Thank you so much for taking time out to post this lovely review. We greatly appreciate you giving future guests an insight of what to expect when they do stay with us.

We look forward to your first anniversary with us and hope that we can make it
as special and memorable as your wedding day.

Once again Congratulations,

Raymond Terrace, Australia
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Difficult to find but well worth the steep climb.From check in to check out felt like a Queen. Staff amazing bar staff very good. Enjoyed so much booked for Christmas. Room had everything good kitchen well defined areas amazing bedroom and bathroom out of this world, spa bath was so relaxing.Cannot recommend it highly enough it was just what we needed.Ask for room on top floors for views,Just remember its built in to steep hills and needs some mobility, ask if you need easy access staff are very helpful. Cant wait to go back.What to fault ..............nothing. We have the whole of Australia to experience and I need to go back here. Next time we try the spa cant wait. Keep up the good work. Every email and telephone enquiry for our next visit was promptly returned if the could not answer at the time (questioned Christmas dinner menu in September) whoever does there customer service training deserves a gold star the staff are spot on

Room Tip: Go high for views
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Deservepampuring,

I’m chuffed to read that we made you feel like royalty and that you enjoyed your experience
so much that you have already booked your next stay with us. Your high recommendations
are truly inspiring which makes us even more excited & determined to continue delivering exceptional service.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your lovely review, we look forward
to your arrival over the festive season.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Airlie Beach
#1 of 10 in Airlie Beach
Mantra Boathouse Apartments
Mantra Boathouse Apartments
#4 of 54 in Airlie Beach

Been to Peppers Airlie Beach? Share your experiences!