“Gorgeous property in a gorgeous location”

Peppers Airlie Beach
Reviewed 25 September 2009

Our Airlie Beach visit was a much anticipated long weekend away with my man, my sis and her hubby. Be warned .. all the good spots in Airlie are on a hill - this place included, but the view is worth the climb. Staff were friendly on check-in and our 2 bedroom apartment did not disappoint. This is a new resort so you'd expect everything to be well presented. Both bedrooms were large, and had ensuite bathrooms. Could not believe the size of the spa bath in the main bathroom which never got used. Full kitchen .. in fact we could happily have spent the full weekend in our apartment. Probably the best feature was the huge balcony with views out to the Coral Sea.

Their restaurant was busy on the Saturday night so we instead chose to try it on the Sunday. Meals were reasonably priced - around $16 for an entree with mains in the late $20's. Compared to the other places we'd eaten in town this meal was a stand out. Overall a good experience and what I'd expect of a Peppers resort.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 September 2009

Please do not misinterpret the comments I make as a reason not to stay at Peppers Coral Coast. I have purely benchmarked it against other Pepper Resorts I have had the pleasure of staying at and also alternative accommodation I have stayed at in Airlie Beach area
VALUE FOR MONEY
We paid $179 per night for a large one bedroom apartment. I believe this was great value for money
LOCATION
Great location. Up on a steep hill, as is all the good accommodation in Airlie, overlooking the ocean and some of the tropical green hinterland forest. Nice comfortable walk into the main strip of town along a well lit pavement. You can grab a $6 taxi ride if the short but very steep hill is too much for you. I don't advise trekking up the hill with bags. Call the hotel and see if the hotel mini bus is available. The great location shields you from the "backpacker" pub noise at some of the other hotels located at the other end of town
ACCOMMODATION
These are spacious apartments not hotel rooms and there was a well stocked mini bar. Very modern and with quality fitouts. Don't expect glitz here , more your functional city slicker decor. Kitchen had everything you needed to maintain self catering if preferred. Room service was available upon request from the restaurant. The beds were firm and comfortable with an very very spacious ensuite spa bathroom. Flatscreen TVs with Austar viewing in living area and bedroom. Ipod dock/radio/clock in the kitchen ( handy for charging your ipod or iphone if you forget your i-charger)
AMENITIES
Here is where this Peppers does not match the standards of any other Peppers I have stayed at and really falls into the Apartment Block category rather than resort. It is not a resort so it lacks many basic amenities we have come to enjoy and expect at 4**** properties.
The pool is small and not heated ( not really required I suppose but would be nice for evening swims when the sun goes down) . It is wedged next to the restaurant and bar and does not offer much privacy from those eating at their tables. There is no gym which is a bit a big let down and a basic in all hotels these days. Another basic is the poor WiFi coverage. Wireless service was about $12 for 24 hours of access. Bit slow in room but improved near the foyer. I do not understand why wireless is not free at any hotel. If McDonalds can do it why can't a resort? (interestingly every one could be found outside McDonalds on the main street with their netbooks making use of the free WiFi)
There was an small Endota Spa squeezed into the pool area. I didn't use this so I cannot make comment
We ate at the restaurant with friends for dinner. It was a very nice setting on the terrace over looking the ocean. The menu read very well but we were all left hungry after 3 courses.( I am a thin person who eats out very often worldwide and was surprised with the small portion sizes) . I would not recommend the restaurant as a place for good value. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all bad but we were charged 5-star prices for a menu and food quality I would grade as pub bistros style I have sampled in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane 3 years ago. The great location and service didn't help us overcome this point. They need to lift their game here to meet the Peppers standard
SERVICE LEVELS
The staff were young , fresh, very friendly and highly professional. I highly commend them. I could not fault any staff member. They were a pleasure to deal with

Overall this was a very nice modern comfortable place to stay but really does not shout Peppers!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LPGMelbourne
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We arrived Friday afternoon, the staff were friendly at check-in. Like almost every resort at Airlie, it is on the hill, but who would want to stay at the magnificent Airlie Beach and NOT have a view?? Our balcony was a lovely destination itself. Very large, full size outdoor setting and two deck chairs. It's hard to drag yourself away to go to the pool, but it was a worthwhile trip. On the Sunday night we ate in the restaurant after hearing great reviews about the chef. The food was fantastic, and we were surprised to find the chef was having the night off and our meals were prepared by his juniors. Obviously taught well. The rooms are clean, and the decor subtle and classy.

Reviewed 17 August 2009

I was excited about staying at another Peppers Resort, and this one looks up to their standards but ends up falling far short. I’m surprised many of the other reviewers didn’t feel this way so I wanted to add to the picture to help you to decide where to stay.

- I received a call 3 weeks before stay requiring payment in full – This was only mildly annoying since I stay at hotels about once a week and have never been asked to pay the hotel directly and in full in advance of my stay ever before.
- I arrived after walking up the hill from town with my suitcase (it takes about 15 minutes to walk up from town about 10 minutes into town). I run everyday and I was panting and sweating from the heat and extremely steep hill where the hotel is located. Be warned that it is not a five minute walk (as we were told by hotel staff before arrival) and the free shuttle is only available if someone happens to be available- only once during our stay was someone available. A hotel staff member walked by me without a word and without offering to help with my bags. Then after check-in we were told we couldn’t get help with our bags up the final very steep hill for about 10 minutes - until someone finished with the laundry??? The reception area is striking, and I was disappointed the service didn’t nearly match up with it.
- No room service for breakfast or dinner (only service between 11am- to 5pm) I love getting room service as a relaxing part of a hotel stay so this was very disappointing. We tried breakfast once and didn't enjoy it so we decided to skip trying dinner at the hotel. Over all, Airlie beach was very expensive for the quality compared to Sydney (where I currently live)
- No movies or cable for the bedroom TV – only living room TV- this makes no sense and is just another case of lack of attention to detail that pervades this place
- There are 102 1, 2 and 3 bedroom rooms here. So there could reasonably be over 200 people staying at any one time but there are only 10 chairs by the pool (and room for no more than 10). It’s a stylish but extremely tiny pool area. Also, the pool looks out over a roof of the building in front of it. For me, the pool area seemed to exemplify the problems of this place –it all form and no function.
- We had no cleaning service the whole 3 night stay - It seems the hotel works on their own schedule and service doesn’t start until after 2pm. In reality, they would get to our room complex area about 4:30pm to service the room – just when we were getting ready to go back out for the evening – even when I requested an earlier service they did not show up – Strangely enough, we were initially denied an 11am check-out (instead of the normal 10am) because they had to clean our room – at 10am??- My husband argued for the 11am check-out – but I prefer not to argue during my holidays!
- There is no gym
- At check-out there was an error on our bill- instead of apologizing the receptionist mumbled something about not being able to find the receipt for the food – that we never had which was why she couldn’t find it- and took it off the bill

Overall, the staff seemed untrained – not intentionally rude or anything. This hotel (it’s not a resort) would be nice if you weren’t used to staying in Peppers or other 4-5 star resorts and had no expectations of service or attention to detail. If you would be happy with just a nice, large room with a big Jacuzzi tub, this place would be fine. Doing it again, I would’ve stayed at the Coral Sea Resort. The staff there was very helpful – even though we weren’t guests - and the pool area was much bigger and right on the water.

1  Thank Al-Quseir
LLohrey, General Manager at Peppers Airlie Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2010

We always appreciate receiving constructive comments which help us to maintain and improve our standards as well as meet and exceed guest expectations.
Firstly I note you refer to us as a hotel, Peppers brands include Retreats, Resorts and Hotels, here at Peppers Coral Coast we are a resort property. In regards to prepayment, property facilities and services, we make every effort on all booking channels to clearly advise property information including room types, resort facilities, resort services and booking terms & conditions.
With regards to the servicing of your room I am disappointed I was not made aware of this during your stay as there are processes in place to quickly remedy any issues that may arise.
Our room service is available between the hours of 7 am and 9 pm which again is clearly noted on our booking channels. I do offer apologies in regards to the error on your account and am pleased it was rectified.
We note your comments regarding the level of service you received and we wish to offer our sincerest apologies and again I am regretful this was not brought to my attention during your stay.
Kind Regards,
Leonie Lohrey

Reviewed 15 August 2009

We stayed in a one bedroom suite with fantastic views over the Whitsundays and can not fault the place. They are off to a fantastic start with very pleasant and helpful staff, clean and generous rooms and a beautiful location. The food at the restaurant was great and the prices are very competitive with other restaurants in Airlie. Don't let the big hill put you off, that is what gives this place the fantastic views! Look out for the timber stairs and boardwalk about half way up the hill. It takes you all the way up to near reception and cuts the walk in half!

Reviewed 15 August 2009

We walked into the room at Peppers after a long day of travel and what a treat! Just beautifully appointed rooms immaculately clean and so comfortable. What a fabulous place to stay. Well priced and very high end quality in accommodation.

The two bedroom apartment is enormous with beautful big bathrooms and glorious views of the ocean. Whilst the driveway is a little daunting it's well worth the adventure.

Would absolutely return!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2009

I stayed here on a work trip and took advantage of the great opening rates being offered.

On first glance - it's traditional Peppers, good quality finishes, great style and attentive staff. But that was where the experience ended.

Although the room was gorgeous - massive double spa, nice fully contained kitchen and great bathroom products... the shortfalls were:
No TV in the 2nd bedroom
No movies available in the bedroom with a TV
No compendium to be found - anywhere!
The only phone was in the main bedroom - not my room, so couldn't use it until my travel partner woke up.
No fresh milk
No minibar
Toilet roll holder had already fallen off the wall.... already? It was only 2 weeks old.

But the real kicker - was after scouring the room for the compendium and room service menu - we finally got one of the staff to run it up to the room at 8.15pm. We picked out what we wanted (after a massive day at work) and placed our order at 8.25pm only to be told that the kitchen was closed, the chefs had gone home and there was no such thing as a limited menu available...

So no Room Service, no minibar and not even any fresh milk to make coffee.... So we ended up having Hungry Jacks for dinner... not my idea of a 5 star resort.

That being said - these are massive teething problems, but the resort has great potential. Possibly they shouldn't have opened before they were ready - the place is still crawling with Tradies - but all in all, I will go back - but I"ll wait for a "finished" review first!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your stay with us. It is pleasing to note you found quality finishes, great style, attentive staff and a gorgeous room.
No we do not have a TV in the second bedroom however there is a TV in the Lounge room and master bedroom and make all efforts to clearly advise property information including room facilities on all of our booking channels. Regarding the maintenance issue of the toilet roll holder and am regretful I was not made aware of this during your stay as there are processes in place to quickly remedy any issues that may arise.
I do offer apologies for the compendium not being available in your room on arrival. I am disappointed to read your experience in relation to your room service order and sorry for the inconvenience caused. Since your stay our room service hours have been extended to 9pm.
It is pleasing to hear you will return and we look forward to welcoming you back to Peppers Coral Coast.
Kind Regards,

#1 of 10 in Airlie Beach
Mantra Boathouse Apartments
Mantra Boathouse Apartments
#3 of 56 in Airlie Beach

Been to Peppers Airlie Beach? Share your experiences!