“Beautiful resort, friendly staff, huge hill!!”

Peppers Airlie Beach
NSW
“Beautiful resort, friendly staff, huge hill!!”
Reviewed 22 October 2009

We stayed here for 8 nights and the first impression of the resort is look at the stunning view! However, to get that stunning view you will soon discover that you need to climb a huge hill! The resort does have a bus that goes into town every 2 hours but we always seemed to miss it!

The walk into town takes about 10 minutes and is mostly downhill but the walk home is not quite so pleasant. Would recommend catching a cab which cost around $6.

The apartment was very clean and modern with a great view. The only negative about the rooms was to tv reception in the lounge room and the fact that cable was only available in the lounge room and not on the tv in the bedroom.

The pool area is somewhat small for the amount of apartments with only approximately 10 chairs, so you need to be early if you want to get a chair for the day.

The restaurant was absolutely amazing and would recommend going. It was a little pricey but worth every cent. One of the best meals my Husband and i have ever had!

All in all a really good resort that we would stay at again if ever coming back to Airlie!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Pembroke, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2009

My 21-mth old daughter and I went to the Whitsundays for a few days of R&R. I would rate this Peppers hotel as average. I haven't stayed at a Peppers resort before so my review is based on other hotels with the same star rating.

When I checked in, the front desk staff asked if I could fix up the bill. I did, but then I thought that was odd because I thought I'd already paid in full when I booked online. Anyway, I had a cranky toddler and just went to the room. I received a call shortly thereafter to tell me I had already paid in full and they'd refund my credit card. They couldn't contact the manager for the password for the refund (???) so they asked if they could mail me a cheque. This is so silly. So, the duty manager or supervisor of the day can't have this password?? In the end, they finally did get hold of the manager and my card was refunded. Partly my fault as I should've said something initially.

I booked an ocean view room in a quiet area with a cot. The view was average, a small bay area, and no cot in the room. I asked for another room with a view; the front desk staff said they gave us that room because it was likely the quietest room available. Fair enough. I said I'd try the other room anyway. Shortly after arriving in the other room, the front desk called to let me know the microwave didn't work in that room. So back we went to the first room. There are no bell boys or luggage carts in this hotel, which really should be changed. It was not fun moving all the luggage with a toddler because it involved driving to the new room and back. That being said, the staff (Jillian, Kurt) were wonderful and helped with our bags. We went out for a bit that evening and when we came back, I found $50 worth of food vouchers under the door for the room inconvenience. Very much appreciated. The room we finally stayed in was not overly quiet; it overlooked the garbage area so garbage trucks arrived at 7am and staff bring garbage there throughout the day. It also overlooks Whitsunday Drive, which is a pretty steep hill; cars must rev pretty hard to get up the hill so that was a bit of an issue.

We stayed in a 1-bdrm suite which was spacious enough for the two of us. The ensuite bthrm was huge, the biggest jetted tub I've ever seen! The room design is very puzzling. The bthrm doors are tempered glass, so the light shines right into the bdrm. Not great. I used the runners from the end of the bed to block the light. There's only one light switch in the bthrm, for the tub, toilet, and shower, and no dimmer. So at night, you can't turn the light on because the light goes right into the bdrm. Housekeeping staff told me all the rooms are designed this way. The toilet and shower lights were burnt out; I chose not to have the bulbs replaced due to the light.

Tides Restaurant is pretty good. The food is quite tasty and good size portions. It's a bit pricey but on par with other hotels I'm guessing. Kids' meals are $16 which is too expensive in my opinion.

I think it's a good hotel but not well-suited for us. I think we'd stay elsewhere in the future.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Leanne T
Brisbane
Reviewed 11 October 2009

It appears to be hanging on this side of a hill but wow what a view!

The stunning open air (under cover) reception, restaurant and bar gives the first hint of the casualness of this resort. The staff are warm and friendly, nothing is too much trouble. They're quietly attentive around the pool and lounge area, whilst not being intrusive. There was a good choice on the menu and the food was great. The only small problem was squeezing through the bar to get to the restaurant.

The apartments are beautifully appointed and the view from our apartment was magnificient particularly early in the morning. The huge balconies and bifold doors make the apartments seem much larger and are perfect for relaxing with a drink and a book.

And for a special treat I finished off my break with a relaxing treatment at the endota day spa.

The resort is just out of town but within walking distance or a quick bus ride. Couldn't find anything to fault. Just a shame I wasn't there for a romantic break because it would have been perfect.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Our stay at Peppers didn't get off to a good start. We transferred from Proserpine Airport on a Whitsunday Transit coach. Due to the size of the bus, we were dropped off at the bottom of the hill – the driver phoned the resort when we were about 3 minutes away to let them know we were being dropped off, however we waited nearly 10 minutes in the hot sun and nobody from the resort came down to collect us! We had to haul our luggage up the extremely steep road to the resort reception – I was not in a good mood by the time we checked in!

A tip: Whitsunday Shuttles operate smaller minivans and they will drop you off at the reception area of the hillside resorts, rather than at the bottom of the steep driveways.

Peppers is in a good location, however the complex could have been better designed. There is a building right in front of the restaurant and pool, so the bay views are over a rooftop. The Port of Airlie construction site on the foreshore doesn't really distract from the view, and we didn't encounter any noise either.

Unless you are staying in the building behind the restaurant (‘Armit’), or in the building directly in front of the restaurant (‘Dungarra’), you have another steep hill to climb to reach your apartment. The first floor of Armit is level with the reception/restaurant rooftop, so ask for a room on level 2 or 3 if you want a better view.

The apartment was smaller than most 2 bedroom apartments we have stayed in previously. Very compact kitchen, lounge and dining area – but the bedrooms are spacious and have everything you need, right down to bathrobes. The spa tub in the master ensuite is huge, and takes up most of the bathroom. The kitchen was well equipped, and there was even a small packet of Vittoria coffee for the plunger, which was a nice touch.

The TV in the lounge area was cable channels only (mainly sport), and the TV in the master bedroom was free to air channels. There is an iPod dock too.

A compendium detailing restaurant hours/menu, resort information and local phone numbers etc. would have been handy.

The pool area is lovely, well maintained, and pool towels are provided. It’s only quite small, however most people are out all day so it would not be often that the 10 or so chairs are all being used.

The restaurant is al fresco, and the water feature adds to the ambience. Staff were very attentive and friendly. Prices were quite reasonable, but portion size was on the small side. The chefs did a great job baking the coral trout caught on my husband's fishing charter, but expect to pay $35 for this, in addition to the entrees, desserts, drinks etc. you purchase at the restaurant.

There is a shuttle bus which goes into town every 2 hours from 9am, with the last one at 7pm. However, if you want to go to Whitsunday Shopping Centre for groceries , you will have to catch a cab. Having said that, if the staff are heading that way, they don’t mind dropping you off, but won’t make a special trip.

Staff at reception booked numerous tours for us (which I have reviewed separately), and promptly fixed a couple of minor maintenance issues in our room. Our request for a late checkout was also accommodated, and this made our last day so much easier – relaxing by the pool.

Peppers isn’t as close to town as many other resorts, but it is in a very quiet location and most of the tour operators pick up/drop off at the resort, so you don’t really need a car.

Airlie is a great spot to be able to choose from a multitude of tour operators - leaving from Able Point or Shute Harbour. We did a floatplane day trip to Hayman Island with Air Whitsunday, visited the Reef, Whitehaven and Daydream Island with Cruise Whitsundays and my husband enjoyed a fishing charter on Jillian 2. Definitely worth staying on the mainland to have so many choices!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Gold Coast
Reviewed 25 September 2009

Our Airlie Beach visit was a much anticipated long weekend away with my man, my sis and her hubby. Be warned .. all the good spots in Airlie are on a hill - this place included, but the view is worth the climb. Staff were friendly on check-in and our 2 bedroom apartment did not disappoint. This is a new resort so you'd expect everything to be well presented. Both bedrooms were large, and had ensuite bathrooms. Could not believe the size of the spa bath in the main bathroom which never got used. Full kitchen .. in fact we could happily have spent the full weekend in our apartment. Probably the best feature was the huge balcony with views out to the Coral Sea.

Their restaurant was busy on the Saturday night so we instead chose to try it on the Sunday. Meals were reasonably priced - around $16 for an entree with mains in the late $20's. Compared to the other places we'd eaten in town this meal was a stand out. Overall a good experience and what I'd expect of a Peppers resort.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Melbourne
Reviewed 25 September 2009

Please do not misinterpret the comments I make as a reason not to stay at Peppers Coral Coast. I have purely benchmarked it against other Pepper Resorts I have had the pleasure of staying at and also alternative accommodation I have stayed at in Airlie Beach area
VALUE FOR MONEY
We paid $179 per night for a large one bedroom apartment. I believe this was great value for money
LOCATION
Great location. Up on a steep hill, as is all the good accommodation in Airlie, overlooking the ocean and some of the tropical green hinterland forest. Nice comfortable walk into the main strip of town along a well lit pavement. You can grab a $6 taxi ride if the short but very steep hill is too much for you. I don't advise trekking up the hill with bags. Call the hotel and see if the hotel mini bus is available. The great location shields you from the "backpacker" pub noise at some of the other hotels located at the other end of town
ACCOMMODATION
These are spacious apartments not hotel rooms and there was a well stocked mini bar. Very modern and with quality fitouts. Don't expect glitz here , more your functional city slicker decor. Kitchen had everything you needed to maintain self catering if preferred. Room service was available upon request from the restaurant. The beds were firm and comfortable with an very very spacious ensuite spa bathroom. Flatscreen TVs with Austar viewing in living area and bedroom. Ipod dock/radio/clock in the kitchen ( handy for charging your ipod or iphone if you forget your i-charger)
AMENITIES
Here is where this Peppers does not match the standards of any other Peppers I have stayed at and really falls into the Apartment Block category rather than resort. It is not a resort so it lacks many basic amenities we have come to enjoy and expect at 4**** properties.
The pool is small and not heated ( not really required I suppose but would be nice for evening swims when the sun goes down) . It is wedged next to the restaurant and bar and does not offer much privacy from those eating at their tables. There is no gym which is a bit a big let down and a basic in all hotels these days. Another basic is the poor WiFi coverage. Wireless service was about $12 for 24 hours of access. Bit slow in room but improved near the foyer. I do not understand why wireless is not free at any hotel. If McDonalds can do it why can't a resort? (interestingly every one could be found outside McDonalds on the main street with their netbooks making use of the free WiFi)
There was an small Endota Spa squeezed into the pool area. I didn't use this so I cannot make comment
We ate at the restaurant with friends for dinner. It was a very nice setting on the terrace over looking the ocean. The menu read very well but we were all left hungry after 3 courses.( I am a thin person who eats out very often worldwide and was surprised with the small portion sizes) . I would not recommend the restaurant as a place for good value. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all bad but we were charged 5-star prices for a menu and food quality I would grade as pub bistros style I have sampled in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane 3 years ago. The great location and service didn't help us overcome this point. They need to lift their game here to meet the Peppers standard
SERVICE LEVELS
The staff were young , fresh, very friendly and highly professional. I highly commend them. I could not fault any staff member. They were a pleasure to deal with

Overall this was a very nice modern comfortable place to stay but really does not shout Peppers!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LPGMelbourne
Brisbane
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We arrived Friday afternoon, the staff were friendly at check-in. Like almost every resort at Airlie, it is on the hill, but who would want to stay at the magnificent Airlie Beach and NOT have a view?? Our balcony was a lovely destination itself. Very large, full size outdoor setting and two deck chairs. It's hard to drag yourself away to go to the pool, but it was a worthwhile trip. On the Sunday night we ate in the restaurant after hearing great reviews about the chef. The food was fantastic, and we were surprised to find the chef was having the night off and our meals were prepared by his juniors. Obviously taught well. The rooms are clean, and the decor subtle and classy.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 10 in Airlie Beach
Pinnacles Resort
Pinnacles Resort
#2 of 54 in Airlie Beach

Been to Peppers Airlie Beach? Share your experiences!