“Anniversary Celebration!”

Solberge Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newby Wiske
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I returned to Solberge Hall Hotel to celebrate 10 years of married life as this is where we had our reception a decade ago. A big surprise 16 people for Dinner in the Drawing Room (thanks Hub!) - which was absolutely amazing.....Ben and Silvana were excellent as was the food. Thanks Solberge for a ten year anniversary to remember.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
DraysonKohli, General Manager at Solberge Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2014

Dear LadyWard1
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about Solberge Hall! It was a pleasure organising the surprise and I am delighted to read that we didn’t disappoint you and that you found the food and service quality outstanding. I will certainly pass your comments onto the team, especially Ben and Silvana. I look forward to welcoming you back to Solberge Hall again soon.

There are newer reviews for Solberge Hall Hotel

Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband and I have just returned from our regular monthly treat night away and this month it was Solberge Hall. As we approached up the gravel drive the sun came out and I was impressed this is a grand looking building in picturesque grounds.
The receptionist was lovely and friendly and check in a breeze we were taken to a huge comfortably appointed room with, unfortunately a very large off putting stain on the ceiling above the bed I tried to ignore it but my eyes were constantly drawn to it, really all this needed was a spray of stain stop and a coat of paint!! There were also cobwebs on the chandelier which was only 6 feet from the floor so easily accessible with a feather duster. The room had no views of the grounds at all.
We had a couple of drinks outside in the sun followed by a lovely afternoon tea all served by the attentive Kevin who seems to get a mention in every review he should be very proud.
The day was almost perfect I say almost perfect because dinner disappointed. I had English asparagus with a crispy hens egg which was a revelation but 2 spears of asparagus, really! and my husbands 'king' scallops were barely the size of 2 pence pieces. My chicken dish was fine but my husband had a steak which he physically couldn't eat it was so chewy and had no flavour we did tell our waitress Paige and got a stock and not very heartfelt apology. The other problem was the music in the dining room which was funereal, I like classical music as a background to dining but this was morose and sleep inducing the same music played all night in the bar also and did not encourage conviviality. We were not the only guests who had this opinion but despite asking for it to be changed the dirge continued.
We had a good nights sleep and breakfast did not wow but it was well cooked and presented.
On checkout we were asked by the lovely Bulgarian receptionist, sorry I did not get your name, w if we'd enjoyed our stay and on hearing about our dinner disappointment she was most upset and reduced our bill to reflect this, thank you.
All in all not a bad stay but this hotel is a 3* no matter what other guests say and it does need to smarten up a little.

Room Tip: Room 12 has the stain on the ceiling and no views of the grounds at all.
3  Thank fredmeadows

Dear Fredmeadows
Thank you for taking the time to express your comments about Solberge Hall and for your lovely words about the hotel’s setting and the team members.
I have reviewed all your comments with the team and we take all feedback seriously and act upon it constructively. We are currently undertaking investment to ensure that all our bedrooms reach the quality and comfort that our guests expect and I have noted your particular comments in relation to Room 12. I have also implemented a review of our Dining Room Menu, to ensure the quality of local produce is reflected in each dish.

My sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations on this visit, but I do hope you will have the opportunity to revisit us again in the near future in order to see our continuous improvements. We look forward to welcoming you back to Solberge Hall.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed here overnight for a wedding. The wedding was brilliantly organised - from the ceremony to the evening entertainment. From what I saw I can highly recommend to any other brides-to-be. The room (no 5) was large with a huge bathroom. Clean and fresh. The staff were helpful and breakfast was delicious. Would stay again

Room Tip: Rooms at the front I think would be quieter if there is a party going on. Room 5 had good views ove...
3  Thank whhammond

Dear Whhammond
I very much appreciate your wonderful review of the hotel. I am pleased you had a lovely time, thank you for your recommendation and I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I was told by a staff member this is a Macdonald Hotel, not owned by them, but a managed venture.
You can't fault the location, being ideally suited for trips either to the North Yorkshire Moors National Park or the Yorkshire Dales National Park and Northallerton is worth a visit.
The driveway to the house was lined with daffodils, the lawns trimmed and with extensive views over the fields and countryside. I suggest you avoid parking under the large trees to the right as on our visit the branches proved a popular roost for nesting crows, the consequences evident in the morning!
The staff were welcoming and check in was easy.
The room was large, the bed comfortable and all usual attributes were there. Unfortunately there was no view from the room, well, only over the fire escape.
When I sleep I like a window to be open for fresh air. This room had sash windows which didn't work anymore, the counter weight did not hold it open so it jammed a cup under the frame. This need attention.
Dinner was excellent. Service was prompt and all dishes ordered met with approval.
Breakfast. This was an entirely different story. I can't recall ever waiting so long for a full breakfast to arrive. From being seated to the presentation was 50 minutes. This has never happened at any of the other Macdonald Hotels I've stayed in. The weak excuse was that all the guests came down at the same time. It transpired there was just one chef in the kitchen that morning. It was the same thing next day, though this time a slightly shorter wait.
Lets hope its work in progress.
As with all reviews this was just based on one visit and others you will read will be different, so go and try it for yourself and share your experiences.

Room Tip: Avoid the fire escape!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank silverdale15

Dear Silverdale15
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Solberge Hall. We are very lucky to be situated in such a beautiful location and thank you for your kind comments regarding our team. We do pride ourselves in providing a friendly and professional customer service.
I do take all feedback very seriously and I am sorry to hear that you were allocated a room without a countryside or panoramic view. Regarding your wait at breakfast, I assure you this is an isolated situation and I am truly sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We are currently undertaking a major investment to ensure that all our bedrooms reach the quality that every guest expects! We hope that you have plans to visit the hotel again to see our continuous improvements. Please contact me directly before booking and I will ensure that you have a room with a lovely view of the surrounding Hambleton Hills.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Visited the Solberge for 2 nights to attend wedding. Beautiful grounds as you drive to the entrance. Reception staff very friendly. Room was nice though no heating, bed very comfy.Food was great, hotel a little tired in places but what makes this hotel is the staff every one of them,friendly, courteous but an extra special mention to Kevin who looked after us very polite and helpful. Worth a visit.

Room Tip: Stayed in the courtyard not much sunshine filters into room. Beware if disabled asked for ground flo...
1  Thank chrisrhy

Dear Chrisrhy
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Solberge Hall. I am pleased to read your lovely comments about our team and will ensure these are passed on to them. I am delighted you enjoyed the day and I hope we will see you again soon!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in an extremely spacious room with super king sized bed, sofa, antique armchair, large wardrobe and amazing triple mirrored dressing table - fabulous for doing your hair! There was a very generous bathroom and the quirky plumbing (the hot water had along way to travel and you had to run the tap a little while for it to come through) was charming. There was a great view of fields and the only sounds were the birds singing ands lambs bleating......such peace. The deal included dinner which we enjoyed very much after a pre-prandial snifter in the bar. The staff were friendly, professional and very well trained. The breakfast was one of the best I have ever had due to the inclusion of things such as figs and mango coulis to add to the already large array of fruits and cereals. there was also a large selection of hot dishes as well as continental breakfast items. We visited the Dales and the coast and had an excellent time.

Room Tip: Our room number 4 and was lovely. Room 3 has a double aspect and assuming it is as large as room 4 m...

Dear 3Angie76
We very much appreciate your wonderful review of your recent stay at the Hall. The recently refurbished rooms are all finished to a high quality but you had a particularly large room with beautiful views over the adjacent countryside which we are glad you enjoyed so much. We are extremely proud of our Yorkshire breakfast and hopefully we will see you again very soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is our second stay at this hotel..Stayed one night in room 18 on this occasion. Very spacious with a large bathroom on a lower level. Dined in restaurant - compact menu for dinner-well presented and served by friendly but professional staff. Same at breakfast-good choice and freshly cooked. Close to Northallerton and Thirsk-both worth a visit as Yorkshire Market Towns-also within striking distance of the coast. Drinks in the bar on the expensive side but overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Room 3 has beautiful views over the surrounding farming lanscape

Dear MickD
Thank you very much indeed for your great review of the hotel. We are delighted you decided to come back a second time and were happy with your room, food and service. We very much look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit and thank you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newby Wiske
#2 of 5 in Ripon
The Cleveland Tontine
The Cleveland Tontine
#1 of 1 in Staddlebridge

Been to Solberge Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!